Options

Can anyone help me get IE back up & running ?

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited January 26, 2006 in Dgrin Forum Support
I decided to try firefox again & as with last time...D/loaded it & i still dont like it. I went to 'add/remove' & deleted it but now every time i try to open a screen icon i get the question 'what prog do you wish to open with...' & in a lot of cases i get nothing.

Once i get one page open i can type my address in the header bar & surf just fine but thats a mongrel way to do things.

So how you i re-activate IE ?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    I decided to try firefox again & as with last time...D/loaded it & i still dont like it. I went to 'add/remove' & deleted it but now every time i try to open a screen icon i get the question 'what prog do you wish to open with...' & in a lot of cases i get nothing.

Once i get one page open i can type my address in the header bar & surf just fine but thats a mongrel way to do things.

Yes. Buy a Mac lol3.gif

OK KIDDING I'll help give me a moment to fire up windows...
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Yes. Buy a Mac lol3.gif

OK KIDDING I'll help give me a moment to fire up windows...
    tks mate..off to work now so i'll check it out when im back home.
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2006
    Humungus wrote:

when you click on the big blue E, it doesn't ask you if it wants to be default browser?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2006
    Gus, it's like if you drank whole milk your whole life and switched to 2% milk. You'd hate it at first, but then after a month of drinking 2%, if you went back to whole you'd hate that....stick with FF it's better, and after a month you'll never want to go back to IE.

Just my opinion...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2006
    To reset Internet Explorer settings

If you installed another Web browser after installing Internet Explorer and Internet Tools, some of your Internet Explorer settings may have changed. You can reset your Internet Explorer settings to their original defaults, including your home page and search pages, and choice of default browser, without changing your other browser's settings.

On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
    (OR, Control Panel>Internet options.
    Click the Programs tab.
    Click the Reset Web Settings button.
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2006
    How can you not like Firefox? headscratch.gif

Abe Vigoda: Still Alive
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    I

'gus I want you to know that this PC Support stuff is above and beyond, and could get me thrown out of the Apple Club naughty.gif
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    'gus I want you to know that this PC Support stuff is above and beyond, and could get me thrown out of the Apple Club naughty.gif

Yeah, Andy...we're keeping an eye on you...
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 10, 2006
    Humungus wrote:

Gus

open up your control panel > add remove programs

along the left hand side click where it says "Set Program Access and Defaults"

expand the "custom" section and under "choose a web browser" go ahead and select Internet Exploder.

or you could just stay with firefox. you'll get used to it and find out how much more gooder it is. promise.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Gus, it's like if you drank whole milk your whole life and switched to 2% milk. You'd hate it at first, but then after a month of drinking 2%, if you went back to whole you'd hate that....stick with FF it's better, and after a month you'll never want to go back to IE.

Just my opinion...
    mate you can keep it...i have never ever in 6 years of IE cable net suffered more from the adwares/spyware as much as i have in the last 2 days. I never get any probs with IE. I dont know why.

I just wanted to try FF again,
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    To reset Internet Explorer settings

If you installed another Web browser after installing Internet Explorer and Internet Tools, some of your Internet Explorer settings may have changed. You can reset your Internet Explorer settings to their original defaults, including your home page and search pages, and choice of default browser, without changing your other browser's settings.

On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
    (OR, Control Panel>Internet options.
    Click the Programs tab.
    Click the Reset Web Settings button.

thumb.gif that worked ! ta
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    How can you not like Firefox? headscratch.gif

Abe Vigoda: Still Alive
    Its just plain yuk. Mate please dont pick on me...i simply will not colour in outside the lines.

You can see my depth of knowledge so i bet you would be impressed with how stuff is filed & what you have to do to get a prog to run on my comp. I was asked only last week to test some new models out for AMD as they have never seen a running computer with rags tied around it & steam blasting from the rear.
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2006
    Andy wrote:

Oh god no...will that mean you can stop wearing your shorts up under your arm pits ?
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    Gus

open up your control panel > add remove programs

along the left hand side click where it says "Set Program Access and Defaults"

expand the "custom" section and under "choose a web browser" go ahead and select Internet Exploder.

or you could just stay with firefox. you'll get used to it and find out how much more gooder it is. promise.
    ta BWG...i read andys 1st & that worked just fine. I have just spent the past 2 days trying to rid myself of a real barry crocker of a spyware (it was cutting me off the web every 4 mins & my ISP said i was still connected)...nothing could help me & i didnt know what it was called until the computer froze during one of my 4 min re-boots & i saw it. Spent the next day (4 mins at a time) crawling the wed in IT forums & found a method to kill it.

I fear adware/spyware much more than viruses.
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    Oh god no...will that mean you can stop wearing your shorts up under your arm pits ?

First you say "Don't pick on me" like the kid with glasses on the schoolyard, and then this?

WTG, Gus!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2006
    Humungus wrote:

Huh. Interesting. Never once had a problem or even thought about having a problem with one of those things.

Andy? You ever had a problem with that there adware/spyware?

Nup, me neither.

You know, come to think of it, I've never heard one--not one, mind you--of my mac using friends ever say that they've encountered a single solitary one of those nasty adware/spyware things.

