Options

Stats Question

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited June 1, 2016 in SmugMug Support
OK, I can see how many images are viewed each day, but I don't know how to find out what images were viewed.

How can I see what images were viewed? Or narrow it down to which gallery? How many different viewers?

I sure I'm missing something but what good is it to know one or maybe more people are looking at some unknown images or galleries?

Sam

PS: While we are at it, why do I have to go to SmugMug to log-in or to access account info? Why isn't the access, log-in available from my website?

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2016
    Turn on the min-footed that has the log in link.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2016
    Allen wrote: »
    Turn on the min-footed that has the log in link.

Allen,

Thanks for your fast response. I do however have one small question.............what in God's green earth is a min-footed and where the heck is it? ne_nau.gifdunnone_nau.gif

Sam
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,245 moderator
    edited May 24, 2016
    Sam wrote: »
    Thanks for your fast response. I do however have one small question.............what in God's green earth is a min-footed and where the heck is it?
    Sam -
    Allen is referring to the mini-footer.

I would guess you have this code in your site to remove the powered by smugmug - Remove the "Powered by SmugMug" Footer. I believe the code removes both the powered by smugmug and the log in link.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2016
    :bash:bash:bash:bash:bash:bash:bash:bash:bash:bash:bash:bash:bash:bash:bash:bash:bash:bash:bash:bash:bash:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry

Q: What is Minnesota?

A: It's a state.

Q: What is a state?

A: It's both a geographic entity and a political entity.

Q: Where is Minnesota?

A: On a planet.

Q: How would I get there?

A/Q: Where are you?

Q/A: I am in code land.

A: You can't get there from there.

:hide:hide:hide:hide:hide:hide

Sorry................:cry The log-in is hidden in some code in / on a min-footer thing. Of course I really don't want to have "powered by SmugMug" or other stuff visible ether. Not that I don't like SmugMug. :D Couldn't we have a secret colored dot or something for log-in access?

While I am :bash:bash:bash Any idea on the stats question?

Too many complicated non intuitive very simple mind bending quandaries lately.

Off to the liquor store.

Sam
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited May 24, 2016
    Don't panic. It's really not that complicated.

1) In order to see any stats at all--or do anything else other than view the public galleries--you need to be logged in. The footer contains the login link that most of us use to log in when viewing our sites as visitors. You obviously have a way of logging in, or your complaint would be quite different.

2) There are several ways of viewing stats of specific images. In the Account Settings->Stats panel, click on Photo Views->Details. Go to the Photo Trends or Popularity tabs, select a gallery and drill down to get to individual images. AFAIK, there is no way to distinguish returning from unique views in SM stats. GA or Statcounter might give more info, dunno--I've never been concerned with that at the image-specific level.
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2016
    Richard wrote: »
    Don't panic. It's really not that complicated.

1) In order to see any stats at all--or do anything else other than view the public galleries--you need to be logged in. The footer contains the login link that most of us use to log in when viewing our sites as visitors. You obviously have a way of logging in, or your complaint would be quite different.

2) There are several ways of viewing stats of specific images. In the Account Settings->Stats panel, click on Photo Views->Details. Go to the Photo Trends or Popularity tabs, select a gallery and drill down to get to individual images. AFAIK, there is no way to distinguish returning from unique views in SM stats. GA or Statcounter might give more info, dunno--I've never been concerned with that at the image-specific level.

Thanks Richard,

Yes I can log-in but I need to visit the "SmugMug"website to log-in or have access to settings. Have no idea where the min-footer thing hides.

As to stats.................... As an example I see a high number of views on a particular day and want to see which images or galleries were viewed how can I do that? Going through each of my galleries individually would be ridiculous.

Sam
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,245 moderator
    edited May 24, 2016
    Yes I can log-in but I need to visit the "SmugMug"website to log-in or have access to settings. Have no idea where the min-footer thing hides.
    Sam -
    The mini-footer is enabled by Customize... Content and Design... then click SETTINGS.
    But - the options are the full footer or mini-footer. As I noted above, you have used CSS to remove the powered by smugmug and the log in link. You can remove the CSS to get the login back but that will also show "powered by smugmug". You'll need to choose which is more important to you.

--- Denise
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited May 25, 2016
    As to stats.................... As an example I see a high number of views on a particular day and want to see which images or galleries were viewed how can I do that? Going through each of my galleries individually would be ridiculous.
    The easiest way would be to first set the date properly, then go to the Popularity tab. The galleries with hits are listed with their hit counts. You can then click on the galleries you're interested in and see the hit count for each pic. If you then switch to the Gallery Details tab, you can see which sizes of each pic were viewed. AFAIK, there's no way to see pic level data without going through a gallery selection first, but if something is hot it's pretty easy to locate using the steps I described.
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2016
    Sam -
    The mini-footer is enabled by Customize... Content and Design... then click SETTINGS.
    But - the options are the full footer or mini-footer. As I noted above, you have used CSS to remove the powered by smugmug and the log in link. You can remove the CSS to get the login back but that will also show "powered by smugmug". You'll need to choose which is more important to you.

--- Denise

Thanks Denise!!!!

This lets me know exactly what and where my options are. clap.gifclapclap.gif

Sam

EDIT: No workie.....................I turned the footer "ON" but all I got was a small faint transparent menu bar in the middle of the homepage (barely visible.) With a small faint SmugMug logo on the right, no log-in and of course this watermark style menu bar in the middle of the page is not helpful.

I guess I just have to live with it.:cry

Thanks for trying.
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2016
    Sam -

--- Denise
    Richard wrote: »
    The easiest way would be to first set the date properly, then go to the Popularity tab. The galleries with hits are listed with their hit counts. You can then click on the galleries you're interested in and see the hit count for each pic. If you then switch to the Gallery Details tab, you can see which sizes of each pic were viewed. AFAIK, there's no way to see pic level data without going through a gallery selection first, but if something is hot it's pretty easy to locate using the steps I described.

Thanks Richard,

Like Denise this is exactly the kind of detailed answer that a lot of folks need. :D

Sam
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited May 26, 2016
    I think the confusion came because Allen assumed you understood that "footer" meant "at the bottom of the page". In the future, clarifying that you didn't know where the footer was sooner would help avoid the need for sarcastic head bashing (the answer: "Footer" means "at the bottom of the page" the same way that your feet are at the bottom of your body).

If you add the following CSS, you can turn the "Login" button back. It will be placed in the very bottom right corner of your screen:
    /* Turn the Login link back on, after hiding the Powered by SmugMug */
    a.sm-page-login-link {
        display: block !important;
        position: fixed;
        bottom: 0px;
        right: 10px;
    }

Sounds like Denise and Richard beat me to answering the stats question. Let me know if you still need some clarification.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2016
    leftquark wrote: »
    I think the confusion came because Allen assumed you understood that "footer" meant "at the bottom of the page". In the future, clarifying that you didn't know where the footer was sooner would help avoid the need for sarcastic head bashing (the answer: "Footer" means "at the bottom of the page" the same way that your feet are at the bottom of your body).

If you add the following CSS, you can turn the "Login" button back. It will be placed in the very bottom right corner of your screen:
    /* Turn the Login link back on, after hiding the Powered by SmugMug */
    a.sm-page-login-link {
        display: block !important;
        position: fixed;
        bottom: 0px;
        right: 10px;
    }

Sounds like Denise and Richard beat me to answering the stats question. Let me know if you still need some clarification.

I copied this code and found 2 CSS options under customize, content and design. After pasting this in each CSS area and clicking on preview, nothing changes?

Is there a different place for this code? Could there be something else on my site interfering with this?

Sam
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2016
    From any page log in. Go into customize, content and design. On the top of the right flyout click "Entire Site" to highlight it.
    Go down a little and with Content tab highlighted, under it click CSS under "On Entire Site".
    Add your CSS in the CSS box that pops up.

BTW, Preview might not show final result.
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2016
    From any page log in. Go into customize, content and design. On the top of the right flyout click "Entire Site" to highlight it.
    Go down a little and with Content tab highlighted, under it click CSS under "On Entire Site".
    Add your CSS in the CSS box that pops up.

BTW, Preview might not show final result.

Thanks Allen,

But it no work. Preview, publish, nada, zip. ne_nau.gifdunnone_nau.gif

Sam
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2016
    Thanks Allen,

But it no work. Preview, publish, nada, zip. ne_nau.gifdunnone_nau.gif

Sam
    I'm confused also. Using WebDev I removed all your CSS and the log in link did not show up.
    So I do not know what's hiding it.
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2016
    I'm confused also. Using WebDev I removed all your CSS and the log in link did not show up.
    So I do not know what's hiding it.

So I'm not crazy? All these years they been telling me to take the meds ...............finally I find out the bright lights, the missing time, the puncture marks....it's all true!!! :D

Sam
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited June 1, 2016
    I put the code I mentioned above into the 1 CSS block on your "Entire Site", below the code that removes the Powered by SmugMug section. It has to be added below the code to remove it, because it re-enables what's been turned off. CSS works by taking the last written code and using that as gospel. If you had placed the new code above the code to hide it, the browser would ignore the code to show it (essentially "show the login link but then hide everything its in, including the login link"). By placing it after it tells the browser "hide this entire section, but then turn the Login link back on."

Also, you'll only see this if you're logged out. Once logged in, the Login button would go away. On your homepage it's hard to see if the background photos are bright (matching the white text).

sams_site.png
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations