Toronto's Shame

HeldDownHeldDown Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
edited January 9, 2006 in People
Wasn't sure if this should be Urban of People, but I feel it's more peoplecentric.

This is a memorial outside of Reilly's Pub in Toronto, near the corner of Yonge Street and Gould Street. On this spot, at 5pm December 26th, a 15 year old girl was accidentally shot and killed during a gang shoot-out. In a crowd of hundreds of shoppers, Jane Creba was hit by a stray bullet from the gun of a seventeen year old. Another teenager. Ironically, Jane was the only mortality; none of the gang members appear to have been hit.

This memorial has sprung up at the spot of her death; at the busiest part of the busiest street in the busiest city in Canada, pedestrians are stopping to read poems, look at pictures, and light candles in honour of Jane Creba.

On January 6th, I made a point of going back to the memorial with my camera. This struck home for me; I live only a block away, attend university steps away, and can usually be found with my friends in the very pub this memorial is nearly blocking. There have been half a dozen fatal, gang-related shootings on my block since June of 2005, but this one hit home hardest. This was not a 2am shooting -- it happened during dinner. So I felt that this girl needed someone taking pictures of her memories; not someone being paid by the Toronto Star or National Post, but someone who felt a little more connected.

I spent an hour shooting the memorial. As I stood there, I literally watching hundreds of people pass by. Some stopped for a second; fewer stopped for a few minutes, holding solemn silence. Many walked right past. The only constant visitor was the man you will see in "Vigil." He was there before I arrived, and was still hard at work when I left, cleaning up debris, relighting candles, arranging the many testimonials and gifts left by visitors. He did all of this in silence. He took small notice of me, but did not seem offended by my presence. I gathered from what I saw that this man was likely Jane Creba's father, and I was incredibly moved by his devotion to her. He appears in nearly every photo I took that night, whether by chance or by composition -- he felt as permanent as the signs, the candles, and the toys.

So I will do my part. I will not write a poem, nor light a candle, though I have the greatest respect for those who do. Rather, I will share my pictures with everyone here, and I encourage you to share them with your loved ones. This is my tribute to Jane Creba, the 15 year old high school student who was shot dead by another child. Take a second to think about that. And if you are ever in any situation in which you have influence against anything that could result in this, please do something. Hundreds of people are senselessly killed every day in gun-related violence. Jane Creba was only one of them.

Don't forget any of them.

Memorial-1_FRAMED-1.jpg

Memorial-2-CROPPED_FRAMED.jpg
imageNATION
SEEING THE WORLD IN A WHOLE NEW LIGHT...
http://www.imag-e-nation.net

Comments

• HeldDownHeldDown Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    One more. Pano, with the assistance of AutoStitch.

Memorial-3-FRAMED.jpg
    imageNATION
    SEEING THE WORLD IN A WHOLE NEW LIGHT...
    http://www.imag-e-nation.net
  • MattGoinsMattGoins Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    Excellent shots.
  • WaterfallRichWaterfallRich Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    What a shame
    Excellent captures - I really like the last one
  • Lee MasseyLee Massey Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    Hi Geordan,

Nice pictures... I live just outside of Toronto but this has hit home for many of us too... My parents went to one of the vigils that were held for this poor girl.
    HeldDown wrote:
    I gathered from what I saw that this man was likely Jane Creba's father, and I was incredibly moved by his devotion to her.

As a relatively new father I can't imagine how a father would cope with something of this nature. I don't believe that words could express the emotions...
    HeldDown wrote:
    And if you are ever in any situation in which you have influence against anything that could result in this, please do something. Hundreds of people are senselessly killed every day in gun-related violence. Jane Creba was only one of them.

Don't forget any of them.

Well said and thanks for the post...

Take care...

Lee
  • StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    All this sensless killing.............. gun control laws do not do a thing to stop this, the criminal elements still have them.

The tribute is touching and shows the sadness of a great city. Your tribute is all the more touching with your closeness to the area. My heart goes out to her father and family.
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    Thank you for sharing your excellent images!
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    Moving post, HeldDown. And excellent storytelling with your photos.

Thanks for sharing this, I had not heard about the sad event.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    Beautiful photos, especially the last one, its a very sad thing when someones life is taken away.

Thanks for such great photos HeldDown and the thought.
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.