Options

Wandering in the alpine foothills

sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,831 Major grins
edited July 19, 2016 in Landscapes
A few weeks ago we had a freak day where the weather was lovely (it's been a rainy Spring, what can I say...) so instead of jumping on the bikes we decided to take a wander. The route was marked as "family-friendly" so I knew that I could probably cope with the 12km.

For the curious, here's a link to the area where we were wandering. We started and ended in the village of Eisenberg.

https://www.google.de/maps/place/87637+Eisenberg/@47.6104057,10.5787051,5946m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x479c60155d0660b1:0x41e48add78bf2e0!8m2!3d47.611993!4d10.6058693

1) about 15 minutes from our starting point my friend pulled over and demanded that I step out and take a photo - who was I to say no???

20160508_024_DMC-G5-X2.jpg

2) this scene was spotted about 10 minutes into the hike

20160508_037_DMC-G5-X2.jpg

3) there were lots of conveniently placed benches where one could stop and enjoy the view

20160508_050_DMC-G5-X2.jpg

4) if you check out the bell, you can see that it was ringing the hour. I found it interesting that all of the churches in the area had shingles on the weather-facing side.

20160508_054_DMC-G5-X2.jpg

5)wasn't quite sure what to think of this...
20160508_087_DMC-G5-X2.jpg

6) another bench with a view

20160508_099_DMC-G5-X2.jpg

7) this small graveyard (to the left) was for the plague victims of 1635

20160508_119_DMC-G5-X2.jpg

8) one last glimpse to the south

20160508_134_DMC-G5-X2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2016
    Some incredible comps and locations Sara!clap.gif
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2016
    Thanks, Taz - I always appreciate that you stop by!
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2016
    Beautiful scenery, nicely captured Sara! clap.gif
    I just had another wonderful armchair vacation!

Do you use Lightroom 5-6 Sara? There is a useful tool - Graduated Filter - that I often use in
    shots like this, to bring-down the sky a bit. I find that it balances the image, as well as cuts the haze and increases contrast as desired.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2016
    Hi Eric, thanks for stopping by to look and taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!

Yes, I'm a LR user since Version 1 but don't use the Graduated Filter very much - thanks for reminding me, I'll have to give it another try. Since LR CC I've taken to using dehaze, which also helps with the sky. But I am fairly conservative and usually only push it to 20.
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2016
    Lovely series!! You're whetting my appetite for my upcoming hike through the Swiss Alps.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,242 moderator
    edited June 9, 2016
    Lovely shots Sara!

I'd love to know the story behind 5), all I know is that it make me smile.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2016
    Mitchell and Denise, thanks for taking the time to comment!

@Mitchell: have fun on your trip to the Alps - I hope the weather cooperates.

@Denise: I too would love to know the back story to #5! ne_nau.gif It certainly does bring a smile to my face.
  • Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,034 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2016
    Sara this series is just wonderful. I love your composition talent. And it's really too bad that you don't have any photogenic areas where you live (said with tongue-in-cheek)!

Another option for the haze and sky may be the use of a Circular Polarizer Filter - I find that the filter can help in cutting through the haze and deepening the sky. Also, Topaz Lens Effects filter has a lot of options.
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2016
    Hi Jo, thanks so much for commenting and I blush at your compliment. Believe me, I count my blessings often that I'm able to live in such photogenic surroundings!

Since Eric mentioned it above I've gone back and played a bit with the gradual filter and am reminded that it really helps in certain situations.

For this particular lens (I was using the Panny 14-140, my go-to travel lens) I haven't gotten around to buying a pol filter - it would have been helpful on a day like this one. In the afternoon the clouds rolled in and when that happens I know I'm headed for trouble. My camera (Panasonic G5) just does not play nicely with clouds. Or perhaps I need to learn to shoot with different settings in these situations. I confess to being lazy and shooting with AV so that I can control the DOF. If I don't like the exposure that I see in the EV I stop down or up as needed.

Here's a re-worked version of the final shot where the sky in the original was very white. I played with the color balance a bit and used a gradual filter that took the exposure down (-,40) and the clarity and dehaze up 10.

Panasonic DMC-G5
    LUMIX G VARIO 14-140/F4.0-5.8
    ISO 200
    Focal Length 54.0 mm (108.0 mm in 35mm)
    Aperture f/11
    Exposure Time 1/250

20160508_134_DMC-G5-XL.jpg

I don't know that I can get much more from this one without it looking funny or overworked.

Thanks again for commenting!

--- Sara
  • Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,034 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2016
    Yes, it's better. I agree, sometimes if one tries too hard, the result is an overworked photo............I have a bunch of those!!!
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2016
    Thanks for the feedback, Jo!
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2016
    Gorgeous! Quite an array of scenery including the humorous cow. My favorites are the first and last; what I imagine when I think of this place.
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2016
    Thanks AnnaMaria! So glad you stopped by.

I had a lot of "pinch me, I'm so lucky I actually live near this beautiful place" moments that day!
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2016
    Very nice! And I like your restrained processing.
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2016
    Thanks Don, and I appreciate your comment about the processing.
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2016
    Very well done series, Sara. That looks to be the kind of territory I, too, would enjoy hiking. I've given up hiking the really challenging stuff.

I don't leave the house with a camera that doesn't have a circular polarizer on the lens. If it's not needed, there's no penalty to have it on but its usefulness is something I can't do without.

Stay safe,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2016
    Thanks for commenting Tom - I always appreciate it!

While I have sometimes used a circular polarizer, I find them tricky with my slow Panasonic zoom lenses (the one that I used on the day of the hike is 4-5.6). It has to be a REALLY bright day for me to be able to use one and not constantly shoot wide open - and those days are few and far between here (especially lately!!). I have a feeling you have more luck with the weather in Florida... :D
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2016
  • Options
    fool4thecityfool4thecity Registered Users Posts: 632 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2016
    Looks like an amazing place to go. Thanks for sharing, Sara.
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2016
    Nice series and would love to see this in person. I know for a fact my youngest daughter (Sarah) would love it as she is trying to learn German.
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2016
    FlyNavy, fool4thecity & Hikin' Mike thanks alls for stopping by and leaving a comment - always appreciated!

@Hikin' Mike - tell your daughter to keep working on her German - one never knows where Central Valley girls named Sara(h) will land. (I grew up in Turlock...)
  • Options
    Celtic SnapperCeltic Snapper Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2016
    Idyllic - wish I was there!!
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2016
    Idyllic - wish I was there!!

Like your Snowdonia, the scenery here is quite majestic. I always feel fortunate to live near enough to take advantage of it.
  • Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2016
    Gorgeous shots. I shouldn't complain about the Odenwald since I haven't even done much exploring in it yet, but I miss real mountains.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2016
    JC, glad you enjoyed the photos! While I'm sure the Odenwald is very nice (I've only driven by, never explored) there is no substitute for real mountains. But you know, the Alps are only a few hours away by train!
  • Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2016
    A very nice series of a beautiful location. Brings back great memories of 40 years past.
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2016
    roaddog, thanks for stopping by and commenting! Please say hello to the Pacific NW for me - I miss those views of Mt. Rainier.
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2016
    Back in 2001 before we started a family we took a 2nd honeymoon and did an Edelweiss Motorcycle tour starting in Munich and going through Austria, Switzerland, Lichtenstein, northern Italy, back to Munich. It was absolutely breathtaking. These pics brought me right back there, thanks.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2016
    Jack, so glad that I could help transport you back to those fond memories. Thanks for stopping by!
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited July 19, 2016
    Terrific travelogue of a spectacular region. Thanks for sharing these, Sara. thumb.gifthumb.gif