Options

Ocean's Secrets

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
edited April 13, 2016 in Landscapes
Found some new spots, revisited others and also reworked couple of previous images.

All criticism is heartily cherished!!

1) Rule of Odds
1W7A6737-Edit-X3.jpg

2) Primordial Soup
1W7A1081-X3.jpg

3) Dirty Martini
1W7A4701-X3.jpg

4) Fires of Mordor
1W7A4713-X3.jpg

5) Entrance to water world
1W7A3217-Edit-Edit-X3.jpg

6) Emergence
1W7A6669_bw-X3.jpg

7) Sip of fresh water
1W7A4772-X3.jpg

8) Nirvana
1W7A4815-X3.jpg

9) Eternal Chasm
1W7A4858-X3.jpg

10) Last hurrah of the Sun
1W7A3439-Edit-X3.jpg

11) Rapture
1W7A4820-X3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Celtic SnapperCeltic Snapper Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2016
    Great collection. #7 is outstanding!
    Also like the composition of #3, and the mist effect of # 4.
    Would love to see the mist effect of #4 included in #3, if that's possible? Do the waves run up the grove at all? High swell and super long exposure - Bingo!
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2016
    Great collection. #7 is outstanding!
    Also like the composition of #3, and the mist effect of # 4.
    Would love to see the mist effect of #4 included in #3, if that's possible? Do the waves run up the grove at all? High swell and super long exposure - Bingo!

Thanks Carl! Much appreciate it!

The water does run up and the chasm and when I got there, the shot below is what i had in mind. I had two issues, if there was too much water it was looking blobby so I had to shoot many times. Once when the water level felt right, the light had dulled some, so I felt it lacked punch somewhat. The crashing waves onn the sea stack also left it bit muddy. However, have many plans for this spot......Cheers!

1W7A4704-X3.jpg
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,275 moderator
    edited April 8, 2016
    You have some wonderful shots here! My favorites are 5 and 9.

--- Denise
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2016
    As much as I love B&W, I'm digging the color shots here Taz... with the exception of #2 - that one is awesome!! bowdown.gifclap.gif
    It needs to be mounted huge and frame-less in a Fortune 500 boardroom - for the soothing, calming, Feng Shui... :feelgood thumb.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2016
    You have some wonderful shots here! My favorites are 5 and 9.

--- Denise

Can't thank you enough! Cheers Denise!wings.gif
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2016
    Earache wrote: »
    As much as I love B&W, I'm digging the color shots here Taz... with the exception of #2 - that one is awesome!! bowdown.gifclap.gif
    It needs to be mounted huge and frame-less in a Fortune 500 boardroom - for the soothing, calming, Feng Shui... :feelgood thumb.gif

Eric, thanks for making my day! I reworked #2 as b&w....sort of seeing now what I didn't see before! Cheers!!bowdown.gif
  • Options
    JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2016
    Outstanding set as usual, Taz! My favorite is 'Sip of Fresh Water'. Stunning image, nice and warm, refreshing feeling.
  • Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2016
    Great work, as we have come to expect. I really enjoy 7,10 and 11. nice job on the B&W conversion work also. thumb.gifthumb

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2016
    Gads... you always post so many at the same time and they are always overwhelming (in a grand way).

I can't critique these kinds of photos because they are above my _____ fill in the blank.

But let's say I am a buyer:

#5 I love it. Just make sure the trees are sharp as they can be (along with the rock)
    #6 I saw this scene before. It looks like submarines. I wish the upper submarine was not clipped at her tail. Just a bit more room for both. Love, love the soldiers on the upper deck! :D

#8 is definitely nervana. Seriously... if someone wanted a near capture that would be it.

#9... a bit much mist for me but I love the vision!

# 10 has a bit of orten look but I personally think it works and gives a wonderful over all feel. Colors and all is great.

#11 the title says it... I will be raptured! the living waters feed the greenery. Life! Is this a color conversion? Even if.... a story was told...
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2016
    Outstanding set as usual, Taz! My favorite is 'Sip of Fresh Water'. Stunning image, nice and warm, refreshing feeling.

Thanks JBR! Truly appreciate the kind comment!
    Maui is full of these kind of places....I am sure you will bring us more wonderful scenes!!
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2016
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    Great work, as we have come to expect. I really enjoy 7,10 and 11. nice job on the B&W conversion work also. thumb.gifthumb

Phil

Phil, I appreciate and value your input very much! Thanks! With all the fog on coast, I am starting to see things in b&w! Cheers!
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2016
    Eia wrote: »
    Gads... you always post so many at the same time and they are always overwhelming (in a grand way).

