Options

Gorgeous Gray Morning

WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
edited March 1, 2016 in Landscapes
Re-work from spring of 2009 - a typical CRG shot that was fairly lifeless and lame.... maybe i'm pushing the effort needle a little too much and it still is a lame gray typical Vista House image... tried to re-process in the fancy schmancy software to make it more than it was without over cooking it.

Your comments will be deposited in my bank of good tidings with brownie point IOU's forthcoming :wink

i-FfsqPQT-X2.jpg

And in case you wanted to see the starting point..... here is the uncropped, straight out of camera original.....

i-5Bv7cvH-XL.jpg
Lee Wiren

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,216 moderator
    edited March 1, 2016
    From the Portland's Woman's Forum parking lot no doubt. As one who had bad conditions taking that same comp, twice, I know how hazy and blah that view can offer on "mixed" weather days. On yours, I think it still needs a tad more contrast, but there is that fine line between the extra contrast/saturation/vibrance and unreal. In my case I had to settle for some of the unreal look because a re-shoot would involve several thousands of extra miles back there.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2016
    David_S85 wrote: »
    From the Portland's Woman's Forum parking lot no doubt. As one who had bad conditions taking that same comp, twice, I know how hazy and blah that view can offer on "mixed" weather days. On yours, I think it still needs a tad more contrast, but there is that fine line between the extra contrast/saturation/vibrance and unreal. In my case I had to settle for some of the unreal look because a re-shoot would involve several thousands of extra miles back there.

This is one of many trips I have made... I only live about 70 minutes out. On this one, I spent 5 straight weekends trying to get a golden sunrise up the Gorge.... when I got it, it was so searing that the resulting image wasn't what I wanted after all. Oh well, can't go wrong being in the Gorge!
    Lee Wiren
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2016
    Like it! Amazing what you did with what you started out! Comp is fantastic too!
    Cheers Lee!
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,322 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2016
    Your PP work has certainly turned a completely blah image into something that's eons ahead of what it was. I think for this scene to reach it's full potential, however, your starting point needs to be much more favorable than was accorded to you this time around.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2016
    Your PP work has certainly turned a completely blah image into something that's eons ahead of what it was. I think for this scene to reach it's full potential, however, your starting point needs to be much more favorable than was accorded to you this time around.

Take care,

Tom

Thanks Tom, yes, better conditions would certainly have produced a nicer overall image. Unfortunately, sometimes here in the Pac NW, we aren't afforded too many days without rain and when we get a rain break, this is usually what we get. The summer sun lasts just a short period of the year and for weekend warrior photographers, you grab what moments you have to get.

I like to push myself to learn processing for these dull type images. I have had a few times where I had a specific image to take with a deadline and the weather is what it was. You make the best of what you're given and move on. So if for nothing more than the practice in editing a decent image out of blah, it's all worth it.

Not that we don't get the occasional rain break with some scattered sun, it's not all bleak up here, just not as common as in other places. I appreciate all the comments. Have a great day all.
    Lee Wiren