Options

Automatic print lab selection at checkout

ShinryaShinrya Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
edited July 12, 2016 in SmugMug Feature Requests
I would like to propose that Smugmug look into creating the option of having an automatic print lab selected, based on the geographic location of the customer input at the checkout stage.

I'm sure many of us are offering prints and our customer base can be worldwide. As the shipping fee's outside the USA can often be very off-putting for customers (actually I would argue it's a deal breaker!), it would make sense for say a European customer to be able to have their print made and shipped locally.

Why can't there be an option for us to create a price list for our preferable lab (e.g. BayPhoto), and then have something as simple as a tickbox, granting Smugmug permission to switch to a different lab with an exchange rate in place, in the event that a customer in the checkout stage happens to live in a location closer to an alternate lab (i.e. LoxleyColour in UK & Europe). I'm sure this would be determined either by customers IP address or the country they input in the checkout stage.

Everytime I get an e-mail from a customer saying they were about to checkout but then cancelled due to ridiculous shipping fee's, the only option is for me is to try and complete the sale outside of Smugmug, or log in and manually switch over to a different lab and create a new price list.

I urge Smugmug to try and act on this. There must be hundreds of power users using Smugmug to try and sell prints to a global market. The shipping fee's are absolutely killing us in a market where print sales are already virtually nill!