Pentax K-1 First Shot

wtlwdwgnwtlwdwgn Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
edited May 8, 2016 in Cameras
First shot taken with a Pentax K-1 and SMC Pentax-A 70-210mm f/4 Macro @ 210mm.

Kimber-0020.jpg
Steve

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited May 4, 2016
    Ah, the fabled Pentax A-1 FF coupled to a classic and verrry competent tele-zoom lens. Congratulations, I am envious. thumb.gifclap (Pentaxian since 1967.)

Even your subject seems to be smiling, and maybe even smirking a bit.

Is this using AF-Assist?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • wtlwdwgnwtlwdwgn Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2016
    Thanks Ziggy. Yep, the long awaited K-1 is here and I love my A series lenses. I just used manual focus although I have set the Catch-in-Focus.

Pentaxian since 1965. :D
    Steve
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2016
    Very nice!! I'd be interested to hear what you think of pixel shift.

Is this the lens you used?

smc_Pentax-A_70-210mm_F4.jpg

I just scored one on ebay for $65, looks like it's in excellent shape too. It's a gift for my uncle who shoots a K-S1.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited May 6, 2016
    Yes Jack, that's the one and one of my favorites. I haven't had a chance to try out the pixel shift yet but when I do I'll post some images.
    Steve
    edited May 6, 2016
    Thanks. I'm actually bidding on another one for myself for my old MX. I love this about Pentax, that you can use these vintage lenses on modern bodies. Maybe not the best business model for them, but it's a win for photographers!
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited May 6, 2016
    Interestingly, any Nikon F mount lens since 1959 can be mounted on a new Nikon. I guess they're following Pentax's lead! :D
    Steve
    edited May 7, 2016
    wtlwdwgn wrote: »
    Interestingly, any Nikon F mount lens since 1959 can be mounted on a new Nikon. I guess they're following Pentax's lead! :D

Haha, oh right. I'm not well versed in the Nikon ecosystem. Any time I pick up a friend's Nikon I'm utterly confounded by the user interface. Anyway, I'd love to see more K1 examples when you get a chance.
    -Jack

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited May 7, 2016
    wtlwdwgn wrote: »

I believe that you need to reset that date to 1977 and only include "Ai" type lenses. While it's true that the Nikon "F-mount" Bayonet was introduced earlier, Pre-Ai coupling is very different from Ai coupling and Pre-Ai lenses may damage most later Ai bodies if you try to mount them.

According to Nikon USA (emphasis mine):
    "In 1977 Nikon introduced a new system for coupling the lens to the cameras exposure system. This new coupling system was called "Automatic maximum aperture indexing" or "Ai" for short. This change did not effect the traditional Nikon bayonet mount, thus allowing Ai (and the latter AF and AIS) lenses to be fitted to older non-Ai cameras."

"However, while Ai lenses where backwards compatible with non-Ai cameras, non Ai lenses were not compatible with all Ai cameras. The Nikon FM, FE, EL2, F3, F4 and Nikkormat FT3 cameras used the Ai metering system but allowed non-Ai lenses to be fitted due to the metering coupling lever being able to be disengaged. The F5 can have this mechanism fitted as an optional extra, please contact your local Nikon representive for more details. The F2A and F2AS were Ai cameras but the Ai mechanism was fitted to the removable metering prism."

Additionally:
    Non-AI lenses
    "Nikkor-Q, -P, -H type, and other non-AI lenses were designed long before digital cameras and cannot be used on any D-SLR or late model film SLR, with the exception of the new Df.
    The Nikon Df body allows for connection of most Non-AI lenses through the use of a newly designed Meter Coupling Lever, which has a hinged tab that folds down for connecting Non-AI lenses."
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited May 8, 2016
    Thanks for the info Ziggy. I'll be posting more K-1 images in the forums. :D
    Steve