Options

lighthouse rework

WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
edited February 22, 2016 in Landscapes
perusing some images from 2008... this is a re-work of Yaquina Head Lighthouse. Does it work.... ? Worth saving.....?

i-jNqh4Bs-X2.jpg
Lee Wiren

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2016
    Hey Lee, hope you are well! Even though it is lacking traditional hooks that we see in light house shots(light/waves/sunstars/startrails/wide open spaces/etc......but strangely and unexpectedly somewhat appealing.....I like it more when I crop it by scrolling up....right below the window....JMO.
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Hey Lee, hope you are well! Even though it is lacking traditional hooks that we see in light house shots(light/waves/sunstars/startrails/wide open spaces/etc......but strangely and unexpectedly somewhat appealing.....I like it more when I crop it by scrolling up....right below the window....JMO.

Thanks! You are right... that is why I just had to ask... I even took it into my Perfect Effects software and added some additional texturing.... is this better?

i-BxP4LZq-X2.jpg
    Lee Wiren
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2016
    Don't ask my why I took this angle that day.. I did take a typical view of the lighthouse from below, with water, etc.... this is when my brain was not as artistically minded as it is now.....
    Lee Wiren
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2016
    Your processing skills are the tops.....I like the reworked version more! Cheer Lee!
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2016
    Wiren,

As much as a view in real life might look impressive and as much as I have tried, photographs looking up at mountains, buildings, cliffs, etc, seldom translate to great photos.

Please note: I am sure there are exceptions. :D

Sam
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2016
    Thanks Taz... you are too kind, really....

Sam, I agree whole hearted.. I think this is the only image I have ever shot looking up at it.... but I bet if I printed this large, framed it and hung it higher than normal.... it would look great on a wall... and not be surprised if folks walked up to stand right underneath it to enjoy it...rolleyes1.gif

I doubt I will shoot too many of these in my lifetime as I don't think the pov lends itself to a successful image... but I don't think this turned out too bad...

Cheers guys... I'll be trying to rework some imagery, so brace yourselves for the onslaught that may be coming......
    Lee Wiren
  • Options
    JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2016
    This is a pretty cool shot, and I loved shooting this lighthouse when I lived in Depoe Bay.

I like what you're going for here. I almost wonder if you might get another cool up-shot perspective by including the house portion. So, essentially, lay down in front of the house, shooting upward, showcasing more of the house aspect of it. Just curious, nothing more. I really like the shot you produced here!
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2016
    I definitely like the reworked! Very nice!!!!clap.gif
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2016
    This is a pretty cool shot, and I loved shooting this lighthouse when I lived in Depoe Bay.

I like what you're going for here. I almost wonder if you might get another cool up-shot perspective by including the house portion. So, essentially, lay down in front of the house, shooting upward, showcasing more of the house aspect of it. Just curious, nothing more. I really like the shot you produced here!

Interesting idea JonaBeth... The next time i'm there i'll have to give it a go and see what transpires... for that shot I think some stormy moody clouds would really set it off! This image was taken 8 years ago, but the coast is only a couple hours away..... good excuse for a beach trip!
    Lee Wiren