Options

Bad Photo of Moon Over Gray Peak

Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,450 Major grins
edited September 1, 2016 in Landscapes
Drove up to Yosemite yesterday afternoon just to photograph the moon over Gray Peak as it rose. Unfortunately I forgot to turn my 300mm 'IS' off. :cry

Thankfully as the moon rose I had to switch to a different lens and all was well.

yosemite-081616-01-web.jpg

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2016
    If by "bad" you mean awesome, then I agree!thumb.gifD
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    If by "bad" you mean awesome, then I agree!thumb.gifD

It looks okay at this size, but zooming in you can see it's not sharp due to the IS being on and on a tripod.
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2016
    I recently had whole shoot ruined with zoom lens.....but it was extremely windy and low light......probably need to weight the tripod down and maintain high shutter.....
    Cheers Mike!
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    I recently had whole shoot ruined with zoom lens.....but it was extremely windy and low light......probably need to weight the tripod down and maintain high shutter.....
    Cheers Mike!

That sucks.

I did some checking on my lens. The switch shows a '|' and 'O'....it was set for 'O' which was OFF. It wasn't windy and I do use a remote shutter, but the EXIF said 1/80. That may have been it. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited August 18, 2016
    Extenders don't help, Mike. I believe you may have some atmospheric distortion there due to heat waves as well. Your tripod would have to be rock-solid at that focal length/shutterspeed too. I've had many telephoto landscapes that come out like this. Very difficult to do what you were attempting here.

All that being said, add some contrast and juicing up the color on that shot and I'll bet it looks great. nod.gif
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2016
    kdog wrote: »
    Extenders don't help, Mike. I believe you may have some atmospheric distortion there due to heat waves as well. Your tripod would have to be rock-solid at that focal length/shutterspeed too. I've had many telephoto landscapes that come out like this. Very difficult to do what you were attempting here.

All that being said, add some contrast and juicing up the color on that shot and I'll bet it looks great. nod.gif

So you think it's more of a atmospheric distortion with the bigger lens? ne_nau.gif

I'm thinking about going back up next month. Next time I'll weight the tripod and make sure the shutter speed is faster.
  • Options
    Celtic SnapperCeltic Snapper Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2016
    There's usually sufficient wind on these mountains that the camera is in a state of continuous 'micro' vibration, and you get away with forgetting to switch the IS off. Sometimes, long lenses, bit of light refraction, filters and flare, heat haze and UV light, or less than favourable shutter, aperture and focus point, and the shots ever so slightly 'soft'.
    Having said that, I've religiously catered for all the afore mentioned before, and still come away with a less than sharp shot!
    I usually blame the lense or camera at this point!