Celtic SnapperCeltic Snapper Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
edited March 5, 2016 in Landscapes
Caernarfon%20Castle-X2.jpg

DSC_0480-X2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,213 moderator
    edited February 24, 2016
    That 2nd shot is the nicer of the two, I think -- less clutter of modern life. A little hot in the brightest portion of the lit walls. That said, the pano is very well done and evokes a nice somber mood with the bluish colors. Would have loved to see what that all looked like so many hundreds of years ago.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2016
    I like second one too Carl! The first one, comp is fantastic as the boats spread out in every direction like flower petals.....but the dark blobs everywhere....kind of messing it up.....and I know you CAN NOT do anything about those....
    Cheers!
  • Options
    Celtic SnapperCeltic Snapper Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2016
    Thanks both. I set out to capture the pano, whilst the sun was up, the tide was in and hiding the muddy beach, but the sky was very bland and featureless. By the time the sun had set, the tide had gone out. I'll class it a practice shot this time and aim to get back there next high tide, hopefully with a colorful sky.

The second shot was an accident grab shot. I was curious what the view was like further down the path, and when I got there I was pleasantly surprised. Time was knocking on and I nearly didn't bother setting the camera up, but I'm glad I did as I too prefer this un-planned shot!

'Happy Accident' as Bob Ross would have called it! :-)
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2016
    Thanks both. I set out to capture the pano, whilst the sun was up, the tide was in and hiding the muddy beach, but the sky was very bland and featureless. By the time the sun had set, the tide had gone out. I'll class it a practice shot this time and aim to get back there next high tide, hopefully with a colorful sky.

The second shot was an accident grab shot. I was curious what the view was like further down the path, and when I got there I was pleasantly surprised. Time was knocking on and I nearly didn't bother setting the camera up, but I'm glad I did as I too prefer this un-planned shot!

'Happy Accident' as Bob Ross would have called it! :-)

Yeah, with high tide, perhaps even a long exposure....the boats would move and it might even add to the shot! Cheers!
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2016
    I like the second one and agree about the center 'hot' spot. I agree - high tide would be awesome!
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited February 25, 2016
    First one is fascinating! clap.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited March 5, 2016
    I'm with kdog, I really like the contrast of the cluttered, contemporary beach with plastic boats at low tide, and the warm tungsten lighting on the ancient castle in the background. I might try to emphasize the orange/blue color contrasts even more to further delineate the contrast between the new and old scenes.

Old castles with tungsten spotlights just after sunset can be really great scene to photograph, and just to look at and enjoy.

I even have a few frames of Eileen Donan at the evening hour from a trip to Scotland, too.

I do like the reflection in the smooth water in the second image as well.

Well done!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin