Options

Blacksmith Shop

EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
edited February 28, 2016 in Street and Documentary
A period re-creation shop in Old Town, San Diego.
Natural, in-direct, low light is a challenging situation (so, high ISO) - but, it makes for better images imo... more of a "period" feel I think.

BlkSmth4-X2.jpg

BlkSmth5-XL.jpg

BlkSmth3-XL.jpg

BlkSmth2-X2.jpg

BlkSmth1-XL.jpg

The color version of #1 has the nice orange tones...
Red%20Hot-X2.jpg
Eric ~ Smugmug

Comments

• Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2016
    I like the b/w conversions better than the color. #4 and 5 really does it!!!!
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,919 moderator
    edited February 26, 2016
    Nice set, Eric. While the conversions are excellent, I think I would go for color when the frame includes anything red hot. One can easily imagine it in #2, but seeing it might be better. That's why I prefer the color version of #1. Matter of taste, I suppose ne_nau.gif.
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2016
    Richard wrote: »
    Nice set, Eric. While the conversions are excellent, I think I would go for color when the frame includes anything red hot. One can easily imagine it in #2, but seeing it might be better. That's why I prefer the color version of #1. Matter of taste, I suppose ne_nau.gif.

Hi Eric,

#4 and #5 are great in BWclap.gif!. However, I agree with Richard on the shots that have red hot iron, color would be better for me.
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2016
    Eia wrote: »
    I like the b/w conversions better than the color. #4 and 5 really does it!!!!
    Thanks for the look and your comments AnnaMaria - Glad you like the B&Ws... I do too, but I also agree with our friends below!
    Richard wrote: »
    Juano wrote: »
    Hi Eric,

#4 and #5 are great in BWclap.gif!. However, I agree with Richard on the shots that have red hot iron, color would be better for me.

Richard, Cristóbal, thanks for looking and commenting - always appreciate your practiced eyes!
    I agree that the color of the red-hot metal is pretty cool... can't un-see it, so, yeah, it seems missing in the B&Ws...
    Sometimes though, I like to pretend color film hasn't been invented yet. :giggle

Red%20Hot2-X2.jpg
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2016
    I like this series a lot, Eric. I'm forever hunting down the blacksmith operations at all the mountain arts and crafts shows I can get to. I once thought of getting into metal working as a hobby....never happened. I'm always amazed at the number of tools these guys work with. Nice work.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2016
    I like this series a lot, Eric. I'm forever hunting down the blacksmith operations at all the mountain arts and crafts shows I can get to. I once thought of getting into metal working as a hobby....never happened. I'm always amazed at the number of tools these guys work with. Nice work.

Tom
    Thank-you Tom!
    I am always impressed by the sheer physical effort it takes to produce forged and hammered iron objects...
    It's a hot, loud, and slow process - lots of patience and determination are needed. thumb.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug