Newbie checking in

FroggyFroggy Registered Users Posts: 610 Major grins
edited January 11, 2006 in People
Hi,

My real name is Steve, I've been lurking for a while watching the talent, it seases to amaze me how talented the human race is.

I purchased a CANON 20D in August of last year with the kit lens which was sold the next day on e bay and replaced with the Tamron 28-75 2.8.

Im now the proud owner of a 70-200 2.8 IS, 400 5.6, 100 2.8 Macro, Bogen 3021 with the 488RC2 head, Dynatran Carbon Fiber Monopod, 1.4x, 580ex etc.

I'm discovering that birding is like peanuts and everything else, is like peanuts....lol.

I'm really enjoying my new found old hobby, I was into film for years in the 70's but gave it up for a point and shoot, got tired of lugging the stuff around,

The digital world is amazing, wow!! so much to learn, thats why I'm here.

Hopefuly you will accept me as friend and pest and hopefuly don't look down at me for asking dumb questions, is there one, I a firm believer in yes, but I'll never admit it....lol.

Regards

Steve
Looking for the weekend, see my images at the location below, please leave a comment if you like what you see, I would love to hear from you.:):

http://froggy.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2006
    one frog to another :-)
    hi froggy,

let me be the 1st to welcome you to dgrinclap.gif . I've really enjoyed the community here and am learning lots. I recently got the 20D as well and was amazed by what it could do on a sports shoot in particular. Ahh, but so much to learn still. Have fun w/ your new "toy" and lookin' forwards to seeing some of your stuff.

frog lady:D (aka Colleen)
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • Lee MasseyLee Massey Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2006
    Hi Steve...

Congrats on de-lurking. :D Welcome to the forums... You have found one of the friendlier forums on the net IMO. Look forward to hearing more from you...

Lee
  • FroggyFroggy Registered Users Posts: 610 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2006
    Here's a link to some of my more recent shots with the 20D
    Let me know what you Hoenstly think, If you like them please leave a comment.

Steve
    Looking for the weekend, see my images at the location below, please leave a comment if you like what you see, I would love to hear from you.:):

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2006
    Froggy wrote:

Steve

Hey, Steve,

Welcome!

So by "People" we mean shots of people. I could move your thread, but I'd much rather have you actually post a people shot so that the thread can stay where it is and you start posting some pics!

You'll also find that you'll get much more and better feedback if you post inline. A link to your site is too much work for most of us lazy loiterers. And if there's too many shots in a post, we don't spend as much time on it as if it were one or two.

So post a people shot, wouldya?

:D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2006
    You have some nice bird shots upthere Steve... Keep up the good works.
    In general in your macro shots, I would try to lower the background noise, but I am really really nitpicking now. The bird shots with the flying ones were great, I loved them. (That is my criterium for being good, if I like them)rolleyes1.gif
  • Lee MasseyLee Massey Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2006
    Very nice. It looks like you have many interesting things to photograph in your area. Nice colours and great subjects. The macro work is nice... Some of them look like they could be improved with respect to composition, but overall they are very nice.

If you want some constructive criticism then you could try posting an individual picture in the "Whipping Post" forum where they will give you honest feedback in an attempt to improve the picture. It is a good way to learn...

Thanks for sharing!!! Hope to see more of your future work...

Lee
    Froggy wrote:

Steve
  • NordicNordic Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2006
    Hi Froggy, and welcome to dgrin! wave.gif
    Froggy wrote:
    I purchased a CANON 20D in August of last year with the kit lens which was sold the next day on e bay and replaced with the Tamron 28-75 2.8.
    It lasted just one day? Laughing.gif!!! I didn't even get one. :) But I've also seen great shots with it...
    Froggy wrote:
    I'm discovering that birding is like peanuts and everything else, is like peanuts....lol.
    Ok, maybe its a language barrier thing, but I only understand peanuts. headscratch.gif
    Anyway, you have some marvelous shots on your page! I always admire people with enough patience and ambition for bird photography. The expensive equipment, the lugging around, the waiting in the cold, the amazingly uncooperative animals... Nothing for me, but I love the shots.
    Froggy wrote:
    The digital world is amazing, wow!! so much to learn, thats why I'm here.
    It doesn't matter how much you learn, there will always be someone that makes you feel sooo noob, especially regarding photoshop! :D

Regards
    Andreas
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2006
    From one Steve to another :-)
    Welcome to the madhouse

Don't worry about asking dumb questions, we don't allow them here (actually, they're allowed, we just tend to ignore them :):)

We've got lots (how many would be too many?) bird shots, but I don't think I've seen many photos posted of peanuts.

icon_pirate.gif
    edited January 11, 2006
    Peanuts are addictive....lol
    Nordic wrote:
    Hi Froggy, and welcome to dgrin! wave.gif

It lasted just one day? Laughing.gif!!! I didn't even get one. :) But I've also seen great shots with it...

Ok, maybe its a language barrier thing, but I only understand peanuts. headscratch.gif
    Anyway, you have some marvelous shots on your page! I always admire people with enough patience and ambition for bird photography. The expensive equipment, the lugging around, the waiting in the cold, the amazingly uncooperative animals... Nothing for me, but I love the shots.

It doesn't matter how much you learn, there will always be someone that makes you feel sooo noob, especially regarding photoshop! :D

Regards
    Andreas

nt

edited January 11, 2006
    Sorry guys to clear up the peanut thing
    I should have used the word addictive,rolleyes1.gif I sometimes forget that I maybe communicating to other cultures that may not understand our/my way of thinking.

Peanuts are addictive to most, so birding and digital photography have become my addiction, get it.:D

• KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2006
    Welcome to Dgrin and back into photography (digital or otherwise). You'll find this place to be a great place to ask questions and get solid answers.

I took a look at your galleries. Very nice. You have a good eye. I'm looking forward to seeing some more shots.

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site