Options

School asked me to do ALL team & posed sport pics

CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
edited January 10, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
Oh wow am I honered, overwhelmed & nervous :puke1 and in 'real' need of some advice here. Any will be greatly appriciated.

Here's the deal...
For as long as I can recall lifetouch has been doing ALL the school posed pictures (both yearbook & sport team & individual pics). For years now they just keep getting worse. This years yearbook, football & cheerleader shoots were horrific. Not only the pictures but they messed up ALL the orders. They put football boys pics on sport mats with team pictures of cheerleaders - lol - course some of the boys didn't mind but the parents and school were furious.

The athletic directic approached me at Saterdays tournament while I was taking action pics and said he wanted to talk to me. He said he's talked to the principle and parents and they want me to do all the posed basketball team & individual pics + all the remaining sports pics this year... WOW... ohhhh. He asked if I had whatever I needed to get the job done and I said well... I really need an assistant. He asked me to please consider it over this week and get back to him. BTW: If I do it, I have to start shooting Jr High in less than 2 weeks. Not much time to come up with flyers & prepare package deals to send home with kids for pre-orders :uhoh
The Athletic director named loads of reasons why they want me to do it (everyones asking and they love having them on-line at smugmug allthough still need pre-orders or proofs becuase most of our community is old school and not on-line... guessing about 65-70% are without internet).
Another thing some are asking that I include in packages are digital files. I could set up seperate private galleries for pre-paid downloads I guess but have NO idea how much to charge for this (any ideas). BTW: I will not sell the download unless they also purchase a print because I want them to see it printed good compared to most people crappy home printers (okay some are good but most average home printers are not).
Another thing they'd like to see worked in is the action pictures I've taken (gee I have so many games to get uploaded it ain't even funny - lol)
For the Sports mates I can make a template. I'm thinking I'd also add the mousepads (with or without template) and maybe the coffee cups & buttons.

I'm terrified about whether or not I'm ready to tackle this. Everyone else says go for it but few know what it takes and all the work that actually goes into something like this. I know I want to do it sometime but wonder if maybe I should tell them I'm not quite ready this year but please consider me next year. My husband says If I don't do it now I'll loose out because they're getting someone else regardless... but if I screw it up then I may never have another chance when I know I'm ready. Thoughts???

My site is: www.id.smugmug.com
You can see some of my work and the quality of it there.

Sorry for such a long post but I knew if anyone would have some words of wisdom you'll would come through for me. Thanks so much.

Cindy
Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!

Comments

• Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2006
    You can do it! And from the looks of your site, you are ready! You have 2 weeks to plan. Get organized. Have a plan and execute. I like your no digital file without a print idea, so maybe you include the digital file with the LUSTRE order free (and mark up the print to reflect this), this would be an easy way to sell the digital file. Something like this, you get the idea.

Good luck to you and keep us posted!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    CheerdadCheerdad Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2006
    I Know EXACTLY How You Feel!
    What started out as an effort to take pictures of my three daughters at their cheer competitions has evolved into a small side business. Since I don't yet have the DSLR and lens I really want, I was humbled people thought enough of what I could get with my prosumer to pay. With the gym director's cooperation, I now have full access to the warmup areas and the competition floor for each of our squads...technically I am just another coach. I figured, since I am already there, why not? Right?

I think I have the action photo technique down, but I am "equipment handicapped." Alot of pictures end up too noisy or underexposed, but with some Neat Image and Photoshop help a number end up good enough for 5x7 and even 8x10's. I also do custom graphics as well. My cheer galleries are at cheerdad.smugmug.com.

So how is my situation the same? Well, during a quick conversation with some of the other parents at our last competition, the subject of portraits came up. Our gym has never sponsored any "formal" portraits in the past and alot of people assumed that I was going to take some this year since I am the "un-official Express photographer."

I spoke to the director about it and he loved the idea. He told me he has never had anyone in for portraits because he has never found anyone who he trusted, that cared about the job they did and was fair with the pricing. I, too, was told to "go for it" so I am. Problem is I don't know how to handle bundled packaged through Smugmug...can it even be done. You know: 1 8x10, 2 5x7's and 4 4x6's for $35.00 kind of stuff.

Overwhelmed is an understatement! There are about 200 kids at the cheer gym, another 150 or so at the gymnastics center next door (both owned by the same person). We (the director and I) are positioning this as a fundraiser to generate interest, but in the end he thinks everyone (90%+) will take advantage of the service. He doesn't care how much money he makes, he is just glad that he can provide the service and get some parents off his back.

My wife is telling me the same thing your husband is telling you. I have the full support of the director and my wife can handle any paperwork or other issues that may arise. I like the idea of having everyone order their images through my smugmug account since that eliminates alot of tax and shipping & handling concerns.

Any suggestions or idea would be welcomed!
    Cheerdad
    "People who think cheerleading is not a 'real' sport have obviously never tried to do it" :D
  • Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2006
    Thanks JimD & Cheerdad,

If I do this: (I think I can, I think I can) I am planning to incorperate the digital file with prints somehow. I figure if I don't someones gonna scan them and do whatever with a single print anyhow so might as well embrace the day & time.

I'm working on coming up with a pre-order form to send home with parents (simalar to what lifetouch and other school photographers do) since that's what they want but more importantly to ensure I've got $$$ in the pocket for all the work. If they don't pre-order who's to say they'll order later... most won't, some will... go figure.

I of course have to collect tax on pre-orders but I'll figure that & simalar costs into the base print prices so it's not confusing for parents to figure while ordering. I'll also make sure that pre-order package prices are slightly less than ordering later on-line to encourage them to do so. Once all the orders are collected, photos are shot, etc I'll then upload to smugmug and bulk order the pre-ordered prints. Package them in something slightly better than flimsy envelopes that kids always bend (any ideas?) and deliever to the school for the office to hand out. Parents will still be able to re-order or order later if they like on-line or by calling me (most call me as our community is so rural they don't trust internet shopping even if they do have the ability.)

I'm thinking of taking some cool locker room pics to use to make the sports mat template... and the school just bought a really cool tiger sign they're very proud of that I'll probably take a pic of to use in their somewhere.

Okay back to figuring... My head was so tired from overcomplicating this that earlier I had to take a break... ready for figures again. Laughing.gif!

Cindy
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!