Options

Trailhead Wildfire - too close for comfort

CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,034 Major grins
edited July 2, 2016 in Other Cool Shots
Not sure where to post this - please move if it is in the wrong thread.
I thought I'd put up a few pictures of the Trailhead Wildfire that is burning in very steep, rugged terrain very near to us in Foresthill, Ca. It started on the bank of the Middle Fork of the American River and is sweeping up both sides of the canyon - it jumped the river soon after it started.
Foresthill is at the top of one side of the canyon, Volcanoville and Georgetown are on the other side. For those of you unfamiliar with California, we are in the Sierra Nevada Range foothills about 1 hour outside of Sacramento - at about 2500 feet. We are in what is called the Divide - Foresthill sits atop a divide in the American River between the North Fork and Middle Fork. The River is probably about 1500 -2000 feet or so below us on either side.
Rumor has it that the only possible way this could have started is from one of the daily Rafting expeditions that run down the middle fork. It is so remote that it is almost impossible to fight the fire by hand - they are relying heavily on air support to battle this one. There are now 2,000 personnel on the fire.
Of course, then some idiot decides to fly his or her drone numerous times to get some "neat" shots and halts all air traffic over the fire causing missed opportunities for the air tankers to get in and drop the retardant. It's dangerous enough without having to worry about hitting a drone. But then I rant.....sorry about that! Here are some of the images from the other day:

1 - 9:30 am Wednesday looking into the canyon (telephoto - focal length 213)
IMG_6946%20Tadj-X2.jpg

2 - Another shot of the canyon with two of our Cal Fire heroes checking the view before heading out on shift.
IMG_6958%20Tadj-X2.jpg

3 - The engines were arriving at Base Camp from all over Northern California to aid in the fight.
IMG_7003%20Tadj-X2.jpg

4 - Rigs bringing in bulldozers to create the fire lines were also lined-up. As it turns out these guys are a huge part of the fight - they are dozing lines at night down through the canyon - hairy stuff.
IMG_7044%20NIK%20hdr%20cropped-X2.jpg

5 - A little levity at Base Camp - Cal Fire support staff needing some recognition.
IMG_7023%20Tadj%20cropped-X2.jpg

6 - Base Camp mess tent - this was Wednesday - but by now (Friday) the total number of personnel has reached 2000 - so Base Camp is a bit crowded.

IMG_7022%20Tadj-X2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,245 moderator
    edited July 1, 2016
    This is so frightening!

Thanks for sharing the story and photos Jo, I'm in awe at the people with the skills and the guts to fight fires like this. I hope it can be contained soon.

--- Denise
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2016
    It's a wicked fire. We were supposed to be doing a photoshoot in Volcanoville this weekend, which is now a no go.

I love that 5th shot. You're right, the support staff definitely needs some love and some recognition for all they do.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2016
    Great shots! Speaking from experience, all involved in wildfire suppression have a tough job. From logistics to the front line, everyone has his/her job to perform. We have had 2 fires already this year, and had the "Drone issue" also. Best of luck to your community.

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2016
    The second shot makes the point! Stay safe out there!
  • Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,831 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2016
    Thanks for sharing the shots, Jo. I hope you and yours stay out of harm's way!

Now that my sister lives in Nevada City, I follow the California wildfires even more closely.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,829 moderator
    edited July 2, 2016
    Hoping for your safety, Jo, and for those around you.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,034 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2016
    Thanks for all your kind comments of support.

Steve - Hopefully Volcanoville will survive untouched by this monster and your photo-shoot can be rescheduled! Close to the entire Volcanoville community is currently evacuated. I think they are at the most risk right now.
    Sara - Nevada City is a beautiful town and area. Hopefully, no fires crop up there!

Three years ago we had another wildfire in the area (makes you wonder why we live in the mountains?!) called the American Fire. I was able to go into the Base Camp to document what a Base Camp City looks like from the perspective of the support personnel. They essentially erect a town in support of firefighting personnel complete with laundry services, shower facilities, kitchen(s) servicing the base camp and all spike camps (outlying camps located within the fire zone), warehouse, sleeping quarters, huge dining tent, medical trailer and services, potable and grey water systems, chain saw servicing, and a system to wash engines including their under-carriages as they head out for their next shift. If anyone is interest there are a few galleries of (so-so) shots of the American fire support at https://jowest.smugmug.com/American-Wildfire/American-Wildfire-August-2012