weird Self-portrait

elfving73elfving73 Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
edited January 14, 2006 in Holy Macro
Howdy folks!

For a week, I've been forced to spend a lot of time at Huddinge Sjukhus (Huddinge Hospital). I work as an personal assistans and the one I work for has been ill. Not very much though, but he had an infection and they wanted to keep him there just to be on the safe side. Anyway, I had to be there, but there wasn't much I could do. He was in bed all the time, and the doctors and nurses took good care of him. Imagine 50 hours of absolutely nothing to do... you read, watch tv, stroll down to by sandwishes and candy, listen to sick moaning people and drick coffiee til your stomach get an disorder. Eventually, you get these weird ideas......

To get to the hospital ward where he was "checked in", you'll have to walk miles through what feels like never ending corridors. Every day I passed this lonely, oddly placed chair. One day, I couldn't stop myself from snappin' this weird "self-portrait". *Haha* I told ya - to much coffie and bordom!!! So incredible nutty, yet I kinda like this pic for the colors and lines! :):

Stay Tuned / Matty

51884812-O.jpg

Comments

• DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2006
    i really like this photo. the warmth of the colors. how the lines lead you into the person on the chair. nicely done.thumb.gif a very "abstract" look at self portraits.
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2006
    lol3.gif

what a nut! Nice work, Matty :D
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2006
    Hey that's really neat
    I'm thinking of starting an album for all my "nutty" photos... title to be "caught my eye."
  • elfving73elfving73 Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2006
    Thank you Daniel! :): Yes, "abstract" is the word! I should have used that instead of "weird" in the title - or both!

Matty

DanielB wrote:
    i really like this photo. the warmth of the colors. how the lines lead you into the person on the chair. nicely done.thumb.gif a very "abstract" look at self portraits.
    edited January 10, 2006
    Thanx Andy! *Haha* I guess it takes a nut to snap pictures like this! Imagine the thrill - I snapped this in the morning hour rush and the corridors was rather busy - believe it or not. The black wall on the right is an lift shaft with 8 busy elevators. But I manage to pull this of without being "spotted" (I think!?) I guess that's what triggers me - the chase is sometimes better than the catch! :D

Matty

Andy wrote:
    lol3.gif

what a nut! Nice work, Matty :D
    edited January 10, 2006
    Thanx Dee! :):
  • OakleyOakley Registered Users Posts: 446 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2006
    I really like the shot. The lines and colors are great. But I would have been just a little nuttier with your positioning. I mean...all the lines, color, and space create this "mood" but then the focus (ie. you in the chair) is sort of...well, boring I suppose.

I wonder what the shot would have looked like if you had tipped the chair over and pretended you were sitting up the wall?

haha...I guess you were still in a public place and didn't want to get arrested or committed to the psyche ward across the street! eek7.gif

Anyway, good shot, very unique.
    Ryan Oakley - www.ryanoakleyphotography.ca [My smugmug site]
    www.photographyontheside.com [My blog about creating a part-time photography business]
    Create A Gorgeous Photography Website with Smugmug in 90 Minutes [My free course if you need help setting up and customizing your SmugMug site]
  • Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2006
    That one fits the "Cool Shots" category well. Boredom can breed interesting ideas. rolleyes1.gif
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2006
    Very weird but very cool!
  • StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2006
    I love it! It portrays many things to me.
    Bordom
    Loneliness
    Worry
    The Unknown
    The position of the person says "I'm following the rules."
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited January 11, 2006
    Matty -

I think it's a very cool photo! thumb.gif
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2006
    it doesn't look like it's taken from floor-level - do you carry your tripod with you, or was there another chair handy to put the camera on, or...?

icon_pirate.gif
  • eye-maxeye-max Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2006
    thanks Matty, now I'm lurkingmwink.gif in deserted hallwaysrolleyes1.gif ......very cool pic.
    max
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2006
    One Flew Over The Coo Coo Nest
    Very funny

Thanks
    Fred
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 12, 2006
    Dee wrote:
    I'm thinking of starting an album for all my "nutty" photos... title to be "caught my eye."

yeah, pretty neat--

george
    edited January 12, 2006
    Haha! Thanx Oakley! I understand what you mean and I fully agree - sitting up the wall would give the pic another weird, totally surrealistic twist. But it would be a sport pulling that of using the self-timer. For a composition like that, 10 seconds just isn't enough time! ne_nau.gif:D And the place was public and rather crowded - I took a chance. When there was a few seconds with no elevator commin' to floor 8, I hit the self-timer, ran over and sat down on the chair - desperately hopin' for NO ELEVATOR, then I scurried back, grabbed my cam and moved on. That's part of what I like with photography - the thrill of the chase, and sometimes the chase is better than the catch! :D

Matty

Oakley wrote:
    I really like the shot. The lines and colors are great. But I would have been just a little nuttier with your positioning. I mean...all the lines, color, and space create this "mood" but then the focus (ie. you in the chair) is sort of...well, boring I suppose.

