Cannon 430EX problem with new lens

Bud1880Bud1880 Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
edited July 11, 2016 in Accessories
Just bought a Canon 24-70 f/2.8 II and when attaching my 430EX flash the shots are all blown out completely. I can put my old 18-55mm kit lens back on and the pics are fine. What am I missing here?

Bud

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited June 24, 2016
    A couple of things to try,

You don't mention which body but if it's a Canon body with a DOF preview button, try that button with the offending lens attached and choosing a small aperture. If the button does make the viewfinder go darker then you either have a bad electrical connection from body to lens, or a defective lens. (The aperture should stop down when pressing the DOF button.)

If the lens does not stop down in the above test, remove the lens and clean the contacts on the back of the lens with a fresh pink pencil eraser. Then re-attach the lens and test again.

Please let us know the results of these actions.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Bud1880Bud1880 Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2016
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    A couple of things to try,

You don't mention which body but if it's a Canon body with a DOF preview button, try that button with the offending lens attached and choosing a small aperture. If the button does make the viewfinder go darker then you either have a bad electrical connection from body to lens, or a defective lens. (The aperture should stop down when pressing the DOF button.)

If the lens does not stop down in the above test, remove the lens and clean the contacts on the back of the lens with a fresh pink pencil eraser. Then re-attach the lens and test again.

Please let us know the results of these actions.

Sorry, I did not mention body. Canon 60D.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited June 24, 2016
    Bud1880 wrote: »
    Sorry, I did not mention body. Canon 60D.

Great, I believe that body has the DOF button on the lens mount base, close to the grip side.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited June 26, 2016
    Try putting your flash in HSS (high speed sync) mode. It's that button with the little lightning-bolt and H located next to your zoom button. Make sure you see the little lightning-bolt/H icon on the display.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2016
    First and more important question: what mode are you using the flash in? Manual/ttl? And what exposure mode are you using ie manual, Av Sv etc? What aperture and shutter speed settings? The kit lens only opens up to 3.5, so depending on how you're setting aperture (ie manually controlling it or not), the maximum of 2.8 may be adjusting the light reaching the sensor...