I can't critique these kinds of photos because they are above my _____ fill in the blank.

But let's say I am a buyer:

#5 I love it. Just make sure the trees are sharp as they can be (along with the rock)
    #6 I saw this scene before. It looks like submarines. I wish the upper submarine was not clipped at her tail. Just a bit more room for both. Love, love the soldiers on the upper deck! :D

#8 is definitely nervana. Seriously... if someone wanted a near capture that would be it.

#9... a bit much mist for me but I love the vision!

# 10 has a bit of orten look but I personally think it works and gives a wonderful over all feel. Colors and all is great.

#11 the title says it... I will be raptured! the living waters feed the greenery. Life! Is this a color conversion? Even if.... a story was told...

Thanks Anna Maria! From the moment i joined, have learned from everyone and you are certainly one of my biggest inspirations!bowdown.gif Many of your images are permanently burned in my mind!
    Thanks for detailed input, I appreciate it more than I can express.

#5 - I have never printed, but that is great advice to have. I have heard you have to extra sharpen things. As for trees, I thing it might be deceptive as those are Cormorants that basically sit on top of it all the time. It was 20 min exposure and I surprised they managed to stay still for that long.

#6 Yeah I wish it was not clipped but it is connected to another rock.....;o)

#9 Yeah the smoothing of water motion is bit tricky and I think have to get lucky sometimes.....I have to try again...maybe 20 seconds next time..

I would have to look up what Orten is!

Thanks again! Nature is wonderful! It costs us nothing to enjoy it! Cheers!!
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2016
    At the end of the day everyone of these are worthy for EVERYTHING
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,322 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2016
    B&W landscapes have, in general, never been my thing. However, some of the stuff you've done lately in B&W is absolutely outstanding. clap.gif That second shot is world-class by any standard.

Keep it up, Taz, I'm enjoying the ride.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2016
    Ridiculous....., just Ridiculous! How am I supposed to keep up with this crap?!? Oh, I know... the new camera I just ordered will help...., now if I could only win the lotto and quick the day job... pesky things those....

As usual, top notch work here Taz. I think it's a toss up between 5 & 7 here for me... really love them all as usual, but those are my faves of this batch.

How long of an exposure for 1, 2 5 & 6 (in general) were you using... also... were you using a big stopper to cut the light or were these during the less sunny portion of the day?

Cheers
    Lee Wiren
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2016
    Eia wrote: »
    At the end of the day everyone of these are worthy for EVERYTHING

Thanks Anna Maria!
    B&W landscapes have, in general, never been my thing. However, some of the stuff you've done lately in B&W is absolutely outstanding. clap.gif That second shot is world-class by any standard.

Keep it up, Taz, I'm enjoying the ride.

Tom

Thanks Tom! Your support means everything!bowdown.gif The light and dark play is addictive. For us in Northern Cali, the fog is big part of the equation....what I have found is that light still penetrates through. While it is not good for classic colors, but it does give opportunity to do even exposures and take advantage of dark rock and splashing white water! Cheers!!
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2016
    Wiren wrote: »
    Ridiculous....., just Ridiculous! How am I supposed to keep up with this crap?!? Oh, I know... the new camera I just ordered will help...., now if I could only win the lotto and quick the day job... pesky things those....

As usual, top notch work here Taz. I think it's a toss up between 5 & 7 here for me... really love them all as usual, but those are my faves of this batch.

How long of an exposure for 1, 2 5 & 6 (in general) were you using... also... were you using a big stopper to cut the light or were these during the less sunny portion of the day?

Cheers

Thanks Lee! Can't say that enough to you!bowdown.gif
    Your work is amazing as is so I am sure with gear upgrade you would enjoy creating more of it!!

I did use big-stopper (10 f-stop) on #1 and #5. First one is about 4 minutes but #5 is so far the longest successful exposure I have had, about 20 minutes. It was pre-dawn fog, couldn't see anything exciting but it created nice bg, and low tidie created smooth background....just taking advantage of what was available. Lately, I have been relying on 30 second shots as light goes down.....or little stopper (6 f-stops).

No matter what, good light is the key.....in my view, no skill can substitute it....so just have to learn as much as possible about radar.....webcams if available.....and luck!!

