Options

House of Sauron

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
edited March 22, 2016 in Landscapes
Something about this sea-stack gets imagination going! Perhaps I didn't create dark enough mood, but when I started out there was heavy fog that lifted around sunset.

All help in determining which ones suck and which ones don't is appreciated!

1)
1W7A4432-X3.jpg

2)
1W7A4457-X3.jpg

3)
1W7A4566-X3.jpg

4)
1W7A4581-X3.jpg

5)
1W7A6259-X3.jpg

6)
1W7A4540-X3.jpg

7)
1W7A4615-X3.jpg

8)
1W7A4633-X3.jpg

9)
1W7A4636-X3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,039 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2016
    #3 is the winner for me. The dark wave in this one helps one to focus on the beautiful rock. When there is a lot of white foam or waves, my attention gets pulled away from the rock. Of course, my attention is easily veered - bright and shiny objects and/or squirrels...........ne_nau.gif

And I prefer the close up of the rock rather than the others. (And then as usual, they are all lovely!)
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2016
    Cavalier wrote: »
    #3 is the winner for me. The dark wave in this one helps one to focus on the beautiful rock. When there is a lot of white foam or waves, my attention gets pulled away from the rock. Of course, my attention is easily veered - bright and shiny objects and/or squirrels...........ne_nau.gif

And I prefer the close up of the rock rather than the others. (And then as usual, they are all lovely!)

Thanks kindly Jo! bowdown.gif
    It is getting harder and harder to get feedback. This helps me quiet a bit.
    I used wide angle lens (mistakenly) but it forced me to do different things...but I did get close on #3 and such with zoom.....I am surely going to bump up #3 in my favorite list!

It was really great scene and amazing waves......you or others would have done far better!
    Cheers!
  • Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,834 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2016
    Hi Taz,

Since I have a few minutes I'll comment in a little detail. As usual great work, so one has to be really picky to find flaws. Here's my humble opinion...

1) the slightly burned out highlight behind the rock kills it for me
    2) ok, but I think it's the log in the foreground that's making it not-so-great for me
    3) like Jo, this is my favorite of the bunch. I love the composition, the hovering cloud bank in the background and the motion of the waves in the foreground. And much to my taste, it doesn't look over-processed.
    4) the composition just doesn't work as well for me as #3
    5) I find this one on the one side very evocative but on the other side somewhat dull. Maybe something different in pp?
    6) love the colors but i'm not sure if I'm supposed to look at the rocks in the foreground or the stacks in the background
    7) this is my 2nd favorite. the colors are splendid and I love the movement in the water, but for me the composition/crop is slightly out of balance
    8) composition doesn't quite work for me
    9) this is my third favorite - I like the colors and composition

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers, Sara
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2016
    Taz...enjoyed them all wings.gif but favs!! are #3,4,6 and 9 for me! My BEST in the bunch from those would be #3 and #6 !!!! Well done!
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    edited March 21, 2016
    Hi Taz,

Since I have a few minutes I'll comment in a little detail. As usual great work, so one has to be really picky to find flaws. Here's my humble opinion...

1) the slightly burned out highlight behind the rock kills it for me
    2) ok, but I think it's the log in the foreground that's making it not-so-great for me
    3) like Jo, this is my favorite of the bunch. I love the composition, the hovering cloud bank in the background and the motion of the waves in the foreground. And much to my taste, it doesn't look over-processed.
    4) the composition just doesn't work as well for me as #3
    5) I find this one on the one side very evocative but on the other side somewhat dull. Maybe something different in pp?
    6) love the colors but i'm not sure if I'm supposed to look at the rocks in the foreground or the stacks in the background
    7) this is my 2nd favorite. the colors are splendid and I love the movement in the water, but for me the composition/crop is slightly out of balance
    8) composition doesn't quite work for me
    9) this is my third favorite - I like the colors and composition

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers, Sara

Sara, can't thank you enough!
    It gives me lot to think about and generally see what my mistakes were. Some of the comps were forced either due to wide angle or due to the fact that light was away from sea stacks.

I can try to remove the log from #2.

For #5, I tried all I could to let evocative side take over....;o)

For #6 there is surely some attention splitting, my hope was that rocks will lead to the sea-stack...I am not convinced of that one myself....I thought the light in it was nice and warm and that kept it from being deleted.

For #8 I think I tried to include too many things.....the stacks, the light area, and more importantly the rushing water......I got fully drenched up to my waist just to get the shot of water rushing towards me....and lifted my gear when I go run over.....oh well....need to try again!

Thanks for pointing out favorites Sara! Really helps me!
    Cheers!
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2016
    Taz...enjoyed them all wings.gif but favs!! are #3,4,6 and 9 for me! My BEST in the bunch from those would be #3 and #6 !!!! Well done!

Many thanks Wayne! Always appreciate your input and support!bowdown.gif
    I know now (based on Your, Jo and Sara's input) that #3, #7 and #9 are keepers!wings.gif
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2016
    Amazing! 3,7,9 for sure but i really do like #5; it looks other-worldly. You could have lots of fun with this in various tints! And I would have it on the wall! :D But they are all wonderful.
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2016
    Eia wrote: »
    Amazing! 3,7,9 for sure but i really do like #5; it looks other-worldly. You could have lots of fun with this in various tints! And I would have it on the wall! :D But they are all wonderful.

Thanks Anna Maria! I have bit more confidence in #5 now!

