Options

Remote control handle tripod for Canon 70D

SweeperSweeper Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
edited June 21, 2016 in Accessories
Would anyone know where I can buy a tripod with a remote control handle which would work well with a Canon D70 ?? They seem hard to find.

Thanks...
...Steve
Tax Me !!
I'm Canadian, eh.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,810 moderator
    edited June 20, 2016
    Canon dSLRs don't have a LANC/Control-L port, so many functions are not available through remote control. About the best you can hope for is the basic Canon Remote Switch RS60 E3 which works pretty well for remote AF control (duplicating the half-shutter-button) and full depress shutter release function. (I don't think this remote works for video start and stop, however.)

There are more elaborate USB controls available, but many folks have issues running from occasional camera hickups and slow startup to lockups and even the occasional camera "bricking", where the camera ceases to function until after both camera and remote batteries are removed.

For mechanical remote, but not automated, lens control, there are dSLR rigs with focus-puller type controls and relatively smooth zoom control as well. Pretty bulky but it works fairly well for "indy" (independent) video production and "Hollywood" style shooting.

There are also very expensive semi-automated units but never seen one up close and demonstrated live.

Of course, the Canon 70D has pretty good LCD touch-screen control built-in for focus selection, so that's easy to implement if you have correct lenses (STM).
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    SweeperSweeper Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited June 21, 2016
    I pretty much knew the answer before posting but glad to hear it from you regardless. I suspect there is little demand for such an item. I attended a seminar not long ago and saw the operator use the handle for all functions and was impressed. I did not manage to see the make of the camera but suspect that it may have been a Sony which does have such a tripod available. Thanks for your quick reply !!

...Steve
    Tax Me !!
    I'm Canadian, eh.