Options

A couple more questions re general functionality

marassamarassa Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited May 12, 2016 in SmugMug Support
1. I noticed that I can add keywords not only to individual photos but to galleries and folders as well. But the keywords I have added to galleries and folders do not show in the keyword "cloud" nor do they show up in the search results. Question: how do I search for keywords assigned to galleries and folders? How are those keywords supposed to work at all?
2. I noticed that I can specify a custom URL (my own domain) for my whole SmugMug account. Question: can I have my own domain pointing to a particular SmugMug gallery or folder?
Many thanks in advance,
Andrei

Comments

• Options
    photoclickphotoclick Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2016
    2. If you use Smugmug's custom domain feature - your only option is to have the root domain pointing to your Smugmug account. However, if you have your main website hosted somewhere else. I believe you can point a subdomain to a folder or gallery. The configuration for this has to be done in the domain account management area of whoever organization you are hosting your main domain with.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,239 moderator
    edited May 11, 2016
    photoclick wrote: »
    2. If you use Smugmug's custom domain feature - your only option is to have the root domain pointing to your Smugmug account. However, if you have your main website hosted somewhere else. I believe you can point a subdomain to a folder or gallery. The configuration for this has to be done in the domain account management area of whoever organization you are hosting your main domain with.
    I thought that even the subdomain needs to be pointed to the home page of the smug site. It might be worth checking with the help desk if one of the heroes doesn't pop in here.

--- Denise
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,239 moderator
    edited May 11, 2016
    marassa wrote: »
    1. I noticed that I can add keywords not only to individual photos but to galleries and folders as well. But the keywords I have added to galleries and folders do not show in the keyword "cloud" nor do they show up in the search results. Question: how do I search for keywords assigned to galleries and folders? How are those keywords supposed to work at all?
    The help page How does search work? implies that the gallery keywords are searchable. Have you tried entering a gallery keyword in the search box for your site?

I just verified that using the search box on my site and specifying galleries as the search result does show the galleries keyworded with the word I searched for.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2016
    Thank you Denise - sorry I didn't find the help page myself. It's all clear now.
    As for custom domains, here's what I was thinking of: I have a project www.art-nouveau.ru which is basically a bunch of pictures and a map. Currently the pictures are stored with Picasa which is being retired and the map is entirely implemented in Google MyMaps which is very simple but a bit limiting in functionality. As I am searching for a new hosting service for my pictures anyway I thought what if I were able to implement the COMPLETE functionality in SmugMug? But I'm afraid it's not going to happen for a whole variety of reasons...
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2016
    Andrei - I personally have never tried the map functionality in SMugMug, but take a look at this help article: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93311. Will it do what you want and keep all - hosting and map - in one area?
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2016
    Thank you, I have looked into the SM map functionality and it does not seem to fit the bill for me. First, in SmugMug only individual photos can be geotagged, not galleries. I would rather not clutter the map with dozens of pins located at the exact same spot and all leading to dozens of pictures of the same building, I would much prefer each pin to lead to a gallery with some text and some pictures all related to one building. And last but not least, with Google Maps I like the idea of having the whole enormous Google Maps functionality right at the user's fingertips - like virtually walking the streets in Street View, getting directions to the landmark, locating a nice restaurant with good reviews nearby etc. MapQuest is ages behind in this regard. So basically I would prefer to keep the map functionality in Google Maps but embed it into some CMS (e.g. Joomla, Wordpress) that would allow me to extend it with the functionality I don't have in MyMaps, like grouping buildings by architect, adding more formatting to building descriptions etc. I even started looking into Joomla a few months ago but quickly discovered that I got way too old and lazy for that ;) Now the imminent closure of Picasa and the necessity to move at least the pictures somewhere else might give me a much needed kick in the right direction ;)
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2016
    I'n not really familiar much with google maps api - but I thought you could simply add image links , regardless where they are, to a point on the map, can you?
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2016
    photoclick wrote: »
    I'n not really familiar much with google maps api - but I thought you could simply add image links , regardless where they are, to a point on the map, can you?
    I can, but to populate my Google Map via its API I will need some javascripting in the host web site which SmugMug doesn't seem to support.