Options

Haleakala Milky Way

JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
edited April 10, 2016 in Landscapes
Went up to 10,000 ft for this one. A little grainy for my taste, but I still think not bad for a 7D mk I and a 2.8 wide angle (11mm)

C&C always appreciated

IMG_8873-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2016
    Beautiful.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,213 moderator
    edited April 7, 2016
    Ohhh, very nice! Could use a little more color saturation though.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2016
    Fantastic!! Some more interesting elements in the bottom....you will be all set!
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2016
    Thanks for all the input peeps! I bumped up the color saturation, but couldn't find anything more interesting for the bottom section. lol Also removed LR lens profile correction, removed a little chroma, and removed natural vignetting to open the scene without the profile correction stretch.

IMG_8873-L.jpg
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2016
    I liked original tad more for some reason......
    The road below....had you framed it to keep the curvature on right....it would tell a nice story and lovely earth element under the stars.
  • Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2016
    Nice capture. I'm going to have to remember to try some night shots when I'm out in the Rockies in June.

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    I liked original tad more for some reason......
    The road below....had you framed it to keep the curvature on right....it would tell a nice story and lovely earth element under the stars.

I think I like somewhere between the first shot and the second shot, in terms of color saturation. As for the road, I completely agree. To be 100% honest, I couldn't even see that road below while taking the shot. rolleyes1.gif (It's the road to the telescope, and wasn't being used at 4:30am)
  • Options
    Celtic SnapperCeltic Snapper Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2016
    Fantastic! You've inspired me to try this, this summer. :-)
  • Options
    jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2016
    Excellent image - I will also have to try some star images in during the summer from northern Michigan - jerryr
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2016
    This is awesome. Lots of good advice to give this scene fabulous if you want... I would so love to see the lower half with a bit more detail so as to tell the story. Or - for the lower half give it a moody effect if you can't get some elements/detail in....but the top it great! I'm not an expert so my advice is just to tell me what you want us to see...?
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2016
    I like the original. Is that a comet in the left, middle portion of the frame with a green tail? Almost looks like one... Beautiful shot, though!
    Chris
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2016
    Fantastic! You've inspired me to try this, this summer. :-)

jerryr wrote: »
    Excellent image - I will also have to try some star images in during the summer from northern Michigan - jerryr

Thank you both :) There's really not much more I could ask for than to have inspired someone to be adventurous. Have fun with it and share your captures!
    Eia wrote: »
    This is awesome. Lots of good advice to give this scene fabulous if you want... I would so love to see the lower half with a bit more detail so as to tell the story. Or - for the lower half give it a moody effect if you can't get some elements/detail in....but the top it great! I'm not an expert so my advice is just to tell me what you want us to see...?

I value your input, and have decided to go with the latter of the two options. I played with the image in LR and have gotten it to a place I very much enjoy...dark, moody, and a very punched milky way, with color. I'll post up the final version later.
    ChrisJ wrote: »
    I like the original. Is that a comet in the left, middle portion of the frame with a green tail? Almost looks like one... Beautiful shot, though!

Thanks Chris! Unfortunately, the green flare is not a comet, as much as I wanted it to be when I first saw the image. It's actually a flare caused by the moon, just out of the frame to the left.