Imitating Daddy

4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
edited January 10, 2006 in People
Yes another picture of my daughter. I'd love if someone would comment on her skin tones. I having been reading all the info on it and am driving myself bonkers.

51724377-M-1.jpg

Comments

• AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited January 9, 2006
    were you sticking your tongue out too? rolleyes1.gif
    she's a beauty.

except for a little too much brightness at her nose and tops of cheeks the skin tone is quite nice.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    Eric,
    She's getting big! Samantha is a beauty.iloveyou.gif

I can't measure the skin tones here at work (no PS). The cheeks do look a little hot.

Is that just a straight SB800 I see in her eyes or is there a Lumiquest softbox over it?
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    Morning Sam
    my what pretty eyes you have.

Hey Dad, yeah maybe tone it down a notch on the skin only and see what that looks like.

She's looking pretty good to me thumb.gif:D
  • Fred MaurerFred Maurer Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    Great shot, (a little bright on monitor at work). I can almost see you in her eyes! Is it a Lightsphere PJ?

Fred
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    Thnxs guys! I will definately tone it down some. Mitchell it is an sb800 with a lightshpere, on camera and bounced off the ceiling which is the extent of my lighting knowledge at this point. I prefer natural light but it isn't always available.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    too much magenta, not enough yellow. pull back on the magenta mostly, add a touch yellow, IMO.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    i think it looks great!

if she was really imitating you, she would look like this: :photo
    edited January 9, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    too much magenta, not enough yellow. pull back on the magenta mostly, add a touch yellow, IMO.

Somehow I knew that was coming. I just can't get it right...
    edited January 9, 2006
    binghott wrote:
    i think it looks great!

if she was really imitating you, she would look like this: :photo
    I am sure she will be soon enough! Thnxs Barry !
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

I was going to say it looked good. I see lots of yellow in the top of forehead and around the chin. I think she's a pretty fair skinned baby and the pink is natural. I would like to see the nose and cheeks toned down. But, my question is what is the best way to do that?
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
    edited January 9, 2006
    snapapple wrote:
    I was going to say it looked good. I see lots of yellow in the top of forehead and around the chin. I think she's a pretty fair skinned baby and the pink is natural. I would like to see the nose and cheeks toned down. But, my question is what is the best way to do that?

Even if you don't add any yellow, and I'm not sure that you need any, there is just too much magenta. She'll look burned in print.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited January 9, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Even if you don't add any yellow, and I'm not sure that you need any, there is just too much magenta. She'll look burned in print.

I printed it already and I woudln't say she looks burnt but it was a tad red which was teh reason I asked for comments to begin with. I can't get it right. All I seem to be able to do is move the magenta around.
    edited January 9, 2006
    4labs wrote:
    I printed it already and I woudln't say she looks burnt but it was a tad red which was teh reason I asked for comments to begin with. I can't get it right. All I seem to be able to do is move the magenta around.

Are you working in RGB or LAB?
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited January 9, 2006
    I used this tut
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2006
    I think she looks great too, can we see the one you with the same expression :D
    edited January 10, 2006
    4labs wrote:
    I used this tut

In that tute it says to find representative parts of the skin and make sure that the magenta is always less than the yellow. I took a look, and you're not too far off, but there is too much magenta, IMO.

I ignored the areas where the yellow blanket is reflecting on the skin, since I don't think that's representative of the skin tone. I picked 3 points on the cheeks and nose, and they all read as having more magenta than yellow.

Try lowering the highlights in R (5 points, mebbe) slightly, raising them even less in G (1-2) and lowering in B (1-2). I think this makes the color better, but leaves the image a little wimpy. You'd have to play with it to get the pop back.

You could also make the moves in LAB (my favorite method), but I don't know if you're into LAB yet....

Anyway, that's my two cents...
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited January 10, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    In that tute it says to find representative parts of the skin and make sure that the magenta is always less than the yellow. I took a look, and you're not too far off, but there is too much magenta, IMO.

I ignored the areas where the yellow blanket is reflecting on the skin, since I don't think that's representative of the skin tone. I picked 3 points on the cheeks and nose, and they all read as having more magenta than yellow.

Try lowering the highlights in R (5 points, mebbe) slightly, raising them even less in G (1-2) and lowering in B (1-2). I think this makes the color better, but leaves the image a little wimpy. You'd have to play with it to get the pop back.

You could also make the moves in LAB (my favorite method), but I don't know if you're into LAB yet....

Anyway, that's my two cents...

Thnxs David I will have to catch up on LAB, I should learn it...