Options

Is there a Permanent gallery link that survives folder rearrangement?

FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
edited January 29, 2016 in SmugMug Support
I have public galleries and provide links that are used on other web sites. They look like this:

http://www.captivephotons.com/Events/FGCUMBB/USCU011616

They are just from the address bar when viewing the gallery, and matches the get-a-link popup.

Those have structure, i.e. a folder for Events, and under that one for each sport.

So what if I wanted to rearrange, for example a folder for Events, then School, then sport. That would change these links.

Am I correct there is no way to maintain the links while changing the folder structure?

Is there a "permanent" link to a gallery I should be using instead? Maybe variations on some of those tricks being discussed for making galleries anonymous?

Comments

• Options
    JenuineJenuine Registered Users Posts: 155 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 29, 2016
    Hello Ferguson,

In New Smug the gallery links follow the hierarchy of the organization, so if the gallery is moved the link to the gallery reflects that the hierarchy therefore the link. There is a work around that may help in this scenario. If you use the Hide Owner option on a gallery that creates a link with a tag, gallery/album ID.

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/en/portal/articles/93131-can-i-hide-the-account-owner-information-for-a-gallery-?b_id=1644

You may then take that link and attach it to the end of your site url and then be directed to that gallery even if it has been moved to a different folder since the locator is the album ID. So on the gallery that you linked the url could be,

http://www.captivephotons.com/gallery/n-Dm5Sj8/

Once you get the gallery/album ID for the gallery you may turn the Hide Owner OFF and still the link will work and will remain with the gallery no matter where it may be moved on the site.
    Jen
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2016
    Jenuine wrote: »

Once you get the gallery/album ID for the gallery you may turn the Hide Owner OFF and still the link will work and will remain with the gallery no matter where it may be moved on the site.

Interesting. I may start doing that, though it is less human-typable than the regular link, it certainly is nice it is durable.

While I like the folder hierarchy, there are times I wish the URL you specify was independent of the folder/gallery structure, but I guess that's too baked in to consider changing.
  • Options
    JenuineJenuine Registered Users Posts: 155 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 29, 2016
    Hello Ferguson,

The link may be a bit less convenient, but it certainly bridges the gap in allowing your site information to be visible in the link and still access the gallery. Using Hide Owner would do he same, though it would hide the specifics to your site, which may not be what you desire for this use.

Best,
    Jen
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2016
    Jenuine wrote: »
    Hello Ferguson,

The link may be a bit less convenient, but it certainly bridges the gap in allowing your site information to be visible in the link and still access the gallery. Using Hide Owner would do he same, though it would hide the specifics to your site, which may not be what you desire for this use.

Best,

Yes, sorry, didn't mean to sound negative, it is exactly what I need in terms of utility, just the upper/lower codes are not user friendly if one has to type, rather than click the link.

But for most of these they are clickable.

What I need now is a time machine and go start doing this 3-4 years ago. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2016
    If I'm following the issue, there is another option to allow you to grab the permalink, which is a Chrome extension you can find here: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=247592

On Chrome, you click the icon and up pops the permalink. This link will survive if you move a gallery to a different folder.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited January 29, 2016
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    If I'm following the issue, there is another option to allow you to grab the permalink, which is a Chrome extension you can find here: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=247592

On Chrome, you click the icon and up pops the permalink. This link will survive if you move a gallery to a different folder.
    Thanks for the reminder Chancy! That's very helpful.

--- Denise
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2016
    Thanks for the reminder Chancy! That's very helpful.

--- Denise

The Chrome tool also will give you a complete set of gallery links in permalink format. That's helpful for me sometimes - to just have the full set in one view, where I can right-click grab (out of notepad or even Word) a link, instead of having to navigate to the specific page first.