fun soccer camera/lens!

Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
edited January 11, 2006 in Sports
hi all,

I got a Canon 20D and 100-400 lens just before Christmas, mostly for shooting soccer but had to wait until this week end to really try it out. Man, what a camera and what a lens. Ooh boy, I'm gonna have some fun this spring:clap

Here is an example of my son's friend (4th of a series that you don't even know you're clicking off; my old camera was a Canon Rebel and, while it also had the multiple shot feature, it didn't seem any where near as responsive as the 20D does). Let me know what you think (I'm still learning post processing...)

cheers,

Colleen
Colleen
check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)

Comments

• DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2006
    Enjoy your new gear! I just recently got a new (to me) 20D and I'm reaaly loving it. The burst mode really is quick compared to the Rebel, isn't it? mwink.gif

I'll be interested to see more shots this spring, my longest lens right now is 200mm.
  • JoeLJoeL Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2006
    Thats a great image. I love shooting Soccer, thats my favorite sport to shoot for sure. Kids and soccer is great, the expressions and fun is never ending.

Looks like your on the way to having lots of fun and preserving really nice memories. You did a great job at editing and cropping.thumb.gif
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited January 11, 2006
    Colleen,

Looks good thumb.gif Love the action and the facial expressions clap.gif

Since I am using my work monitor, you may want to take this with a grain of salt. It looks like your pic is a bit too bright and could also use some contrast via applying a bit of curves adjustment.

Yep, I think you are really going to have fun shooting sports with your setup :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2006
    no salt needed
    Colleen,

Looks good thumb.gif Love the action and the facial expressions clap.gif

Since I am using my work monitor, you may want to take this with a grain of salt. It looks like your pic is a bit too bright and could also use some contrast via applying a bit of curves adjustment.

Yep, I think you are really going to have fun shooting sports with your setup :D

Steve

thanks for the comments Steve. I have to admit how surprised I was at what a difference a really good camera can make (in terms of responsiveness). I was equally impressed with the lens when I got home and started playing with the images.

but, I am still a bit of a noob and need to remember to check all settings before I start shooting... the picture looks bright on your monitor not b/c of your monitor but b/c it was shot (on a bright sunny day) at ISO 800eek7.gif Chalk one up to the learning curve and I'm glad I know as much ps as I do (but there's still lots more to learn)
    Colleen

• Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2006
    thanks!
    JoeL wrote:
    Thats a great image. I love shooting Soccer, thats my favorite sport to shoot for sure. Kids and soccer is great, the expressions and fun is never ending.

Looks like your on the way to having lots of fun and preserving really nice memories. You did a great job at editing and cropping.thumb.gif

thanks for stopping by and looking Joe. I appreciate your comments and have learned a lot from your other posts. I have to admit though, I'm still torn between cropping for standard print size (ie 4x6) or for the best picture. When I process for other parents, I usually go for standard sizes and grimace at the extra space.

cheers
    Colleen

• Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited January 11, 2006
    Frog Lady wrote:
    thanks for the comments Steve. I have to admit how surprised I was at what a difference a really good camera can make (in terms of responsiveness). I was equally impressed with the lens when I got home and started playing with the images.

but, I am still a bit of a noob and need to remember to check all settings before I start shooting... the picture looks bright on your monitor not b/c of your monitor but b/c it was shot (on a bright sunny day) at ISO 800eek7.gif Chalk one up to the learning curve and I'm glad I know as much ps as I do (but there's still lots more to learn)

Laughing.gif Colleen rolleyes1.gif

Regarding the high ISO setting, been there, done that, got lots of bright pics too....Laughing.gif

I like to blame it on my age instead of my laziness...lol I'm sure you will do this one again. I know I have done it more than once rolleyes1.gif When will they put the ISO setting in the VF?...Laughing.gif

If you liked these at ISO800, just wait until you shoot some soccer at ISO100 or 200. The saturation and clear detail will knock your socks off thumb.gif That's why I always wear 2 pair....Laughing.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero