Mousetrap!

thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
edited January 15, 2006 in People
Hello,
I've been working on the headshots for the play I'm in "The Mousetrap" by Agatha Christie. Not all are the best because of the lighting I was using or didn't have. However, I think everyone is happy. Here is part of the process. Making a poster to get people to go. The shots here will be used as the headshots.
Thanks,
Ashley
Green is the way to be!
ashleyharding.smugmug.com

Comments

• snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    Hello,
    I've been working on the headshots for the play I'm in "The Mousetrap" by Agatha Christie. Not all are the best because of the lighting I was using or didn't have. However, I think everyone is happy. Here is part of the process. Making a poster to get people to go. The shots here will be used as the headshots.
    Thanks,
    Ashley

Hi Ashley,

The headshots look good. The words "Agatha Christie's" is not centered. Just a nit.mwink.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    Making a poster to get people to go.
    Ashley

As I see it, the problem isn't so much with the headshots, it's with the layout of the poster itself. I suggest you may get some ideas that are very easy to follow and understand in this book.
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    I've just been working on some similar photoshop layouts and creating them is harder than I had guessed. Good work.

Other than the centering of Agatha Christie as already mentioned, the only other thing that I noticed is the headshots themselves. I know you've already completed them but I'd rather they were all matching, ie: everyone with eye contact & smile, or everyone not.

Anyway thumb.gif
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    Maybe a couple things. Center Agatha Christie. Maybe include a quick blurb about the play. General story. Myself not having seen the play or read this book (I am assuming it is in book form), just a poster about a play I am unfamiliar with doesn't interest me. Also location and times? Are these pics of the actors playing the parts? Are any stars or well known where you are advertising? I ask this because you have dedicated alot of space to their images, so I assumed they must be important.

A couple of ideas. Maybe make the images smaller give yourself more space for info and include a graphic of a unrecognizable person holding a gun or knife.

Maybe do the question in a different color. Also spliting up the title from Agatha Christie lost me for a moment. I wasn't sure what the title was until after I had reviewed the poster a couple of times.

You could try the question at the top and then the eight images 2 rows of 4. Then the info below.

Just some ideas. Hope this helps.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    I've just been working on some similar photoshop layouts and creating them is harder than I had guessed. Good work.

Other than the centering of Agatha Christie as already mentioned, the only other thing that I noticed is the headshots themselves. I know you've already completed them but I'd rather they were all matching, ie: everyone with eye contact & smile, or everyone not.

Anyway thumb.gif

I rather like that the images aren't all uniform. Just my $.02
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
    edited January 9, 2006
    bham wrote:
    I rather like that the images aren't all uniform. Just my $.02
    I agree, and I'd also check the spelling as a minimum so people aren't confused as to when this play is being performed.
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    i really ilke the pictures, but i'm not completely fond of the poster. among other things, i'd probably put the word "january" on a seperate line from the rest of the date and time.

also, i'm pretty sure that the best way to attract attention is through color. at school, the only posters i usually notice are the brightly colored ones.

i hope that helps.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    Here's what popped into my mind. I think the head shots are fine, but the poster is too centered, it looks like 3 different fonts, and the date is squished.

Maybe try a more random approach. Have the title large Prominent, in the middle, with the head shots spread around at random. It's a mystery remember? Perhaps with the characters job / position under their photo. Like The Butler? The maid? Date / place should be easy to see as well, but maybe make the eyes wander all over to look at all the characters.

The idea and effort are good, I just think the elements you have need to be repositioned.

But then again what do I know?

Sam
  • thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    Sorry, the reply took so long. Thanks for all your suggestions! Agatha Christie was intentionally put off center but I see how it can be a touchy point.
    I took your advice, especially Sam's when trying something different. What do you think about this?
    I took into account what you told me and what other people said.
    Where?- Even thought there is only one place where it can be at the university.
    Date?- Not so squashed.
    Time?- Even thought all plays start at the same time here and so forth.
    Who?- Someone, thought they were people off TV while others knew the face but wanted the name.
    Pictures- My friend like the pictures and wanted them to be more prominate.
    Ashley
    Green is the way to be!
    ashleyharding.smugmug.com
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    I like this one better. Still seems to be a little busy, but then again you are putting in a lot of info. It does make you look around and actually see the individual elements of the poster.

