multiple galleries for 1 photo

deblooisdebloois Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited July 2, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Hi,
I'm new to smugmug so I want to apologize beforehand if this is something that's already possible or has already been discussed and dismissed.
I've looked in the smugmug help and the forums and couldn't find this, so I thought I try my hand at posting...

In some cases I would like to be able to have a particular photo appear in more than one gallery.

I know you can "sort of" do this by choosing "make 2nd copy" and then move the copy to the other gallery but it seems to me that it is much more efficient to be able to assign the original photo to more than one gallery.
It saves smugmug some space, and if you use keywords, you don't have to copy (some of) them and you don't have duplicates in your search results.

I'm very enthusiastic about smugmug (I've been a member for a week now and have uploaded 1.2 Gb worth of photos), I love the way it works and I think it offers a lot of value for money.

Greetings,
Karen

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2006
    wave.gif Welcome to Dgrin and SmugMug, deboois :D

There's no need to apologize for asking any questions here! Thanks for searching, too. I wish I had a different answer for you, but the way you described, make 2nd copy, is the way to do it. Your idea, has been asked in our "features request" thread by another SmugMugger... and we thank you for telling us how you'd like it, too!

Can't promise if/when we'd do it, but the engineers and the whole team are aware of it.

Thanks again for posting.

All the best,
  • MartybMartyb Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 27, 2006
    Just add to the 'move photos (expert)
    It would be great to have a 'copy' checkbox in the 'move photos (expert)'. That would solve it for me.

Cheers
    Marty
  • meewolfiemeewolfie Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited July 2, 2006
    I know this is kind of an old thread, but I'm a new user and was looking for this same feature.

Does "make a second copy" really force the system to create a whole new copy of the photo? I have a professional account, so the space issue isn't a problem for me, but I could see how this might affect one of the base level accounts.

It would be great if we could simply include the same photo in multiple categories - having only one instance of the photo file and a tag that would pull it into the specified galleries when the galleries are viewed.

(as someone mentioned, the Keyword will do something similar - but then you get bumped out of the gallery structure)

Mary
    Brecksville, Ohio
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2006
    meewolfie wrote:
    I know this is kind of an old thread, but I'm a new user and was looking for this same feature.

Does "make a second copy" really force the system to create a whole new copy of the photo? I have a professional account, so the space issue isn't a problem for me, but I could see how this might affect one of the base level accounts.

It would be great if we could simply include the same photo in multiple categories - having only one instance of the photo file and a tag that would pull it into the specified galleries when the galleries are viewed.

(as someone mentioned, the Keyword will do something similar - but then you get bumped out of the gallery structure)

Mary

wave.gif Hi Mary, thanks for the great input. BTW, look thru the links in my sig, for some great SmugMug Pro resources. If I can be of any service to you, please holler for me here or at the help desk.

:D