Cheers m8!
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 10, 2016
    For your vision, and your dedication in following that vision, I anoint thee, Master of the Sea!!! bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

But please be careful out there. Folks looking at these pictures wouldn't know how downright treacherous some of these locations are to body and equipment.
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2016
    kdog wrote: »
    For your vision, and your dedication in following that vision, I anoint thee, Master of the Sea!!! bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

But please be careful out there. Folks looking at these pictures wouldn't know how downright treacherous some of these locations are to body and equipment.

Morning K-dog! It is great to see you here!
    YOU KNOW I learned most of this from your guidance.....and hope to keep picking your brains!bowdown.gifwings.gifbow
    Thanks forever!

The locations are indeed not friendly.
    Even the waterfall location.....which I hope to go with you......had to overcome panic attack....as it is uneven slipper rock with incline, at edge of the cliff......if you don't stand at the edge, you can't see the waterfall........lets do it!thumb.gif
  • Options
    WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Morning K-dog! It is great to see you here!
    YOU KNOW I learned most of this from your guidance.....and hope to keep picking your brains!bowdown.gifwings.gifbow
    Thanks forever!

The locations are indeed not friendly.
    Even the waterfall location.....which I hope to go with you......had to overcome panic attack....as it is uneven slipper rock with incline, at edge of the cliff......if you don't stand at the edge, you can't see the waterfall........lets do it!thumb.gif

That sounds like a trip i'd like to join in on!!! I often hike some fairly treacherous trails in the Gorge up here with all the moisture making life slimy and slippery and some with loose dirt making slipping and falling a thing of ease.... eek7.gif

I'd really like to see that waterfall locale... that looks like a great photo op.

If you guys plan to take a trip out there, let me know when and I can see about finding a cause for a "business trip".... it would be neat to have a group of Grinner's out on a co-op landscape shoot.

Lee
    Lee Wiren
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2016
    Sounds good Lee! But that would be one heck of drive for you...or flight...when you are in this area let me know...this is 3.5 hr one way drive even for us! Cheers!
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2016
    These shots are both beautiful and fun. I like several for different reasons, but my favorites are 2 and 10, with the nod going to 10--it is simply stunning! One of my favorite parts of the whole set is your title choices. Who'd have thought to name a black & white photograph of the coast "Dirty Martini?" clap.gif

Outstanding work!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2016
    redleash wrote: »
    These shots are both beautiful and fun. I like several for different reasons, but my favorites are 2 and 10, with the nod going to 10--it is simply stunning! One of my favorite parts of the whole set is your title choices. Who'd have thought to name a black & white photograph of the coast "Dirty Martini?" clap.gif

Outstanding work!

Lauren

Thanks Lauren! If only you knew what this means to me!
    Cheers!bowdown.gifbarb
  • Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,834 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2016
    Taz, I've come back to look at these several times so I felt it was time to comment. Great set - my faves are 5, 7 & 9 although I wonder if #5 would benefit from a slight crop off the right side of the frame (m43 crop instead of 2/3). Since that rock formation is so close to the left side of the frame for my taste there is just a tad too much empty space on the right. But you know just my opinion...

Thanks for sharing with us - since I'm landlocked here in Bavaria I really appreciate the chance to see my beloved Pacific Ocean!

Sara
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2016
    Taz - My comments come from the heart. This series is so moving and the variations in your subjects and compositions remind me that life is full of possibilities.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2016
    Taz, I've come back to look at these several times so I felt it was time to comment. Great set - my faves are 5, 7 & 9 although I wonder if #5 would benefit from a slight crop off the right side of the frame (m43 crop instead of 2/3). Since that rock formation is so close to the left side of the frame for my taste there is just a tad too much empty space on the right. But you know just my opinion...

Thanks for sharing with us - since I'm landlocked here in Bavaria I really appreciate the chance to see my beloved Pacific Ocean!

Sara

Thanks kindly Sara! Value your input greatly!bowdown.gif I have to experiment with #5 with some reduced space. So far I have been going in opposite direction at this spot. I would love to see more of Bavaria! Even though I live in wonderful place, I constantly dream of seeing other places!
    redleash wrote: »
    Taz - My comments come from the heart. This series is so moving and the variations in your subjects and compositions remind me that life is full of possibilities.

Lauren

Thanks again Lauren! Can't say that enough!