Options

Help! Camera slips when mounted vertical on tripod...

MalteseParrotMalteseParrot Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
edited January 18, 2006 in Accessories
:dunno HELP, please! I have a Canon 20D with a 24-70 lens. Not the biggest lens in the world, but has some heft to it. I screwed up and bought a SunPak tripod, one of the better pan head ones, but still... For one thing, the head wobbles on the center column even when every knob is completely tight; not good. Most frustrating. I shoot mostly portraits. Therefore the ability to shoot vertical is a must. (Yes, I know portraits can be landsape.) I specialize in tight head shots. This camera does a fast descend immediately when turned vertical on the tripod. It is the camera turning on the mounting plate that is happening. This is the mounting plate that came with the SunPak Tripod, of course. There's the problem.

Movement seems very limited with a pan-head, (SunPak admits this particular pan head is not really a "fluid pan head", rather that the literature only said "Fluid-Like"...nice, eh?). I have come to the conclusion that I should have gotten a ball-head for maximum manuverability; correct me if I'm wrong. :scratch But, even if/when I do get a ball head and the proper legs how do I solve the problem of the camera twrilling on the mounting piece? Or will that be solved when I purchase a better grade tripod head? Do all the heads come with mounting plates even if you purchase the ball head and legs separately? Additionally, does anyone have any counsel on what brand legs and ball head they would recommend. I did locate this one and it looks pretty nifty. The rep says it will hold 5.5 lbs in the vertical and 13 horizontal. Link: http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=23218&FEID=191&PMNID=838&srccode=cii_5784816&cpncode=08-5130965-2
(Bogen 322RC2 Grip action BAll Head)
It does appear a mounting plate comes with it, but what's to say IT won't let the camera slip? Surely somebody before me has had this problem and there's a solution. (Ever notice you can read and find out the equipment you probably want, but the equipment never comes with instructions on how to assemble and use it, with the exception of a camera itself.)

I got a 580 EX Flash and a bogen flip bracket for mounting it for Christmas. Not being able to shoot vertically negates the reason for wanting a flash and bracket in the first place. I do have studio lighting for sessions but I still will need to shoot vertically without a lot of hassel as I shoot lots of kids and pets.

Please help a blossoming portrait photographer...:cry
gap.gif
:rofl ~Trish B~

Comments

• Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2006
    I have the same ball grip and love it
    I use it all the time on the 20d,24-70L f/2.8 and same 322RC2 never slips
    I use it on 20d and 70-200L f/2.8 IS and it slips sometimes in the cold when shooting portrait.
    Also you could get one of these
    Vertaflip
    Custom Brackets

Fred
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2006
    Trish, all these problems will go away if you throw money at them. :D

Hate to say it, but it's true. A better tripod and a better head will give you the stability you crave. And the 24-70 is a pretty chunky lens, I'm not surprised that you're having problems.

If you anticipate using a tripod a lot, I'd strongly suggest getting the very best you can afford. It will last and it will repay you over and over.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend a grip ballhead. Many here will disagree with me, I know. But far more have a standard ballhead, which is easier to set. I myself use an Acratec ballhead. And I lust after the Really Right Stuff ballhead, having seen it in action.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2006
    I think waht you need is an L bracket. I am not sure who manufactures it but It will allow you to mount the camera ether horozontal or vertical without having to flip the ball head over on it's side. I think it might be made by The Right Stuff.

Sam
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2006
    Yes, they make one. I have it and it's good stuff. There are others out there.

But the biggest issue is a tripod and head that are too flimsy for the gear Trish is using.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Trish, all these problems will go away if you throw money at them. :D

Hate to say it, but it's true. A better tripod and a better head will give you the stability you crave. And the 24-70 is a pretty chunky lens, I'm not surprised that you're having problems.

If you anticipate using a tripod a lot, I'd strongly suggest getting the very best you can afford. It will last and it will repay you over and over.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend a grip ballhead. Many here will disagree with me, I know. But far more have a standard ballhead, which is easier to set. I myself use an Acratec ballhead. And I lust after the Really Right Stuff ballhead, having seen it in action.

nod.gif

Always start with a good foundation

Fred
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2006
    ne_nau.gifHELP, please! I have a Canon 20D with a 24-70 lens. Not the biggest lens in the world, but has some heft to it. I screwed up and bought a SunPak tripod, one of the better pan head ones, but still... For one thing, the head wobbles on the center column even when every knob is completely tight; not good. Most frustrating. I shoot mostly portraits. Therefore the ability to shoot vertical is a must. (Yes, I know portraits can be landsape.) I specialize in tight head shots. This camera does a fast descend immediately when turned vertical on the tripod. It is the camera turning on the mounting plate that is happening. This is the mounting plate that came with the SunPak Tripod, of course. There's the problem.

