Earthquake damage

toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
edited June 18, 2016 in Street and Documentary
I was in Kathmandu in 2013

There was a large earthquake after I was there. I wanted to see and shoot some of the damage

The damage was extensive...

DSC_0778-X3.jpg

DSC_0780-X3.jpg

DSC_1188-X3.jpg

DSC_1162-X3.jpg

Survivors temporary housing...

DSC_1219-X3.jpg

DSC_0618-X3.jpg

A freak shot of a tourist

DSC_0992-X3.jpg

It will be a long time before this is repaired. Most of the young men in Nepal work in Qatar and send money home.

This is one of the largest segments of the national GDP

Governments around the world have pledged funds but Nepal doesn't have a large national labor force to get it done

Most of the building material is local made brick

A UN agency is investigating the use of child labor to make the brick for whatever construction is going on

DSC_1032-X3.jpg

One of the things that stood out to me at construction sites, was the lack of electric motor noise for tools - all done by hand.... very slooooo
Rags

Comments

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2016
    So much damage and so slow to recover. Great documentation, Rags. #3 is a striking example of the damage.

And #7 - he did that to himself on purpose? I want to see him in about 30 or 40 years when everything sags!
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2016
    Very nice doc work Rags, on such a sad and tragic situation...
    This has happened numerous times in the past in this region, and I fear this scenario will likely repeat
    due to the inherent geologic instability in the mountains... tough problem.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2016
    Thanks Earache & Cavelier...

That dude didn't end on his head... his legs were covered with tats also... unbelieveable..

The geologic instability is ever present... but buildings are being seismically built with good sense;

the last pic shows steel cages at the corners, they then make reinforced concrete floors with brick "curtain" walls

A step in the right direction...
    Rags
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited June 10, 2016
    Good work, Rags. One gets the feeling that a lot of the bracing is more for show than effect--it looks pretty flimsy to me. We can only hope that they manage to get things repaired before the next one strikes.
    edited June 10, 2016
    Earache wrote: »
    Very nice doc work Rags, on such a sad and tragic situation...
    This has happened numerous times in the past in this region, and I fear this scenario will likely repeat
    due to the inherent geologic instability in the mountains... tough problem.
    Richard wrote: »
    Good work, Rags. One gets the feeling that a lot of the bracing is more for show than effect--it looks pretty flimsy to me. We can only hope that they manage to get things repaired before the next one strikes.

Yup

These tipping building fronts are all over the place

I suspect they'll get another quake before they repair these

A catastrophe in the making...
    Rags
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2016
    Good set Rags. #2 is striking, I'm not sure I would be sitting so confidently as the guy in the pic!
    edited June 12, 2016
    Juano wrote: »
    Good set Rags. #2 is striking, I'm not sure I would be sitting so confidently as the guy in the pic!

I saw plenty of examples of people conducting retail business thru some of the tilting bldgs... pretty scary...
    Rags
    edited June 18, 2016
    Just an addition...

The money to fix the damage has been donated by other countries

The politicians in the government can't agree on how to spend it and/or do it... for over a year...

DSC_0739-X3.jpg
    Rags