Options

Wall art

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
edited June 10, 2016 in Other Cool Shots
Shot in Lavapies, one of Madrid's most diverse neighborhoods.

160604_0020-XL.jpg

160604_0022-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,831 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2016
    Interesting shots, Richard. I prefer the balance of the 2nd shot, but the art is very cool in the first.

I'm curious - what is your day-to-day carry-around camera/lens?
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2016
    Interesting shots, Richard. I prefer the balance of the 2nd shot, but the art is very cool in the first.

I'm curious - what is your day-to-day carry-around camera/lens?
    Thanks, Sara. I only have one camera, a Canon 50D. Which lens I use kind of depends on where I'm planning to go. These shots were taken with a Canon 17-40 f/4L, which I usually use in narrow streets. When I'm visiting large, open plazas or very busy places, I like the Canon 70-200 f/4L. If I don't have any particular destination in mind, I'll probably use a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. Rarely, I'll carry two lenses if I'm planning on shooting an event, but I try to keep the weight down if I can.
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2016
    So for all of your interesting people shots you don't make any attempt to disguise the fact that you're photographing? Ever have a negative reaction?
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2016
    I try to be as inconspicuous as I can, but yes, I've had a few unpleasant experiences. I do most of my shooting in Madrid's historic center and there are usually so many tourists taking pictures that it's easy to go unnoticed. Perhaps the most surprising thing is that sniping with a long, white lens is actually very easy--by the time people notice you, you've moved on to other subjects, not them. Sometimes I shoot from the hip up close with a wide angle lens, but my keeper ratio goes way down that way, so I don't do it very often.
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2016
    Thanks - interesting info. I tend to be a bit shy about photographing strangers but I do appreciate the genre - it often provides such thought-provoking results.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,246 moderator
    edited June 9, 2016
    Very interesting Richard! I'm with Sara in preferring the second shot - I like that you caught someone apparently looking at the wall art.

--- Denise
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2016
    The light is so captivating and as is the art! Not sure what superlative to use, but I really enjoyed these! Cheers!!
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2016
    Thanks for commenting, Denise and Taz thumb.gif.