Movement seems very limited with a pan-head, (SunPak admits this particular pan head is not really a "fluid pan head", rather that the literature only said "Fluid-Like"...nice, eh?). I have come to the conclusion that I should have gotten a ball-head for maximum manuverability; correct me if I'm wrong. headscratch.gif But, even if/when I do get a ball head and the proper legs how do I solve the problem of the camera twrilling on the mounting piece? Or will that be solved when I purchase a better grade tripod head? Do all the heads come with mounting plates even if you purchase the ball head and legs separately? Additionally, does anyone have any counsel on what brand legs and ball head they would recommend. I did locate this one and it looks pretty nifty. The rep says it will hold 5.5 lbs in the vertical and 13 horizontal. Link: http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=23218&FEID=191&PMNID=838&srccode=cii_5784816&cpncode=08-5130965-2
    (Bogen 322RC2 Grip action BAll Head)
    It does appear a mounting plate comes with it, but what's to say IT won't let the camera slip? Surely somebody before me has had this problem and there's a solution. (Ever notice you can read and find out the equipment you probably want, but the equipment never comes with instructions on how to assemble and use it, with the exception of a camera itself.)

I got a 580 EX Flash and a bogen flip bracket for mounting it for Christmas. Not being able to shoot vertically negates the reason for wanting a flash and bracket in the first place. I do have studio lighting for sessions but I still will need to shoot vertically without a lot of hassel as I shoot lots of kids and pets.

Please help a blossoming portrait photographer...:cry
    gap.gif

I have not been a fan of Sunpak for sometime (aside from their Flash units which I truly like)

here are some shots of my Manfrotto/Bogen 322RC ..............

52092082-M.jpg
    52092086-M.jpg
    52092087-M.jpg
    52092090-M.jpg
    52092092-M.jpg
    52092096-M.jpg

As others stated the base is very important...I really like this Giottos M9180...(from philly photo on ebay including shipping was $164, I did a buy now,so may have paid a little more than if I had played the auction)...

The bracket is a Stroboframe R4B, flash-vivatar285, camera - nikon F70, Lens- Sigma 28 - 200.

Hope this helps your decision.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2006
    I have the sunpack as well. I bought it after I bought my first digital camera, due to cash flow problems. (all my cash had flown into Fuji's pockets.)

It's not a bad tripod, for $30. But I have the same problem with vertical shots as well, and it is the quick release plate, not the tripod. I had thought it might just be a bad plate, but if you have the same problem, then its obviously endemic. Like the man said, you will likely have to throw money at the problem.

I am thinking about buying a used tripod at my local store. Does anyone know how Davis and Sanford quality is?
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2006
    Justiceiro wrote:
    I have the sunpack as well. I bought it after I bought my first digital camera, due to cash flow problems. (all my cash had flown into Fuji's pockets.)

It's not a bad tripod, for $30. But I have the same problem with vertical shots as well, and it is the quick release plate, not the tripod. I had thought it might just be a bad plate, but if you have the same problem, then its obviously endemic. Like the man said, you will likely have to throw money at the problem.

I am thinking about buying a used tripod at my local store. Does anyone know how Davis and Sanford quality is?

The few S/D pods I have seen were fantastic..but higher priced than some of the newer ones and heavy....if you can change your head..do it if you like ths Sunpak....a new head can work wonders.....sometimes.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited January 13, 2006
    I think the sunpack is way too light, and changing the head is out of the question. Even if I could, it seems that the wind really pushes it around too much, and when I shoot my MF camera on it, it just can't take the recoil of that 2 lb. mirror!

Anyway, the S&D is on sale at my local camera stor for $100, used. I am very tempted.
  • Options
    DaniDani Registered Users Posts: 807 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2006
    I agree that a better tripod and ballhead are needed!! It need not be expensive though.

the Bogen/Manfrotto legs are very good for the money.
    such as these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=353244&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=353246&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=353322&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

then go here>> http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/clamps/index.html

and use the clamp selector pop-up and find your ballhead to see the recomended clamps you can use (fyi you cannot get a replacement clamp for the grip action... only certain manfrotto heads.... if you go this route.. check the list first to make sure your ballhead is compatible)

Pick a clamp, then go to the body plate page http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/body_plates/canon/index.html

and get an L-plate

you'll have no regrets!!

