Options

Scorpionfly Male(s): Panorpa germanica?

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
edited June 20, 2016 in Holy Macro
After posting images of the male with its rich yellow colouring, setting off the black markings, I was surprised to find another, on the very next morning, on the same blackcurrant bushes. It seemed smaller than the one of the previous day but that may have been an illusion.

I took three shots before it flew away. On reviewing the images in the camera, I was horrified to see that I had apparently over-exposed so severely that the yellow colour was now white. The stereo pair did not look like they would work either.

When I transferred the image to my PC I found that there was some overexposure but that this individual had white where the other was yellow. The stereo pair was functional too. These give the first two images here and the crosseye stereo.

On the third day I again found a male with white ground colour. Again, I had only a few seconds to shoot. The image is slightly soft but the structure of the male genitalia (last image), if I understand correctly, indicates that it is P.germanica. I noted that they were photographed with a FOV ca 25mm wide, making the length of the insect (from the uncropped RAW image) around 11mm, which is towards the small end of the 10-15mm range. These are the third and fourth images.

EM-1, Kiron 105m, f16 ISO 800, twin RC TTL flash, hand-held.

My suspicions that these insects, possibly to species, are resident in my garden seem to be confirmed.

Harold

1315402.jpg?ts=1466401410

1315403.jpg?ts=1466401410

1315404.jpg?ts=1466401410

1315405.jpg?ts=1466401410