Route 66 - Scenes and Scenery related to The Mother Road

pathfinderpathfinder Drive By Digital Shooterwestern IndianaPosts: 14,088Super Moderators moderator
edited June 11, 2016 in Other Cool Shots
This thread is intended to be an ongoing running thread with images submitted by everyone of scenes, signs and scenery found along or near the old Route 66, or the Will Rogers Highway, or "The Mother Road", from Chicago through Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico and Arizona, until it terminated in Santa Monica California on the beach. It was approximately 2448 miles of road trip USA. A bucket list item for lots of folks, American and world citizens, over the years. It still brings tourists to the Southwest.

Please post where the image was taken, or submit the image and challenge folks to figure out where the image was taken - your choice

I'll start with one from Winslow Az - Its a girl, my lord, in a flat bed Ford, slowing down to take a look at me!:thumb

Route%2066%20icons%20%20Big%20Red%20Ford%20-4029-XL.jpg
Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Comments

• travelwaystravelways Candid Grinner Ottawa, CanadaPosts: 7,851Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 5, 2016
    Great that you started this clap.gif

Very nice shot - I still have to see Winslow Az
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • travelwaystravelways Candid Grinner Ottawa, CanadaPosts: 7,851Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 5, 2016
    route66-vintage-sign-needles-california-XL.jpg
    Travelways.com
  • StumblebumStumblebum I shoot, therefore I am Posts: 6,872Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 5, 2016
    Thread is awesome already! Tatiana should start stock photography business or something!
  • moose135moose135 Major grins Long Island, NY, Charlotte, NC and points between...Posts: 1,265Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 5, 2016
    Restored Tower Conoco Station in Shamrock, Texas, used as a model for the Disney movie "Cars"

JM_2015_09_20_Road_Trip_Shamrock_Texas_001-XL.jpg
  • David_S85David_S85 Spotter of Dgrin Spam and Oddities ChicagolandPosts: 11,696Administrators moderator
    edited June 5, 2016
    Guess where?
    The first two photos were taken somewhere along Rte. 66. A hint is they were in Arizona. This is a difficulty level of ONE on a scale from one to ten. Where were they taken? There is no prize - just glow in the knowledge that you are a savvy follower of this thread and have started from the beginning. :D

i-x3bK4Hb-XL.jpg

i-b4HKbkm-X2.jpg

There is a hidden connection between the bird in the window above (shot 2), and the statue on the street. What is that connection? (Difficulty of THREE on a one to ten scale)

This third shot is also, obviously, from Rte. 66. A hint is it was taken in Missouri. In fact, I'd really like to know myself, in what town this was because I never wrote it down and want to add that town name to my gallery. 11doh.gif

i-nvsmDfp-X2.jpg

#4 has a difficulty of ONE. Not a lot was happening in Adrian when we rolled through. There is a pretty cool ruins of an old gas station across the street and down a block from this shot. Maybe I'll post some from that in another post.

i-CBLNmpw-X2.jpg
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • pathfinderpathfinder Drive By Digital Shooter western IndianaPosts: 14,088Super Moderators moderator
    edited June 6, 2016
    moose135 wrote: »
    Restored Tower Conoco Station in Shamrock, Texas, used as a model for the Disney movie "Cars"

JM_2015_09_20_Road_Trip_Shamrock_Texas_001-S.jpg

Wow, cool that you got this one at night with the neon lights - I have shot it several times, a couple even as panos, and all the wires that need cloning out always bug me. Nice capture of a cool scene!!

Shamrock Texas!! Did you kiss the Blarney stone while you were there?

• pathfinderpathfinder Drive By Digital Shooter western IndianaPosts: 14,088Super Moderators moderator
    edited June 6, 2016
    This sign I captured in one of the towns that David_S85 listed in his post above, BUT which town do you think it was found??

cowboy%20sign%20orang%20-0015-XL.jpg

• David_S85David_S85 Spotter of Dgrin Spam and Oddities ChicagolandPosts: 11,696Administrators moderator
    edited June 6, 2016
    I know, I know! But someone else should make the guess. I'll bet that's next to the "Crock of Gin" sign. mwink.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • StumblebumStumblebum I shoot, therefore I am Posts: 6,872Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 6, 2016
    Good infection to have!
  • CornflakeCornflake Major grins Posts: 2,007Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 6, 2016
    Here's one.

i-d8Dq4m7-XL.jpg
    edited June 6, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Thread is awesome already! Tatiana should start stock photography business or something!