I just sold my old tripod and 3-way pan head and got a gitzo 1257, really right stuff bh-40 ballhead and an L-plate and its absolutley one of the best buys I've made yet

heres photos of the L plate in action

landscape mode

DSC06282-vi.jpg

portrait mode

DSC06283-vi.jpg

no flopping the head on its side or having to deal with the plate twisting... I just release the clamp, rotate the camera on its side and reclamp!
    Dani

20D | 300D-IR | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 18-55 | 50 f/1.8 II | 70-200 f/4L | 17-40L | Lensbaby 2.0 | 250D | 550ex | Gitzo 1257 | RRS BH-40 | RRS L-plates

The Blog | The Photos
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2006
    Justiceiro wrote:
    I think the sunpack is way too light, and changing the head is out of the question. Even if I could, it seems that the wind really pushes it around too much, and when I shoot my MF camera on it, it just can't take the recoil of that 2 lb. mirror!

Anyway, the S&D is on sale at my local camera stor for $100, used. I am very tempted.

For few dollars more you can have the one in my pics...I really like the foam covered legs also...but I shoot out doors in very cold weather also....my whole tripod and ball was around $250 total....Tripod came off Ebay - Philly Photo Shop ( I beleive I gave link to them) and at them time no one had the 322RC on Ebay so I went to BH and paid a higher price...at time I purchased mine it was $150..now they are down to $104 at a lot of retailers upto $130......

BH is very good...but also very high....there are very reputable companies on EBAy Philly, CAmeta and others.....

The name of the game for me is too save as much money as possible and still get the best quality I can.

You can get extra plates and bases for the 322RC2 from bogen they range in price from $10 to 35 depending on waht you need.

As I just custmized a monopod to have a bogen quick release base so I can change from tripod to mono and also I am adding a QR base to an adorama macro focusing rail so the camera can be quickly attached and removed.

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited January 16, 2006
    Nothing wrong with a fluid head. All the fluid does is dampen head movement
    for panning. But it is more suited for video work.

As far as the tripod goes, avoid using the column if you can. No good will
    come from it--except shake. And like Waxy says, a good tripod will last you
    a long time. Dani's got a sweet setup. And a good value too.

Incidentally, ArtScott, that last shot of yours showing the adapter plate isn't
    meant to be screwed into the camera body. It's a screw meant to line up
    the plate up with the front of the lens on a video camera. If you do use it
    on a camera body, do be careful not to damage the camera's base plate.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    DaniDani Registered Users Posts: 807 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2006
    15524779-Ti.gif

I've even gotten rid of my center column... it was the first thing I did! Replaced it with a Kirk baseplate. Its more solid now... and slightly shorter... so I don't have to stand on my tiptoes to see through the viewfinder when the legs are all the way extended :uhoh

lol3.gif
    ian408 wrote:

As far as the tripod goes, avoid using the column if you can. No good will
    come from it--except shake. And like Waxy says, a good tripod will last you
    a long time. Dani's got a sweet setup. And a good value too.

Ian
    Dani

20D | 300D-IR | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 18-55 | 50 f/1.8 II | 70-200 f/4L | 17-40L | Lensbaby 2.0 | 250D | 550ex | Gitzo 1257 | RRS BH-40 | RRS L-plates

The Blog | The Photos
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2006
    Dani wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

I've even gotten rid of my center column... it was the first thing I did! Replaced it with a Kirk baseplate. Its more solid now... and slightly shorter... so I don't have to stand on my tiptoes to see through the viewfinder when the legs are all the way extended :uhoh

lol3.gif

I have exactly the opposite problem, I have to scrunch over to see through the viewfinder without using the column.

Thanks for the offer Art, but I already told the guy at my camera shop to hold the D&S for me, so I'm pretty much committed right now.
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2006
    Justiceiro wrote:
    I have exactly the opposite problem, I have to scrunch over to see through the viewfinder without using the column.

Thanks for the offer Art, but I already told the guy at my camera shop to hold the D&S for me, so I'm pretty much committed right now.

183200.jpg

It helps :D

Fred
  • Options
    MalteseParrotMalteseParrot Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2006
    Thanks to everyone for your input. I'm busy checking out your suggestions. That Really Right Stuff site is wonderful!
    thumb.gif
    :rofl ~Trish B~