Options

The Other Adalia Species A. decempunctata

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
edited May 31, 2016 in Holy Macro
The two-spot Ladybird Adalia bipunctat a used to be our most familiar British species. Until a few years ago large numbers would hibernate in the gaps between our wooden windows and their frames. Replacement windows and a decline in numbers mean that we only occasionally see this species.

The ten-spot is supposed to be more common and numerous that the two-spot but I have never knowingly seen it before. It also has a wider UK range, extending further into Scotland and across the whole of Ireland.

Both species are very variable in colour and pattern, with and without spots. The constant difference is the white border of the leading edge of the elytra in the 10-spot (the lower edge when folded).
I saw this one (first image) on a Hazel leaf behind some fruit bushes trained along horizontal wires. For any other viewpoints I had to detach the leaf and place it on a bird table. I used the Kiron 105mm at f16 for that image, the others:

EM-1, Schneider HM 40 (FOV 6mm) reversed onto a x 1.5 TC, f16, tin or triple off-camera RC TTL flash.
The beetle is extremely shiny and I had to reject many images due to extensive burned out, or at least intrusive, highlights. With others, these were subdued in processing.

Harold

1307036.jpg?ts=1464672210

1307037.jpg?ts=1464672210

1307038.jpg?ts=1464672654

1307039.jpg?ts=1464672210

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2016
    Sorry Harold but hot spots from flash got you here....
  • Options
    e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Sorry Harold but hot spots from flash got you here....

I know but various lightings just didn't do the job and daylight exposure was out of the question. However, they are not hot spots, just large reflections. An almost identical session with a red species of the same size gave no such problem.

Harold