Thank you Taz - I take this as a compliment :)

This beautiful mural was a very difficult one to get - It's part of an old ruined fast food place, surrounded by a fence which I had to climb to get inside :)

route66-burger-hut-sign-needles-california-L.jpg
    Travelways.com
    edited June 6, 2016
    David_S85 wrote: »

i-CBLNmpw-S.jpg

This is a great sign of the Route 66! clap.gif
    Travelways.com
    edited June 6, 2016
    Cornflake wrote: »
    Here's one.

i-d8Dq4m7-S.jpg

How nice is this!!! My husband and were in Flagstaff 2 days ago, going to the Grand Canyon and unfortunately I didn't have enough time to look for details and take photos....
    Travelways.com
    edited June 6, 2016
    More from Needles, California

welcome-to-needles-california-sign-XL.jpg

chevy%27s-sign-needles-california-XL.jpg

route66-garage-sign-needles-california-XL.jpg

route66-jerky-sign-needles-california-XL.jpg

route66-sign-needles-california-XL.jpg

route66-street-sign-needles-california-XL.jpg

route66-street-sign-needles-california-3-XL.jpg

route66-street-sign-needles-california-4-XL.jpg

route66-vintage-deco-sign-needles-california-XL.jpg

route66-mural-sign-needles-california-XL.jpg
    Travelways.com
  • kdogkdog artistically challenged San Jose, CAPosts: 11,082Administrators moderator
    edited June 6, 2016
    A couple of mdoel shots taken along Rt66 in Kingman, AZ.

IMG_2570-XL.jpg

Enhancing the famous Hilltop Motel sign on Rt66 with the same girl. naughty.gif
    IMG_2891-XL.jpg

IMG_2899-XL.jpg
    edited June 6, 2016
    kdog wrote: »
    A couple of mdoel shots taken along Rt66 in Kingman, AZ.

IMG_2570-S.jpg

clap.gif
    Travelways.com
    edited June 6, 2016
    Travelways.com
    edited June 6, 2016
    Kdog, I like your way of catching neon signs mo' betta!

• sarasphotossarasphotos Major grins Augsburg, GermanyPosts: 1,780Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 9, 2016
    I haven't traveled Route 66, but am enjoying this thread! Thanks all for sharing.
    edited June 9, 2016
    Brilliant presentations all! So good to see what one may never have a chance to see on their own! Cheers!
    edited June 10, 2016
    More from Needles, California on Route 66
    motel-sign-needles-california-XL.jpg

route66-garage-sign-needles-california-2-XL.jpg

route66-garage-mural-art-needles-california-4-XL.jpg

route66-old-motel-sign-needles-california-XL.jpg

sign-needles-california-XL.jpg

route66-sign-needles-california-2-XL.jpg

route66-sign-needles-california-3-XL.jpg
    Travelways.com
  • moose135moose135 Major grins Long Island, NY, Charlotte, NC and points between...Posts: 1,265Registered Users Major grins
    edited June 11, 2016
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Wow, cool that you got this one at night with the neon lights - I have shot it several times, a couple even as panos, and all the wires that need cloning out always bug me. Nice capture of a cool scene!!

Shamrock Texas!! Did you kiss the Blarney stone while you were there?
    Thanks! It was just luck - I happened to spend the night at a hotel down the block, and when I checked in, the lady at the desk told me about it, as they had a photo hanging in the lobby. And no, I didn't stop to kiss the Blarney stone.

JM_2015_09_20_Road_Trip_Shamrock_Texas_003-XL.jpg

A foggy morning in McLean, Texas.

JM_2015_09_21_Road_Trip_Rt66_Texas_Motel_001-XL.jpg

This thread needs a boost - more images of Rt 66 - hopefully nicely edited, non-phone shots....

Model T Oatman Az

Stop sign - Kingman Az

Burma Shave signs - Hackberry Az