Options

Rare Racing Ferrari

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited April 15, 2016 in Other Cool Shots
1957 Ferrari 335 Sport. Shown here in the livery under which it raced in the 1957 Mille Miglia race.

amelia%202010%20018-X2.jpg

amelia%202010%20123-X2.jpg

amelia%202010%20130-X2.jpg

1955 Ferrari 410 Sport. A hallmark car. The first " super Ferrari ' built.

amelia%202010%20111-X2.jpg

amelia%202010%20012_edited-1-X2.jpg

1962 Ferrari Dino 196 SP

amelia%202010%20100-X2.jpg

amelia%202010%20096-X2.jpg

What the heck? It's a Jaguar interloper. Well, at least it's a great one...a 1955 Jaguar D-Type. Steve McQueen had one very similar to this one.

amelia%202010%20107-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2016
    Good one Tom!
  • Options
    willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2016
    Nice set, Tom

Jag foto brings back nice memories.

My ski-team coach raced a D-Jag.
    It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2016
    Cool pics Tom!
    Although aerodynamic I'm sure, the Ferrari styling looks (to me) a bit strange, compared to today's design sensibilities...
    They're very "curvy"... kinda' like the popular Italian actress' of the day... lol!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Good one Tom!

Many thanks, my friend.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2016
    willard3 wrote: »
    Nice set, Tom

Jag foto brings back nice memories.

My ski-team coach raced a D-Jag.

Thanks for looking in, Willard. Did you ever happen to see your coach run the Jag in a race.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2016
    Earache wrote: »
    Cool pics Tom!
    Although aerodynamic I'm sure, the Ferrari styling looks (to me) a bit strange, compared to today's design sensibilities...
    They're very "curvy"... kinda' like the popular Italian actress' of the day... lol!

It's good to hear from you, Eric.

In reality, aerodynamic science ( as applied to auto design ) was at an absolute infancy stage back when these cars were racing. As surmised, the increased application of this science over the years has dictated quite a few changes to design parameters. A lot of the looks to current race cars are spawned from a requirement to incorporate decent safety features....something the racing interests, of the days these Ferrari's ran, treated almost as the plague.

Curvy gals and curvy cars....now there's a take-down combo.

See you,

Tom
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2016
    These are fantastic Tom it's interesting that some of them are right hand drive. Nice shots, they make you dream.
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2016
    Tom, nice set!
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    edited March 15, 2016
    Juano wrote: »
    These are fantastic Tom it's interesting that some of them are right hand drive. Nice shots, they make you dream.

Thanks for the look-see Cristóbal. Since most of these cars of that era are of European manufacture, it's pretty standard for them to be right-hand drive. A few, like the Ferrari Dino, actually encroach on being center-drive. I'm guilty of dreaming about stuff like this for most of my life.

See you, buddy,

Tom
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2016
    Tom, nice set!

Thanks. I appreciate the visit.

Tom
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2016
    Love the red :D Great looking cars.
  • Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2016
    A great set of beautiful, historic cars. Great examples of vintage automotive art.

A few years back I worked on a 1mil $ garage built specifically for a 12 mil $ Ferrari. I never got to see the car, but it was supposedly 1 of 3 raced at Le Mans in 1953.

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2016
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Love the red :D Great looking cars.

Boy, it's sure great to hear from you. I hope you and John are doing well. I'm thinking y'all must have had a bit milder Winter than usual....here in Florida we had barely a hint of Winter.

How did I know the red cars would light your fire?

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2016
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    A great set of beautiful, historic cars. Great examples of vintage automotive art.

A few years back I worked on a 1mil $ garage built specifically for a 12 mil $ Ferrari. I never got to see the car, but it was supposedly 1 of 3 raced at Le Mans in 1953.

Phil

Thanks for looking in, Phil. I appreciate the visit.

There's a garage here in Jacksonville ( actually, it's much more of a private museum than a simple garage ) that belongs to the Brumos Porsche racing organization. Both the late Peter Gregg and Hurley Haywood were the principal drivers who made Brumos a famous racing name. Haywood has largely retired from active driving but remains very involved with Brumos. A good friend of mine was instrumental in putting this museum/garage together. He was in my office one day and saw some of the shots hanging on the wall that I had taken of Brumos cars at one of the Daytona 24 hour races. As a result, some of these same shots, blown up really big, now hang in this museum.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2016
    Thanks for looking in, Willard. Did you ever happen to see your coach run the Jag in a race.

Take care,

Tom

We live near Lime Rock Park, Tom, and I watched John race many times in the D Jag.

Another person in this group had the first Corvette in 1953: a 6-cyl with a slush pump. We were training in fall running along the road when the D-Jag and Corvette raced on a very long straight on Rte 7.....the Jag ate the Corvette up.
    It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2016
    Which of these will we be driving on our Appalachian tour?
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com