Options

Spring 2016 Wildlife in Yellowstone

AndrewWAndrewW Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
edited June 18, 2016 in Wildlife
I keep an ongoing gallery of the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem, which is usually Yellowstone and south to GTNP, Jackson Hole, and Teton Valley. With spring in the books (March through May), here are some highlights. Hope you enjoy!

Moose in GTNP, March 5

ATW04092-XL.jpg

Lamar Valley, April 16

ATW00680-XL.jpg

ATW00856-XL.jpg

Lamar Valley, April 30

ATW09935-Copy001-XL.jpg

Hayden Valley / Canyon Village, May 7

ATW02527-XL.jpg

ATW03548-XL.jpg

ATW05660-XL.jpg

Calcite Springs, May 28

ATW09338-XL.jpg

ATW09606-XL.jpg

Full gallery here: http://www.tetonmtnliving.com/GYE/Spring-2016/

Suggestions (processing and otherwise) welcome! :)
-- Andrew -- | Instagram | Photo Gallery

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2016
    OMG are you kidding me! Wolf vs. Grizzly! BRAVO!
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    OMG are you kidding me! Wolf vs. Grizzly! BRAVO!

Thanks! Ya, that was quite a day.
  • Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,034 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2016
    Those bear shots!! I agree with Taz - Grizzly vs Wolf is probably a once-in-a-lifetime catch. The last one of what looks like a cub in a tree - perfection!
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2016
    Cavalier wrote: »
    Those bear shots!! I agree with Taz - Grizzly vs Wolf is probably a once-in-a-lifetime catch. The last one of what looks like a cub in a tree - perfection!

Thanks, that ball of fluff in the last image is two bear cubs. Kind of hard to tell in that moment. :D

ATW09665-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2016
    I'm loving the bear cubs! I thought the first one was just one very plump cub, but now I see the difference.
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2016
    How far were you from Grizzlies when you took these....like the one when it is standing on its feet? What zoom lens? Thanks!
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2016
    Yes, I was about to ask the same question. I'm renting a 150-600mm Tamron for a coast trip in a couple of weeks and am anxious to test it out.
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    How far were you from Grizzlies when you took these....like the one when it is standing on its feet? What zoom lens? Thanks!

The one with the grizzly standing up was just across the river. He was up on a ridge, seemingly scouting for a place to cross. There was an elk carcass behind me and back a ways. I'm pretty sure he was closer than 100 yds at the time, but the ranger let us stay with the instructions to disperse if he made a move to cross. We also left about 100 yd gap in the people lining the river bank to make sure he had line of sight to the carcass at all times. He did eventually make it, only to be challenged by the wolf later.

Most if not all of those are 600mm on the 7D II and cropped in a bit.
    Cavalier wrote: »
    Yes, I was about to ask the same question. I'm renting a 150-600mm Tamron for a coast trip in a couple of weeks and am anxious to test it out.

Yup that's the one I use. One day I would like to use a 600m f/4, but for now, I love the versatility of this lens. Taking it out on day hikes are plausible if I know there is something to shoot on the trail.
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2016
    Thanks Andrew - that is so encouraging. Now I can't wait to use it!
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2016
    Great bear shots indeed clap.gifclapclap.gif
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited June 11, 2016
    Wow! Really terrific stuff here. How fortunate to live right out side of the parks and looks like you take full advantage of it. Keep 'em coming!!
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2016
    6 and 7 belong in a wildlife magazine or their brochures! You have some serious stuff
  • Options
    fool4thecityfool4thecity Registered Users Posts: 632 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2016
    Outstanding, inspiring images that make me want to get back out there. Would love to have 600mm when I do...
  • Options
    kscooperkscooper Registered Users Posts: 387 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2016
    Andrew -

Yellowstone is one of my favorite places on Earth. I've been there maybe 10 times in June or early July, camping / cabins etc. around Lake & Lamar valley, but haven't yet seen * a wolf facing off w/ a bear*! Wow, just wow - terrific work, because I imagine that your briliiant shots were not "random".

Eric

Eric

good gear; not enough time