Options

Echinocereus salmdyckianus

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
edited June 11, 2016 in Holy Macro
If there is one cactus species which is recognisable from the far side of a large greenhouse, it is this one, when in flower.

The colours, the shape of the tube and the green stigma are an unmistakable combination. This one has been in my collection for decades. Its age has given it a pale patina over the green stems.

The protruding stigma with the anthers far behind it use all the DOF available at f16 and most images were rejects. There are two crosseye stereos.

The tight 'fist' of the stigma opened up a little between two sessions on different days. I was hoping that, on a third day, I would find it with its 'fingers' fully extended, giving a series to upload. However, after observing several times each day, on the morning when I found this to be the case, the petals had wilted and the flowering was over.

EM-1, Kiron 105mm at f16, ISO 800, twin off-camera TTL flash. I used Aperture Priority for daylight shots and omitted to change to Manual for flash exposure, although the 1/250 was the preferred shutter speed.

Harold

1311137.jpg?ts=1465537962

1311149.jpg

1311150.jpg

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2016
    Simply fantastic!!clap.gif
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Simply fantastic!!clap.gif

Thanks, SB.

It was my cacti which got me started on macro. Their flowers come in many colours, according to species. This is a fairly average example.

I have just seen a massive "Orchid Cactus" with its hand-span flower open in our greenhouse.

Harold
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2016
    Wow...Orchid cactus...who knew.....anyone else and I would think they made that up!
  • Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2016
    Lovely captures Harold
    Brian v.
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Wow...Orchid cactus...who knew.....anyone else and I would think they made that up!

It's based on the fact that the species are epiphytes, growing up on the branches of tropical or subtropical trees. Most of them are are hybrids. As the genus Epipyllum was involved in hybridisation they used to be called "Epiphyllum hybrids" or simply "Epiphyllums". The prefered term is "Epicactus hybrid".

By the way, the grape-sized fruits are delicious, if you don't mind the hundreds ofs seeds. (Think "Prickly Pear")

Harold
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2016
    Lovely captures Harold
    Brian v.

Thanks, Brian.

Harold