Options

Flow

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
edited March 5, 2016 in Landscapes
Uvas Canyon is as County park, half hour from my home. When it rains, its many falls come to life. I went bit later in the season, but this is what I got.

My aspirations were to try and create pseudo-abstracts based on nature. Of course landscape is part of it.

Would greatly appreciate it if you can let me know which ones work, if any.

Cheers!

1)
1W7A3692-X3.jpg

2)
1W7A3667-Edit-X3.jpg

3)
1W7A3702-X3.jpg

4)
1W7A3710-X3.jpg

5)
1W7A3717-X3.jpg

6)
1W7A3742-X3.jpg

7)
1W7A3753-X3.jpg

8)
1W7A3801-X3.jpg

9)
1W7A3805-X3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,039 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2016
    Another nice series, Taz. I think #3 works best for pseudo-abstract with the juxtaposition of the lead pipe with the waterfall.
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2016
    Cavalier wrote: »
    Another nice series, Taz. I think #3 works best for pseudo-abstract with the juxtaposition of the lead pipe with the waterfall.

Thansk Jo! I appreciate it much!
  • Options
    WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2016
    Taz..., I will pick 3, 6 & 8. I agree about the juxtaposition of the pipe in #3 lending it to be my favorite comp with the pipe. I think #8 is great also... with the diagonals you have going there.

My only beef (and I fall prey to this myself) is with your shutter drag in these... it's too long and you have over-softened the water a tad too much. Like I say, I am guilty of this myself and each water shot requires it's own balance of soft water shutter drag and not too much... even the same waterfall may require adjustments depending on the time of year, water volume, flow, etc.

What happens in many of these is that they almost look like x-ray films, where the stronger parts of the flow against the softer, thinner (where the grayness of the rock shows through) is that it gives the feeling of looking at washed out bones on the x-ray panel. You see this most prominently in #5. I think with maybe a little less shutter lag, this problem would have been solved ne_nau.gif

These look like you may have drug the shutter for what... 2 to 4 whole seconds? I am thinking that maybe 1/15 or 1/30 may have done the trick... but maybe that's not what you were aiming for.... if you look at #9 especially, the areas where the water is pooled (thicker) the whites are ghostly bright compared to the rest of the water.... which they generally will always be, but with the extended shutter lag, it pronounces this effect.

Sorry to sound like a downer.... these are good and for your abstract effect you wanted, I do like #3... that pipe placement is pretty cool. Also, I apologize for sounding like a waterfall know it all.... I have shot enough of them to know where I did things wrong and where I found I could improve... thought i'd share my thoughts.

Cheers
    Lee Wiren
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2016
    Wiren wrote: »
    Taz..., I will pick 3, 6 & 8. I agree about the juxtaposition of the pipe in #3 lending it to be my favorite comp with the pipe. I think #8 is great also... with the diagonals you have going there.

My only beef (and I fall prey to this myself) is with your shutter drag in these... it's too long and you have over-softened the water a tad too much. Like I say, I am guilty of this myself and each water shot requires it's own balance of soft water shutter drag and not too much... even the same waterfall may require adjustments depending on the time of year, water volume, flow, etc.

What happens in many of these is that they almost look like x-ray films, where the stronger parts of the flow against the softer, thinner (where the grayness of the rock shows through) is that it gives the feeling of looking at washed out bones on the x-ray panel. You see this most prominently in #5. I think with maybe a little less shutter lag, this problem would have been solved ne_nau.gif

These look like you may have drug the shutter for what... 2 to 4 whole seconds? I am thinking that maybe 1/15 or 1/30 may have done the trick... but maybe that's not what you were aiming for.... if you look at #9 especially, the areas where the water is pooled (thicker) the whites are ghostly bright compared to the rest of the water.... which they generally will always be, but with the extended shutter lag, it pronounces this effect.

Sorry to sound like a downer.... these are good and for your abstract effect you wanted, I do like #3... that pipe placement is pretty cool. Also, I apologize for sounding like a waterfall know it all.... I have shot enough of them to know where I did things wrong and where I found I could improve... thought i'd share my thoughts.

Cheers

Lee greatly appreciate tremendous input!bowdown.gif
    I think I should have experimented with different shutters.....for trying to create dreamlike abstracts, I thought longer shutter would do it. Perhaps I can try again, we still got some moisture. I will try 1/40 then. Cheers!
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2016
    Well, reactions vary. The lead pipe kills 3-5 for me. Anomalies can be very effective, but the pipe just sucks up my attention without offering any payoff.

I like the rest very much. You create an effective mood. That much blur in water appeals to me, but I know that tastes differ. They don't seem particularly abstract to me, although the color balance seems more impressionistic than representational. I'd be very pleased with this group.
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2016
    Cornflake wrote: »
    Well, reactions vary. The lead pipe kills 3-5 for me. Anomalies can be very effective, but the pipe just sucks up my attention without offering any payoff.

I like the rest very much. You create an effective mood. That much blur in water appeals to me, but I know that tastes differ. They don't seem particularly abstract to me, although the color balance seems more impressionistic than representational. I'd be very pleased with this group.