Interesting....boy, I'm glad I don't have to waste hours on that stuff!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2006
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Humungus

DavidTO wrote:
    First you say "Don't pick on me" like the kid with glasses on the schoolyard, and then this?

WTG, Gus!

a little too close 'eh ? lol3.gif
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 11, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    ta BWG...i read andys 1st & that worked just fine. I have just spent the past 2 days trying to rid myself of a real barry crocker of a spyware (it was cutting me off the web every 4 mins & my ISP said i was still connected)...nothing could help me & i didnt know what it was called until the computer froze during one of my 4 min re-boots & i saw it. Spent the next day (4 mins at a time) crawling the wed in IT forums & found a method to kill it.

so freaking weird. I would swear to you that neither of andy's posts were there when i made mine.

<twilight zone music>

at any rate, glad you got fixed...if that's what you wanted.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2006
    /rant mode on

:soapbox

I love both my Mac and my Winbox equally, which is not a whole lot. I do not buy into the story that the Mac is much easier to use than Windows. It isn't. Ask my wife, she can't find her way around the Mac without me going through it step-by-step. She is just too used to the Windows way of thinking, and finds that very easy to do. So to her, Windows is more user friendly.

Another example: exactly with the problem Gus was experiencing I had a horrible experience with my iBook two weeks ago. This made me realize that Apple most definitely and plainly sucks in resetting the default web browser and e-mail application. Reason? You need to do that *in* Safari and Mail.

I recently had a corrupt Mail database. Opening Mail was impossible, and I could not get back to Thunderbird as my default e-mail application, since I had to change the setting inside Mail. And starting Mail only made it crash before I could change any setting. All I could do in the end (found by tons of trial and error), is use a mailto link to open only the new message from Mail, not the complete app, delete the first few messages where the corruption apparantly was caused and only then could I set my default app again.

User friendly? No fricking way. I spent the whole night resolving this. I probably could have restarted my computer while pressing four or five different keys, and standing on my head at the same time (the user friendly way of wiping some system settings on a Mac amazes me all the time), but a Google search didn't even find that solution. All I found was "set it in Mail, it's easy". Bah.

And no, in 10 years of Windows computing I've not been bothered by viruses and spyware/malware. I'm just picky in what I install and accept, and run a decent firewall/anti-virus app. And although Mac OS X behaves much better than Windows in this matter (thankfully!) it's not as if the Mac is immune, after all what other reason would there be for me to install one Security Update after the other on Mac OS X.

So I tend to use both, and like/dislike them equally.

/rant mode off

Sorry, but I had to vent.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2006
    Good post marlof

Mate people feel compelled to defend there weapon of choice more so than to use it.
  • Options
    rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2006
    Regardless of the MAC/PC, IE/FF argument, me and my other half run a business that deals with many many complaints just like yours Gus. You are not alone. If you ever want free help give me a shout.
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2006
    Marlo,

Just having some fun with Gus. No worries, and yep, nothing's perfect.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2006
    I knew how it was meant what you said. I just needed to vent on the "ease of use of the Mac". I feel much better now! :D
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2006
    marlof wrote:
    I knew how it was meant what you said. I just needed to vent on the "ease of use of the Mac". I feel much better now! :D

23 years using PeeCees - 23years of system maintenance. 1 year of using all Macs - never had to go to registry, deal with a virus, system problem, nothing. NOt on G5, Mini, or Powerbook. They just work.

But hey, maybe it's just me naughty.gif
  • Options
    luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    23 years using PeeCees - 23years of system maintenance. 1 year of using all Macs - never had to go to registry, deal with a virus, system problem, nothing. NOt on G5, Mini, or Powerbook. They just work.

But hey, maybe it's just me naughty.gif

You're a lucky man Andy.... :):

I have the opposite effect, anything I touch, breaks, implodes or turns into a grunting llama...

(3 out of 3 experiences with Apples have been somewhat hostile so far, but then about 900/1000 PC experiences that I've had are hostile. At least I managed to get an Apple to install its OS, more than I managed with UNIX for about a year)

I wish you all the best in the horrific land of x86.

Luke
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2006
    Dunno if it's you, it might as well be me. But then again, I'm well aware of problems similar to mine with Macs in for instance the MacNN forums. A Mac is no guarantee for ease of use and trouble free computing. It's different. And that's good. I like different.
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2006
    You're a lucky man Andy.... :):

I wish you all the best in the horrific land of x86.

Luke

:nono I'm not going there yet - believe it or not! I just got a new Powerbook a few months ago... gonna wait and see, what they come out with, as to new laptops... and also want to see the real-world perf numbers of photoshop on the new platform.
  • Options
    luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    :nono I'm not going there yet - believe it or not! I just got a new Powerbook a few months ago... gonna wait and see, what they come out with, as to new laptops... and also want to see the real-world perf numbers of photoshop on the new platform.

The words of a wise man clap.gif

But I do genuinely hope that it all works out for Apple.

Luke
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2006
    But I do genuinely hope that it all works out for Apple.

Yeah, 'cause if it doesn't, we're ALL screwed.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2006
    rahmonster wrote:
    Regardless of the MAC/PC, IE/FF argument, me and my other half run a business that deals with many many complaints just like yours Gus. You are not alone. If you ever want free help give me a shout.
    Tks heaps RM.