A lone Hyena fights off a Wild Dog pack of 8

africaddictafricaddict Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
edited June 17, 2016 in Wildlife
Have just returned from a 3 week assignment to Sth Africa & Botswana where this amazing encounter between a lone hyena and a pack of 8 African wild dog occurred in the Sabie Sands GR.

Normally encounters like this are very fleeting, lasting just seconds, with the hyena running off quickly, but this situation was a little different, as the lone Hyena was trapped by the high bank and water with the wild dog flanking it on both sides.
The cackling/laughing sounds of the hyena coupled with the squalling squadron of wild dog was amazing.
At one stage the hyena viciously bit down on the neck of one wild dog and it let out a an almighty howl, the wild dog started to wear it down by continually biting his rear and it became a battle of attrition and "backs to the wall", eventually the hyena thought it was better taking his chances with the gaping jaws of a hippo and sat it out in the water.

Wild dog have an inherent fear of water if they know crocs are closeby, so they kept their distance and eventually got bored with it all and moved off to find other prey.

Techs:
Nikon D4s Nikkor 400 f/2.8E FL 1/1600s f/5.6 ISO640 to 720
Sabie Sands Game Reserve- South Africa.

What's most noticable about all of these images is the waving solid white tails from all the very excited wild dogs. wink.png

D4S_7999-L.jpg

D4S_7995-L.jpg

D4S_8008-L.jpg

D4S_8016-L.jpg

D4S_8014-L.jpg

D4S_8024-L.jpg

D4S_8025-L.jpg

This wild dog let out an almighty yelp as the jaws from the hyena clamp down on it's neck! ohmy.png

D4S_8028-L.jpg

D4S_8030-L.jpg

D4S_8037-L.jpg

I'd rather take my chances with a hippo.......thanks!

D4S_8045-L.jpg

D4S_8053-L.jpg

D4S_8055-L.jpg

I love the look from ALL concerned here, even the hippo turns to my camera as if to say "what was that all about??" laugh.png

D4S_8057-L.jpg

Cheers
Marc
WEBSITE
"My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am"
D5|D500
|D810|14-24|24-70|70-200f/2.8|70-200f/4|400 f/2.8E|500 f/4VR|Sigma150f/2.8|Sigma 24f/1.4ART

Comments

• FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2016
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2016
    What a great sequence! Dream stuff!! Bravo! I like the ending when everyone has your attention.....except the Hippo, which is still enjoying the show!
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited June 1, 2016
    Wonderful, Marc! I remember seeing these displayed over a whole bunch of sites late last year, but good of you to share them with us here too. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited June 1, 2016
    Great action sequence!

Not surprised the hyena backed down to the wild dogs pack, but I would have thought one of the dogs might have been seriously injured in the engagement too.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Tony BrittonTony Britton Registered Users Posts: 345 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2016
    Congratulations on this amazing sequence. This is as good as nature photography gets!

Tony
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2016
    This is better than watching a video of them. Absolutely awesome. Everyone quite gripping. The last one is funny! Like they are asking you -- "did you get all of it?"
  • SpenceSpence Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2016
    Great shots Marc and isn't it incredible to watch something like this in action. How far away were you? Also in the last shot - the hippo seems to be saying "I'm out of here".
    Spence
    http://spencerrice.smugmug.com
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2016
    bowdown.gif Wow.