Options

Camera-Shy Photo-Bomber Amblyteles

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
edited July 4, 2016 in Holy Macro
Amblyteles armortus is a large, slender, deep yellow and black ichneumonid wasp, frequently seen in the UK at this time of the year. It flies quite rapidly, at about knee height, and rarely settles on vegetation and when it does it is only for a few seconds. It is rare for it to settle high on foliage, where a photo is easy, usually climbing downwards to where its caterpillar hosts may be found. Any approach tends to put it to flight.

The females lack any external ovipositor and the sexes are similarly patterned. The female is "more oval" than the male. The wasp, excluding antennae, is about 10mm long.

Recently, I have been photographing insects on green leaves under overcast skies. This was the first day that insects were visiting a white umbellifer in bright sunlight. I had just started to photograph insects, such as hoverflies, visiting it and was struggling to frame and focus the very bright, contrast viewfinder images. Suddenly, the frame was full of large, slender, yellow and black wasp. I struggled to focus, and maybe to focus back a little for a larger frame. I got one shot them it was gone. Had it stayed, I would have moved around to the right, to make better use of the DOF at f16.

EM-1 (manual mode), Kiron 105, f16, twin flash, hand-held.

Harold

1321305.jpg?ts=1467611480

Comments