Soft baby portrait

T4TotsT4Tots Registered Users Posts: 198 Major grins
edited January 16, 2006 in People
I worked on this one yesterday and today...and I think I like the results for this one. I am going to do a large copy for my studio, so if you see anything I can change let me know before I print it LOL

Here's my work today:

52027396-L.jpg
Tina Folsom :lust
Photographer and Mom of Four!

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2006
    That is a magnificent photo tina & if i had to critique it i would say the range between the in focus & out of focus is too great for my eye.

Hope you get what i mean....like maybe less soft focus.

Gus
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2006
    Tina, Really, really great shot.

The blend between the "sharp" and the "soft" is very smooth. I know this sounds like an oxymoron but maybe the eyes might be a little too sharp on this soft baby shot? Maybe not. Kind of the same thing Gus was talking about in the previous reply.

It has an "old masters" quality to the shot. A real winner.thumb.gif
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2006
    Tina,
    I'm a big fan of your work. This shot is one of your best. The lighting is truly fantastic. Can you share with us your lighting setup? Many of us are struggling to achieve this kind of look with child portraiture.

My only suggestion is for a tighter crop losing some of the space above the child. The pose and angles created by the child are just wonderful!!

Great work!!clap.gifclap.gif
  • JnicholsJnichols Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2006
    This portrait has a painted feel to it. Did you only use Photoshop for post-processing? Lovely photo!
  • leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2006
    excellent work. If anything, the baby head pops out too much. Love the soft treatment....perhaps a bit more softness around the face would help with the transition.

Lee
  • JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2006
    I think it is great! Nice job!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Techman1Techman1 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2006
    Tina,

I really like this photograph. You've done a great job of pulling us directly into the eyes of the child. At least that's where my first view goes.

There is a little bit of darkness behind the child's right foot (maybe part of the shoe), it draws my attention to it instead of where I should be looking. You might want to lighten that a bit so that it's not distracting at all.

Again, nice job!

Fred
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2006
    leebase wrote:
    excellent work. If anything, the baby head pops out too much. Love the soft treatment....perhaps a bit more softness around the face would help with the transition.

Lee

15524779-Ti.gif It's almost to the point where the head looks like it was added in to the point where, IMHO, it is almost distracting. Otherwise, i love the pose, colors and everything else.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • GoBlue!GoBlue! Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited January 16, 2006
    Agree
    Frog Lady wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif It's almost to the point where the head looks like it was added in to the point where, IMHO, it is almost distracting. Otherwise, i love the pose, colors and everything else.

15524779-Ti.gif too. I think the eyes & lips are so sharp, that the image looks unreal....sort of like a porcelain doll instead of a baby. I think part of the reason that the head looks pasted on is that the ears are quite sharp, but the hair is totally softened. Gives a very unnatural look with regard to DOF.

Great image, though. I'd just tone down the sharpening a bit & it'll be perfect!! (in my opinion, that is..... :) )

Jim