Options

ACR Adobe Camera Raw Idea

antibioticantibiotic Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited February 1, 2016 in Digital Darkroom
:dunnoHello all,
I was experimenting with Adobe Camera Raw,, and I opened my Canon 5D MarkII a 21mp, yet in camera raw at the bottom, i changed the setting to a 50mp and both have close results, a little softer on the 50 size.

Also should I import my raw files in at 96 or 200 resolution, if I set it at 96, then I also get a bigger print, then I up the resolution in Photoshop CS6, they both look great, yet I also get a bigger print to work with and crop.:barb

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,919 moderator
    edited January 30, 2016
    I don't really understand what setting you changed. The number of pixels is fixed by the sensor and you can't change the raw pixels. You can resample the image to make it larger (or smaller) in PS if you need to for some reason, but this will not improve the image quality, ever. It will only degrade it to a greater or lesser extent, which may be appropriate if you're printing something huge that will be viewed at a distance.

Resolution is strictly an output issue. Your image will have the pixels it has regardless of what import or working resolution you set. Resolution determines how much space the pixels occupy on the output medium.
  • Options
    antibioticantibiotic Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited January 30, 2016
    Adobe Camera Raw
    when you open a raw picture the ARC pre-corrections appear,, done at the bottom there is a high-lighted bar,, go into that and try changing the camera pixel size like I have a 21mp canon, i made it a 50mp,, and it came out very nice.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,806 moderator
    edited January 31, 2016
    While it's true that all Bayer imaging chips have a fixed number of photosites, none are complete for either chrominance (color) or luminance information because of the color filter over each and every photosite. Bayer chips generally have an R-G-B-G filter sequence and every photosite must be interpolated during the demosaicing function of the image's RAW processing, either in-camera or in post-processing.

Since every photosite must be interpolated anyway, in order to produce pixels (picture elements), it actually does make some sense to also interpolate for the number of pixels (but mostly if the RAW processor does the upres during demosaicing). The advantages include:
    A much greater harvest of pixels for further noise reduction and sharpening algorithms, which simply gives greater control over halos, etc. (I greatly prefer to defer noise reduction for the post-RAW phase of image processing for critical work.) Specifically, High-Pass and Deconvolution sharpening can both get grainy rather quickly, so adding more pixels beforehand makes a lot of sense.

A demonstrable improvement over image rotation and straightening operations, even though Adobe does use sub-pixel rendering for those operations. Stair-stepping and aliasing issues mostly go away with the increase in pixels.

Using multiple captures of the same subject and then combining the images in post for resolution and detail increase and/or noise reduction also improves with RAW upres first, IMO.

BTW, I commented on this very issue previously :

Using ACR 5.6 to interpolate/upres crazy high, Feb-11-2010

I have been using the process of RAW interpolation for size ever since (but not on every image, just those which I feel may need it).
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2016
    I forgot all about this!

Sam
  • Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2016
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    While it's true that all Bayer imaging chips have a fixed number of photosites, none are complete for either chrominance (color) or luminance information because of the color filter over each and every photosite. Bayer chips generally have an R-G-B-G filter sequence and every photosite must be interpolated during the demosaicing function of the image's RAW processing, either in-camera or in post-processing.

Since every photosite must be interpolated anyway, in order to produce pixels (picture elements), it actually does make some sense to also interpolate for the number of pixels (but mostly if the RAW processor does the upres during demosaicing). The advantages include:
    A much greater harvest of pixels for further noise reduction and sharpening algorithms, which simply gives greater control over halos, etc. (I greatly prefer to defer noise reduction for the post-RAW phase of image processing for critical work.) Specifically, High-Pass and Deconvolution sharpening can both get grainy rather quickly, so adding more pixels beforehand makes a lot of sense.

A demonstrable improvement over image rotation and straightening operations, even though Adobe does use sub-pixel rendering for those operations. Stair-stepping and aliasing issues mostly go away with the increase in pixels.

Using multiple captures of the same subject and then combining the images in post for resolution and detail increase and/or noise reduction also improves with RAW upres first, IMO.
    BTW, I commented on this very issue previously :

Using ACR 5.6 to interpolate/upres crazy high, Feb-11-2010

I have been using the process of RAW interpolation for size ever since (but not on every image, just those which I feel may need it).

eek7.gifbowdown.gif You continually amaze me at the breadth and depth of your knowledge!!!

Great info.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com