Options

organizer problems

synaturesynature Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
edited October 12, 2016 in SmugMug Support
When I want to order images in a gallery, most of the time sorting by date or manually is fine.

Sorting manually would be fine if I could see either the filename, title or caption under the thumbnails. All three would be best.

It would also be a lot easier if I could change the size of the thumbnails in the organizer. Not a whole lot bigger, but about 50% bigger would be a tremendous help sometimes.

Alternatively, if the titles an captions were displayed under each image in the Title, Caption and Keyword editor, I could use that page for doing my internal gallery organizing.

Why can't I sort a gallery by title?
Brandon Smith
http://redwoodtwig.com
Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.

Comments

• Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2016
    I notice you use lightroom. If you use Smugmug's plugin, you can also sort the gallery manually in the plugin's published collection, where you can make all those visible, and it will sync up with Smugmug's sort.

I try to move as much as humanly possible away from doing on the web interface and into the plugin, to provide one point of control, and a more easily controlled point actually. Sorting galleries in folders is about all I still use Organizer for in that regard.
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2016
    Ferguson wrote: »
    I notice you use lightroom. If you use Smugmug's plugin, you can also sort the gallery manually in the plugin's published collection, where you can make all those visible, and it will sync up with Smugmug's sort.

I try to move as much as humanly possible away from doing on the web interface and into the plugin, to provide one point of control, and a more easily controlled point actually. Sorting galleries in folders is about all I still use Organizer for in that regard.

For most of my photos, that's how I work. Polish the gallery in LR and publish. Updates to titles or captions done in LR. Unfortunately, LR does not let me sort by title, nor does LR spell check my captions.

In this case, though, the gallery on smugmug is a smart one, using a keyword to select the items I want in there because the images are already uploaded in other galleries.
    Brandon Smith
    Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.
  • Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2016
    synature wrote: »
    For most of my photos, that's how I work. Polish the gallery in LR and publish. Updates to titles or captions done in LR. Unfortunately, LR does not let me sort by title, nor does LR spell check my captions.

Yeah, both an issue. I frankly don't understand the limited choices in that and in metadata searches, seems much simpler to just allow "everything but things that will not work" and drive it from the metadata table definitions. But Adobe didn't ask me.
    In this case, though, the gallery on smugmug is a smart one, using a keyword to select the items I want in there because the images are already uploaded in other galleries.

And yeah, those are just done for. I actually wish there were a way to define those in Lightroom, somehow, but its "smart" galleries are a bit more dumb and send up extra copies.
  • Options
    HaraldEHaraldE Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2016
    Sorting manually would be fine if I could see either the filename, title or caption under the thumbnails. All three would be best.
    Morning,

There is a small icon at top right in the Organizer which turns on/off the filename beneath the thumbs. Maybe that can help you a bit.

Regards, Harald
    ==================
    My focus is on digitizing memories
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2016
    HaraldE wrote: »
    Morning,

There is a small icon at top right in the Organizer which turns on/off the filename beneath the thumbs. Maybe that can help you a bit.

Regards, Harald

Switching to Firefox solved that issue as well as some other issues that Chrome has with Smugmug when logged in, such as uploading videos.
    Brandon Smith