Rainbow Air

ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
edited January 16, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
I was trying for this sort of. Actually I was going for some nice rays and muffed that ended up with this and thought with a bit of PP help it might just be interesting. What do you think?

52123278-L.jpg

Comments

• Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2006
    those are interesting rays,
    a couple little things that stuck out to me were that the sky is overexposed enough that it seems there is some purple fringing around many branches, which may be tough to fix. On the left side of the rays there seems like a reflection of 'someone', maybe it's just some round reflections, but it even badly distorted one of your trees. There is also a round one to the right of the rays too. i believe those detract from those strong angled lines of your rays. Again, that may be tough to fix also. If it's the idea you're looking for an opinion on, I can definitely see where you're coming from. Without air we wouldn't see rays!
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • vandanavandana Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2006
    I agree with Tessa..the rays itself is a good idea for the challenge, but the background is quite boring, not sharp, overexposed - could you do this again? I hope ! I unfortunately am not smart enuf at this to tell what to do differently tho :( - i don't know if some filter will help with the sortof brash lighting on the trees
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2006
    Thanks Tessa and Vandana.

You are right there is quite a bit wrong with that shot that probably isn't fixable. Could I do it again? Probably not since I'm not quite sure how it happened in the first place (except it is pretty over exposed):D I liked the colors so gave it a try. Yea the PF around the trees is nasty.
  • vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2006
    Thusie wrote:
    Thanks Tessa and Vandana.

You are right there is quite a bit wrong with that shot that probably isn't fixable. Could I do it again? Probably not since I'm not quite sure how it happened in the first place (except it is pretty over exposed):D I liked the colors so gave it a try. Yea the PF around the trees is nasty.

Don't know if you are using a polarising filter. Would that make any difference to how the sky holds? - looks questionly at the pros headscratch.gif.

Maybe a lower angle to give some dynamics to the actual picture or something that the rays are highlighting or picking out to give a focus.

Nicola
    Iconic Creative
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative
    http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
    Raghu Rai
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2006
    This image gave me a chance to try out Dan Margulis' rainbow enhancement technique from Chapter 12 of his book Photoshop LAB Color...

52612047-L.jpg

Pathfinder is supposed to post a chapter summary soon for Chapter 12, but in the meantime, here is what I did:
    1. Concert to LAB
    2. New curves adjustment layer
    3. Steepen A&B curves by 40%, i.e., move each of the 4 endpoints toward the middle by 40% (see this thread.)
    4. Select the layer mask from the curves adjustment layer; Edit->Fill and fill with black. Now you won't see the bright colors.
    5. With a big soft brush set to low opacity, paint white on the layer mask over the rainbow to reveal the enhanced color differentiation.
    6. Fine tune with smaller black and white brushes.
    If not now, when?
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2006
    Now that is POP Ruttthumb.gif

Off to try and duplicate what you did, thanks.