Options

Birch Shieldbug with Parasite Eggs

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
edited June 12, 2016 in Holy Macro
I had just given up finding macro subjects, with light rain just starting, when I glanced down at a plant. I saw what looked like a rather small individual of the common Green Shield-bug. But it was very small (ca 10mm) and had reddish markings. It also had some white blobs on its thorax.

It was a Birch Shieldbug Elasmostethus interstinctus, carrying five eggs of a tachinid fly parasite. The parasite is likely to be a Phasia species.

Although I was aware that most insects have their parasites, I did not know of this relationship, or that the eggs would be placed so prominently, and I was slow to realise what the white objects were as I kept taking photographs.

It was fairly active, constantly walking around, often on the bottom of a leaf. Finally, it climbed up a very whippy grass stem, which moved around a great deal in the slight breeze, such that focusing was very tricky. Anyway, it gave me a nice ventral view.

The stereo is crosseye.

http://www.naturespot.org.uk/species/phasia-hemiptera

Olympus EM-1, Kiron 105mm at f16, twin RC TTL flash, hand-held.

Harold

1311960.jpg

1311961.jpg

1311962.jpg

1311963.jpg

1311964.jpg

1311965.jpg

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2016
    Unique catch!! Congrats!
  • Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2016
    Interesting find Harold- not seen that before
    Brian v.
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Unique catch!! Congrats!
    Interesting find Harold- not seen that before
    Brian v.

Thanks, Gents.

I have seen lots of shield-bugs, over many years but this is the first and what a first! :ivar

I may have equalled the record of five eggs, judging from a quick Google search.

It was one of the more active of the shield-bugs I have photographed. Maybe it had something on its mind. :D

The next task is to check back on the developing bug (genus?) eggs I have been photographing, most already black yesterday.

Harold
  • Options
    Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2016
    Super stuff Harold.

Paul.

Link to my personal website: http://www.pauliddon.co.uk

• Options
    edited June 12, 2016
    Paul Iddon wrote: »
    Super stuff Harold.

Paul.

Thanks, Paul.

At first glance I though the white blobs were pattern markings.eek7.gif

Harold
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2016
    Yeah, if Brian has not seen that before, its special......save it in a separate folder!:D
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Yeah, if Brian has not seen that before, its special......save it in a separate folder!:D

I have a few things Brian hasn't seen, reflecting the great variety and richness out there and my backround with the tiny wingless ones, mushrooms, etc. Likewise, Brian finds things I do not.

All my images, including RAW files, are backed up in two removable, external disk drives. Some older images may be revisited, now that I have Camera RAW with this version of Photoshop.

The better images are currently uploaded on three independent websites, leaving three chances of retrieval if I lose originals.

Harold