I wonder what the shot would have looked like if you had tipped the chair over and pretended you were sitting up the wall?

haha...I guess you were still in a public place and didn't want to get arrested or committed to the psyche ward across the street! eek7.gif

Anyway, good shot, very unique.
    edited January 12, 2006
    Haha! Thank you, Phil! :): thumb.gif
    Phil U. wrote:
    That one fits the "Cool Shots" category well. Boredom can breed interesting ideas. rolleyes1.gif
    edited January 12, 2006
    Thank you, Phil! :):
    4labs wrote:
    Very weird but very cool!
    edited January 12, 2006
    Thank you, Dana! Yes, I think you're right! You know, this was just a spontanious whim, and while acting on the impulse, I had no obvious "idea" other than this will we an odd and weird image that will allow free interpretations. But when sitting down on the chair longing for the sound of the shutter - I was thinking "How would Forrest Gump sit on a chair?" rolleyes1.gif

Matty
    I love it! It portrays many things to me.
    Bordom
    Loneliness
    Worry
    The Unknown
    The position of the person says "I'm following the rules."
    edited January 12, 2006
    Thank you, Angelo! thumb.gif
    Angelo wrote:
    Matty -

I think it's a very cool photo! thumb.gif
    edited January 12, 2006
    Even better, there was this abandoned hospital bed that I used. Perfect - mobile and totaly adjustable both in height and direction! thumb.gif

Matty
    StevenV wrote:
    it doesn't look like it's taken from floor-level - do you carry your tripod with you, or was there another chair handy to put the camera on, or...?

icon_pirate.gif
    edited January 12, 2006
    Hahaha! COOL! I'm looking forward to see some "deserted hallways"-samples á la eye-max! thumb.gif:Dmwink.gif
    eye-max wrote:
    thanks Matty, now I'm lurkingmwink.gif in deserted hallwaysrolleyes1.gif ......very cool pic.
    edited January 12, 2006
    Hahaha! Yes... or:

"The annual meeting of W.W.H.Z.S.O.D.S (We-Who-Have-Zero-Sense-Of-Direction Society) :Drolleyes1.gif

Matty
    USAIR wrote:
    One Flew Over The Coo Coo Nest
    Very funny

Thanks
    Fred
    edited January 12, 2006
    Great! Make way for the new era of "totaly weird photography" thumb.gif !
    gefillmore wrote:
    yeah, pretty neat--

george
  • NordicNordic Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2006
    elfving73 wrote:

51884812-O.jpg

This is so cool! I love this picture! clap.gifclap.gif
  • retroretro Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2006
    great shot! thumb.gif

warm colours and nice lines contrasting with the theme (as i interpret it) loneliness and cold hospital environment,,

btw, I live nearby, been there many times..
    edited January 13, 2006
    Thanx Nordic! :):
    Nordic wrote:
    This is so cool! I love this picture! clap.gifclap.gif
    edited January 13, 2006
    Thank you, Retro!

Cool! I've spent much time at HS too. Both from being sick myself (nothing very bad though), in work (as a personal assistant) - and not to meantion that my first son was born there. :): Oh Yes - I have driven by MANY TIMES because I use to drive bus, and oftenly bus 172 (Skarpnäck-Norsborg) That route actually has a stop just outside the main entrance of HS. :D

Haha! Well! Well! So, where do ya live, Retro? *Curious*

Matty
    retro wrote:
    great shot! thumb.gif

warm colours and nice lines contrasting with the theme (as i interpret it) loneliness and cold hospital environment,,

btw, I live nearby, been there many times..
  • Tom K.Tom K. Registered Users Posts: 817 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2006
    Now THAT is so damn cool. Superb idea and flawless execution. Bravo!!!
    Visit My Web Site ~ http://www.tomkaszuba.com/