Options

High Pass Processed Lichen Images

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
edited January 30, 2016 in Holy Macro
I was not entirely satisfied with the amount of detail in the images from the Printing Nikkor 150mm plus TC. What was real and what was artefact from processing?

I have using much the same processing again but via a duplicate layer, in the High Pass filter process I have featured previously. As yet, I am unsure when to use this.

In each of these crosseye stereo pairs one images is very slightly sharper than the other, at least in some parts. The singles frames are, in each case, the better of the two.

I have checked back with the RAW files and the details present are reproduced in the processed images.

The black background of the second set still has some kind of noise, which NR makes worse. I need to check what produces this but it seem related to bokeh.

Harold

1250230.jpg?ts=1454145129

1250231.jpg?ts=1454145129

1250232.jpg?ts=1454145129

1250233.jpg?ts=1454145129

Comments

• Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2016
    These look a lot more "natural" to me Harold.
    Brian v.
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2016
    These look a lot more "natural" to me Harold.
    Brian v.

Thanks, Brian.

I agree. Those fine speckles are all in the RAW images. I reduced the amount of micro contrast correction of diffraction for these. I doubt that I can eliminate it altogether at that aperture,

The next step may be to use my usual ISO 400, instead of the 200 used here, and perhaps move the rear flash closer, to shorten the flash exposure.

Fortunately, these lichens last a while and can be shot again.

Harold
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2016
    Here is another pair. I increased the ISO from 200 to 400 and placed the flash guns closer to the subject, all so as to minimise the flash duration. I also tried to get the plane of much of the subject parallel with the focal plane. The lens was resting on a bean bag.

Again at 1:1., f11 on lens, TC in place

I believe that there is some further improvement and this seems to be the way to proceed.

Harold

1250271.jpg?ts=1454162493
  • Options
    GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited January 30, 2016
    the last set look much sharper with more clarity Harold
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2016
    GOLDENORFE wrote: »
    the last set look much sharper with more clarity Harold

Thanks, Phil.

I think I have made life difficult for myself by choosing a three-dimensional subject on a (differently) three-dimensional substrate. I was hoping to find some mosses with fruiting bodies but they have none at present. Anyway, lichens are subjects where additional DOF could make all the difference, all the more so with stereo pairs.

Harold