Good work.

Sam
    edited January 14, 2006
    Date?- Not so squashed.
    ... but what's that month again?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    ... but what's that month again?

Ashley, what he is saying, is "check the spelling of 'Janurary' it should really be 'January' "

wave.gif Ashley

All the best,
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    Ashley

As I see it, the problem isn't so much with the headshots, it's with the layout of the poster itself. I suggest you may get some ideas that are very easy to follow and understand in this book.

I love that book, highly recommend it. In fact I have recommended it many times. In fact, WWW, you've stolen my line!

give it back.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    Sorry, the reply took so long. Thanks for all your suggestions! Agatha Christie was intentionally put off center but I see how it can be a touchy point.
    I took your advice, especially Sam's when trying something different. What do you think about this?
    I took into account what you told me and what other people said.
    Where?- Even thought there is only one place where it can be at the university.
    Date?- Not so squashed.
    Time?- Even thought all plays start at the same time here and so forth.
    Who?- Someone, thought they were people off TV while others knew the face but wanted the name.
    Pictures- My friend like the pictures and wanted them to be more prominate.
    Ashley

This quite nice...clap.gif ..I really like it..thumb.gif ..Great work...You should contact the University I used to work for and set them straight on getting times, dates and spelling correct before printing.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    I find it confusing and difficult to follow.

Here's my thoughts:
    • The names are too large and jumbled up. The "AS" should be even smaller, smaller than the names, that is. Everything looks bold. Make the names lighter than whatever they are, bold or whatever. Make them tall and skinny like on movie posters and broadsheets.
    • The names/headshots also don't line up. Everything needs to align with something, and even though you've got every other pic lining up, it's just a mess. Make a clean line of the pics and text, and maybe even enclose them in a graphic element, like a box, or somthing. Or a gradient. Something.
    • The title is loosey-goosey. Bring that lonely "M" in closer to the rest of the title. It looks so lonely out there. And the "THE" is worse, bring it down and snuggle it up against that "M", making one, unified title. While you're at it, don't forget about Agatha. Bring her down and make her a part of the title, since she is, really...isn't she?
    • Fix your spelling: "JANUARY".
    • The first date line looks different than the second. That's weird.
    • Lose the "TH"s. All they do is clutter up the text making it harder to read.
    • Make the dates and times smaller, while you're at it. Make the location larger.
    • Find a graphic or typographic signature for the piece. Some repeating element that unifies it.

Get that book linked above if you have any interest in doing this again. It's a great book.

The basic rule from that book is: Contrast, Repetition, Alignment, Proximity: CRAP.

Contrast is different than what we mean in photography. Contrasting size, shape, colors, etc. If you're going to contrast, make the contrast big...that's part of the problem with your poster, you haven't been brave enough with contrasting elements.

Repetition, that's what I'm talking about with finding a design element to repeat. It helps the viewer by giving a sense of personality to the poster, and also says:"Here's that graphic element again. This means I should expect....(whatever)."

Alignment: in your poster the alignments are too jumbled. You need stronger lines in the poster made by stronger alignments.

Proximity: put related information together. Youv'e pretty much done that, but because it's all on top of each other, it's hard to tell. Look at how close the theatre/date info is to the actors, which are so close to the title.

Hope that helps...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited January 15, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    The basic rule from that book is: Contrast, Repetition, Alignment, Proximity: CRAP.
    ... with 'contrast' including the use of plenty of white space!

Frankly (and respectfully), the revised layout is no improvement, it's just a jumble, and is likely to detract from the play rather than engender interest in it. To me, the poster conveys an extremely juvenile look. What's it trying to say?