I am so far behind in understanding processing.....like adding tints and stuff...one of these days will lose the fear of PS......I have to try and get a class...but hard to find something reasonable and offerred at night....

Cheers!
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2016
    Me, I like number 5 the best, but that doesn't mean I don't like the the rest. Good shots. Personally, I'm glad you're not adding tints and stuff.
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2016
    PS: As for classes, I just signed up for another at the local botanical garden. The community college has some that appear promising. I hope you follow through.
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2016
    Thanks Don! I appreciate your input tremendously!thumb.gifbow
    I am serious about finding some classes....or lessons....Cheers!!
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2016
    Oh Taz, I wouldn't worry too much about PS classes - you do an excellent job of processing! But if you can't find a class that interests you there are tons of great instructional videos. That's what I usually do when I want to try something new - watch a youtube video on the subject and then try it for myself a few times.

But I am curious about why you use PS as opposed to Lightroom for "developing"? For example, adding tints in LR (if that's what you want to do) is a snap - just play with the Split Toning panel a bit. I tend to only use PS when I'm doing something at which LR is not so good or not capable of like a graphics with layers or lots of cloning (I can't seem to get the grasp of the LR clone tool). Maybe I'm just lazy... I'm always curious about others' workflow.

Cheers, Sara
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2016
    Oh Taz, I wouldn't worry too much about PS classes - you do an excellent job of processing! But if you can't find a class that interests you there are tons of great instructional videos. That's what I usually do when I want to try something new - watch a youtube video on the subject and then try it for myself a few times.

But I am curious about why you use PS as opposed to Lightroom for "developing"? For example, adding tints in LR (if that's what you want to do) is a snap - just play with the Split Toning panel a bit. I tend to only use PS when I'm doing something at which LR is not so good or not capable of like a graphics with layers or lots of cloning (I can't seem to get the grasp of the LR clone tool). Maybe I'm just lazy... I'm always curious about others' workflow.

Cheers, Sara

Thanks Sara! I have tried videos and sometimes with success. However, every time they update the software, the video doesn't always match what the buttons are doing on latest and greatest software. If I could get organized instruction once, then I feel it would demystify some of it.

I worked with my current cloning skills to remove the log....
    It is definitely an improvement in my view because now the attention splitting is gone.....usually foreground elements do well for me but here it was in the way! Thanks kindly!

1W7A4457-Edit-X3.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2016
    Ooooh, that works nicely now!
  • Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2016
    Great set of images. #3 is my favorite thumb.gifthumb, but #5 is a close second.

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    Jester243Jester243 Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited March 22, 2016
    #3 is the standout for me, but I love #4 as well, great photos.
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2016
    And here I thought you could teach me a thing or two. Just be passionate about your own style..... You definitly have it and show it! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2016
    Ooooh, that works nicely now!

Thanks Sara!
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2016
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    Great set of images. #3 is my favorite thumb.gifthumb, but #5 is a close second.

Phil

Thanks kindly Phil!! Truly appreciate your input!
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2016
    Jester243 wrote: »
    #3 is the standout for me, but I love #4 as well, great photos.

Thanks kindly Jester!
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2016
    Eia wrote: »
    And here I thought you could teach me a thing or two. Just be passionate about your own style..... You definitly have it and show it! iloveyou.gif

Oh Anna Maria, my day is totally made! Kind regards!wings.gif
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,322 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2016
    Another stellar grouping, Taz. 3 and 4 are my favorites ....followed closely by 7 and 9.

A close scrutiny of the shot where you " removed " the log revealed evidence to me that something " fishy " occurred at this spot. I'm no stranger to cloning out stuff but I've discovered it's best to keep such maneuvers to a fairly small area. I'm certainly no poster-child for excellent PP work....in fact, I'm probably the least capable of anyone on the forum at such matriculations. Realizing that, I try and put my best effort forth into the right-out-of-the-camera productions. Skilled PP work can be a savior. I wish I was better at it.

On a side note, I happen to collect rocks from various places. If you see any smaller rocks along the beaches...say 1 to 2 lbs. max....I'd sure love to have you send me one. I'll happily cover any and all shipping cost and be more than happy to include a " bonus " for you for going to the trouble.

Keep up the great work, my friend.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2016
    Another stellar grouping, Taz. 3 and 4 are my favorites ....followed closely by 7 and 9.

A close scrutiny of the shot where you " removed " the log revealed evidence to me that something " fishy " occurred at this spot. I'm no stranger to cloning out stuff but I've discovered it's best to keep such maneuvers to a fairly small area. I'm certainly no poster-child for excellent PP work....in fact, I'm probably the least capable of anyone on the forum at such matriculations. Realizing that, I try and put my best effort forth into the right-out-of-the-camera productions. Skilled PP work can be a savior. I wish I was better at it.

On a side note, I happen to collect rocks from various places. If you see any smaller rocks along the beaches...say 1 to 2 lbs. max....I'd sure love to have you send me one. I'll happily cover any and all shipping cost and be more than happy to include a " bonus " for you for going to the trouble.

Keep up the great work, my friend.

Tom

Thanks Tom!wings.gif
    Yes, the cloning out of the log is not clean. Its a proof-of-concept experiment. I tried but it wont' clean up any further.

As for the rock, now I have a new goal.....will keep my eyes open.....if the last thing I ever do...will find the best rock for you! I will send you PM. I need the info! f you ever make it out here....will be here for you! Cheers!