Landscape photography on a budget

Tmet5Tmet5 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited July 4, 2016 in Cameras
So I am in search of a cheap but effective DSLR set up. I use to do quite a bit of photography ranging from weddings, to travel, music, etc. But with school expesnes I was forced to sell my gear. At the time I had been shooting a Nikon D3s with a 70-200 2.8 and a 24-70.

With that being said I was trying to figure out which camera body and glass combination would do well for just doing landscape/travel (I do a lot of backpacking).

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! (As far as my price range I don't have one, just something cheap without lacking too much quality).

PS. I still have a solid tripod
PPS. not sure if my style of photography would help at all but my Flickr is Flickr.com/tylermetroff

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited June 30, 2016
    Hi Tyler, I like your flickr stream! Considering your penchant for light/compact/cheap, have you considered going mirrorless? Some of the top pros on this site have gravitated towards the Sony mirrorless cams for a lightweight kit, like this one. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1205075-REG/sony_alpha_a6000_mirrorless_digital.html
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2016
    I started to come up with ideas but there are too many options, so what zoom range do you primarily shoot in? With that it'll be a lot easier to figure out what possible directions to go in.

Also I wouldn't rule out a fixed lens point and shoot, my Canon G1X has some quirks to it but I can take it anywhere VS my DSLR's which I have to toss in a backpack and I've been really happy with the image quality. Though for a dedicated landscape camera I'd look at one of the other options out there like Nikon, Sony, or Panasonic models for better dynamic range.

Micro 4/3 might be something to look into as well since the Olympus 9-18 is tiny.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited June 30, 2016
    I really enjoy the Sony a6000 plus the two standard/kit lenses*, and adding the Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS E-mount Prime plus a close-focus diopter** can make a very competent and lightweight kit good for most everything except action and sports in low light/indoors.

Add a simple used auto/thyrister flash for a few more photographic applications. (I use the Sunpak Auto 383 Super hot‑shoe flash, for instance.)

Since the a6300 came out, good used a6000 bodies are pretty easy to find at very reasonable prices, likewise the lenses.

*(Sony E PZ 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OSS E-mount (Power Zoom) and Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS E-mount Tele-Zoom)

(I highly recommend a 2-element diopter, close-focus attachment/accessory lens. Generally a +2 diopter/500mm [300-500mm will do] in 49mm threads should work well with the 55-210mm kit zoom.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Sherman71Sherman71 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited June 30, 2016
    Manual Focus AIS Lenses and a Nikon D300
    https://alanshermangraffsphotos.smugmug.com/The-Sky/n-mKvT5D/i-FV83gj5/A[/URL]

If you can use manual focus lenses you can do very well on a budget. The linked photo was taken with a Nikon D300 ($200 from Used Photo Pro) and a Nikkor 80-200 F/4 AIS (sells for around $50 and in the 90's sold for close to $900). For landscape the Nikkor 35-70 f/3.5 roughly the same quality and price.

The second photo was taken with a Nikon 35mm 1.8 G series which sells for under $200.

About six months ago my Nikon D60 died and in its place I purchased a used D300 at a cost of $200.

About your camera needs are you blowing up huge photos? I am very happy with my D300 and I am considering a D700 (the full frame equivalent) which goes for about $700.
  • Tmet5Tmet5 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited July 1, 2016
    kdog wrote: »
    Hi Tyler, I like your flickr stream! Considering your penchant for light/compact/cheap, have you considered going mirrorless? Some of the top pros on this site have gravitated towards the Sony mirrorless cams for a lightweight kit, like this one. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1205075-REG/sony_alpha_a6000_mirrorless_digital.html

Thank you! I appreciate that

After looking into that camera I'm pretty impressed! It seems everyone else in this thread would agree with you. I'm surprised I haven't heard of this camera before today.
    edited July 1, 2016
    Sherman71 wrote: »
    https://alanshermangraffsphotos.smugmug.com/The-Sky/n-mKvT5D/i-FV83gj5/A[/URL]

If you can use manual focus lenses you can do very well on a budget. The linked photo was taken with a Nikon D300 ($200 from Used Photo Pro) and a Nikkor 80-200 F/4 AIS (sells for around $50 and in the 90's sold for close to $900). For landscape the Nikkor 35-70 f/3.5 roughly the same quality and price.

The second photo was taken with a Nikon 35mm 1.8 G series which sells for under $200.

About six months ago my Nikon D60 died and in its place I purchased a used D300 at a cost of $200.

About your camera needs are you blowing up huge photos? I am very happy with my D300 and I am considering a D700 (the full frame equivalent) which goes for about $700.

This is really good information, I'll have to look into this. Thank you!
    And when I was doing freelance work there were a few occasions where I had large prints. But not often.
    edited July 1, 2016
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I really enjoy the Sony a6000 plus the two standard/kit lenses*, and adding the Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS E-mount Prime plus a close-focus diopter** can make a very competent and lightweight kit good for most everything except action and sports in low light/indoors.

Add a simple used auto/thyrister flash for a few more photographic applications. (I use the Sunpak Auto 383 Super hot‑shoe flash, for instance.)

Since the a6300 came out, good used a6000 bodies are pretty easy to find at very reasonable prices, likewise the lenses.

*(Sony E PZ 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OSS E-mount (Power Zoom) and Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS E-mount Tele-Zoom)

(I highly recommend a 2-element diopter, close-focus attachment/accessory lens. Generally a +2 diopter/500mm [300-500mm will do] in 49mm threads should work well with the 55-210mm kit zoom.)

Thank you for this post, I will have to look into this more! Especially since I hadn't heard about this camera until after today. Everything I'm reading about it so far seems to be really positive.
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2016
    Tmet5 wrote: »
    Thank you for this post, I will have to look into this more! Especially since I hadn't heard about this camera until after today. Everything I'm reading about it so far seems to be really positive.

The future is mirrorless, no doubt about it. There are still some weak spots with it currently (as ziggy pointed out), but no one system is perfect for everything.

Reviews will only tell you so much, my suggestion would be to rent one for a week/weekend and see if it works for you.
    Steve

Website
  • Tom FosterTom Foster Registered Users Posts: 289 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2016
    I know you said you don't really have a price range but at the same time you've said "on a budget", which is it? :D A rough price range of what you can (or want to) afford would be helpful to at least narrow things down!