Policies Shooting Natl & State Parks

Tom PotterTom Potter Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
edited September 10, 2016 in The Big Picture
Hi There,

I've searched online and find different answers. Does anyone know, or can someone refer me to a link, or whatever, that will tell me whether a photographer needs permits to sell for profit, photos of natl and state parks?

Thx,

Tom
Tom Potter
www.tompotterphotography.com
Email: tom@tompotterphotography.com
Landscape, Nature Photographic Prints For Sale
Focusing On Colorado

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited September 2, 2016
    I just did a search for
    photography permits site:www.nps.gov
    That search returned different pages for each park. It may be that the policies are the same but I wasn't able to find a National Park Service-wide page. Here's the photography permits page for Independence National Historic Park. I've looked at the pages for several other parks; they are similar but not the same.

Given that there is no relationship between state parks in different states you would need to check state-by-state (if not park-by-park).

--- Denise
  • Tom PotterTom Potter Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2016
    I just did a search for
    photography permits site:www.nps.gov
    That search returned different pages for each park. It may be that the policies are the same but I wasn't able to find a National Park Service-wide page. Here's the photography permits page for Independence National Historic Park. I've looked at the pages for several other parks; they are similar but not the same.

Given that there is no relationship between state parks in different states you would need to check state-by-state (if not park-by-park).

--- Denise

Denise, thank u SO much :O)
    Tom Potter
    Focusing On Colorado
    edited September 10, 2016
    Hey Denise and Anyone Else,

I inquired about selling for profit, images of state parks. This is one of the replies I received, in regard to just one specific state park:

"Permits are required for any commercial activity in state parks. If you are selling your photographs, that makes it a commercial activity. Please be aware that you can receive a citation if you sell photos of the park without a permit."

Can I please get your take on this? Would you consider selling scenic photo images to be commercial photography? It has always been my understanding that it would be commercial if the images were used in advertisements, brochures, etc.

Thank You,

Tom
    Tom Potter
    Focusing On Colorado
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    Tom Potter wrote: »
    I inquired about selling for profit, images of state parks. This is one of the replies I received, in regard to just one specific state park:

"Permits are required for any commercial activity in state parks. If you are selling your photographs, that makes it a commercial activity. Please be aware that you can receive a citation if you sell photos of the park without a permit."

Can I please get your take on this? Would you consider selling scenic photo images to be commercial photography? It has always been my understanding that it would be commercial if the images were used in advertisements, brochures, etc.
    I would think if you are making money from selling your photos that would be considered a commercial activity.

Have you looked at the permits? It seems like there is a gray area here in that you aren't selling your photographs in the park - you are selling photographs of the park. Does the permit cover only activity in the park or does it go beyond that?

You might consider getting copies of the permits and consulting an attorney. I wouldn't base a legal decision on guesswork from this forum.

--- Denise
    I would think if you are making money from selling your photos that would be considered a commercial activity.

Have you looked at the permits? It seems like there is a gray area here in that you aren't selling your photographs in the park - you are selling photographs of the park. Does the permit cover only activity in the park or does it go beyond that?

You might consider getting copies of the permits and consulting an attorney. I wouldn't base a legal decision on guesswork from this forum.

--- Denise

I will have to take a look at the permits. Thanks Denise :O)
    Tom Potter
    Focusing On Colorado