Options

Saguaros

CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
edited February 29, 2016 in Landscapes
They keep grabbing me even when I think I'm tired of them.

Saguaro%20022616%201408%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2016
    Don't be tired of them Don! They keep giving you hits! This one is for lack of better word, PERFECT! And it tugs at my heart right away....at first sight! Brilliant comp/exposure/processing! Cheers!
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2016
    Thanks very much, Taz! It's always rewarding when a shot moves someone.
  • Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,040 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2016
    Love these living statues. Great shot and processing.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2016
    Jo, thank you. "Living statues" is a good description.
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2016
    Cavalier wrote: »
    Love these living statues. Great shot and processing.

15524779-Ti.gif One of your best Don!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2016
    Thanks, Eric.
  • Options
    bristleconebristlecone Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2016
    No.... don't stop. I agree with Taz. The saguaro landscape can be very difficult. I'm almost convinced that they are best in the vertical format. This one of your best. I'm really thinking that I may convert my old T3i to IR.

-Len
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2016
    Thanks, Len.

"I'm almost convinced that they are best in the vertical format." I've analyzed why saguaros are hard to photograph well. I came to the same conclusion. They're a vertical subject that, around here, usually jut into an empty and uninteresting sky.

"I'm really thinking that I may convert my old T3i to IR." I wouldn't discourage anyone from trying infrared but I haven't found many subjects that it handles particularly well except saguaros. (Well, it's also very good for cutting through muck in the atmosphere.) A lot of IR photos look like stunts to me. I don't know the T3i but I would strongly recommend having live view in any IR camera. The metering and focusing tools in cameras are designed for visible light. IR focuses differently and may require a different exposure. With live view, you can get perfect focus and exposure every time except when you foul up, as I often do.
  • Options
    WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2016
    I agree with the group.... you have very pointed subject matter here (sorry, couldn't resist....), I think by looking at different angles, pov's, height of shooting angle, lighting..... these could almost be like shooting people. Add in variations for weather, cloud backgrounds.... I feel this is subject matter you could continually create award winning shots with. While certainly you will want to shoot something else from time to time, you can always come back to these to find your "center" again.

I am wondering.... what this shot in IR? Or did you Post Process it with an IR filter?
    Lee Wiren
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2016
    Lee, thanks. It was shot in IR. I have a converted Canon 60D. And I have been consciously trying to create a series of saguaro shots for quite a while. Trying to come up with new ways of shooting them is a good challenge. It's just that I think I need to photograph other subjects for a while to cleanse my palate.
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2016
    You are showing almost perfect standing saguaro. Never not post them....these guys are one of my favorites. They are hard to portray without the typical back light/sunset.
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2016
    Eia, thanks. Yup, saguaros are a challenge.