Thanks Don! I needed that input!
    The "pipe" is actually a log, like the one fallen below it, but unfortunately it has too perfect a shape. I considered moving it, but thought it gave something to think about.
    I also thought it looked like a pipe....
    Wherever I have black rock and water....there wasn't much color to fine tune....part of what appealed to me.....also everything was shot in shade.....For the first two, I have pushed the "green luminance" to make moss more prominent....perhaps went over.

Cheers!
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2016
    What I see with my personal eye.... is that it must have been difficult for you to stand there and get the photographs. Did you have to trek down the way and stand in water? What I see is the pipe.... and I assume that is what you wanted us to see within the scene.

#2 is my most favorite without the pipe. The green moss against the rugged dark slippery rock toward the right side background is what I really like. You show that well.

The water seems like a secondary because of the slower shutter speed but maybe that is what you intend.

The colors are fabulous in all of them.
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2016
    Eia wrote: »
    What I see with my personal eye.... is that it must have been difficult for you to stand there and get the photographs. Did you have to trek down the way and stand in water? What I see is the pipe.... and I assume that is what you wanted us to see within the scene.

#2 is my most favorite without the pipe. The green moss against the rugged dark slippery rock toward the right side background is what I really like. You show that well.

The water seems like a secondary because of the slower shutter speed but maybe that is what you intend.

The colors are fabulous in all of them.

Thanks Anna Maria! Walking on slippery rocks was bit hairy but not that bad.
    I did want to highlight the "Pipe", but I was hoping it would come across as a log.....;o)
    I was hoping to shoot #2 from the side to create just a little bit of mystery if I could....and relying on long shutter to get it a second look....but maybe should try bit less shutter....

Many many thanks!
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2016
    So that wAs a log? All the more interest. Keep it even if it needs an explanation!
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2016
    Eia wrote: »
    So that wAs a log? All the more interest. Keep it even if it needs an explanation!

Yes...a log! Cheers!
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Yes...a log! Cheers!

Oops messageses must have been crossed. A pipe... Let it stay!
  • Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,834 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2016
    Taz, as usual you have shot a bunch of beautiful pictures. Although I like them all I do prefer the ones without the pipe.

As to abstract... For me there is too much realism in the forms and nature for it to be abstract. I would classify these more as late-romantic - they remind me a bit of works of my favorite 19th century french romantic painter, Corot.

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers, Sara
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2016
    Taz, as usual you have shot a bunch of beautiful pictures. Although I like them all I do prefer the ones without the pipe.

As to abstract... For me there is too much realism in the forms and nature for it to be abstract. I would classify these more as late-romantic - they remind me a bit of works of my favorite 19th century french romantic painter, Corot.

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers, Sara

Thanks Sarah! I think I had thought at the moment I took the shots that pipe (was a log) was making the shot, but it didn't work. I had gone down to water level to remove it, but had second thoughts.
    Thanks so much for teaching me about Corot. I love that term late-romantic, even if I don't fully know it yet. I shall look it up! Cheers!
  • Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,834 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2016
    Ah, Taz, I understand about those moments of inspiration (the pipe) - that's what makes us creative! And remember it's all subjective here - what one person loves another may dislike.

Glad to have turned you on to Corot!

Cheers, Sara
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,884 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2016
    Hi Taz

Very nice work. #2 and #8 are the nicest in my view. I am not too keen on the pipe, but opinions vary.

Edit: Just read the rest of the post... a log really?? eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2016
    Juano wrote: »
    Hi Taz

Very nice work. #2 and #8 are the nicest in my view. I am not too keen on the pipe, but opinions vary.

Edit: Just read the rest of the post... a log really?? eek7.gif

Hah! Thanks Cristobal! I really appreciate your input as my inspiration was to create Juano-shots.
    I think I know what to do with the pipe now.....rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited March 5, 2016
    Nice work Taz!

I think, perhaps, the shutter speed might have been shortened just a bit in #1 and #2. I would have not changed them for the rest.

As for the log/pipe, I agree, it is just too much for me. Is it not a worthy subject to my eye, compared to the whiter, flowing water behind it, unless maybe these images were for an article on leftover hydraulic structures in aquatic features in state parks, or something similar. If they were a stick that I could remove, I would have. I like the falls behind them a lot.

Thanks for posting these images.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2016
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Nice work Taz!

I think, perhaps, the shutter speed might have been shortened just a bit in #1 and #2. I would have not changed them for the rest.

As for the log/pipe, I agree, it is just too much for me. Is it not a worthy subject to my eye, compared to the whiter, flowing water behind it, unless maybe these images were for an article on leftover hydraulic structures in aquatic features in state parks, or something similar. If they were a stick that I could remove, I would have. I like the falls behind them a lot.

Thanks for posting these images.

Thanks Jim! bowdown.gif I agree completely! We are getting rain in Bay area this week, so falls may have bit longer life. I think I will try to go back as it is literally half hour from my home!