Nikon D810 Grey Market

dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
edited September 8, 2016 in Cameras
Any reason not to buy the grey market version which is now available for about $2,000?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comments

• NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2016
    If it ever needs serviced AFAIK Nikon USA wont touch it so you're effectively buying a camera with no warranty. I'd probably be more comfortable buying used from KEH than grey market.
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2016
    I read on Nikon Rumors that they are allowing some grey products to be serviced by third party sellers. http://nikonrumors.com/2016/09/05/grey-market-nikon-d810-1999-99-and-yes-you-can-repair-it-in-the-us.aspx/ not sure of details.

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited September 7, 2016
    I read the same "rumor". If you value your money, check with Nikon before buying grey/gray market goods.

I would recommend Nikon refurbished over grey/gray market, and NikonsandVstroms is correct that KEH.com is extremely fair, accurate in their descriptions of the products, and (currently) offers a 180 day warranty on used goods. (KEH Warranty Information)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited September 7, 2016
    Sounds like good advice from both of you. Appreciate it. I'll hold off for a good used deal or new non-grey market. By the way, what are your opinions of the D810?

edited September 7, 2016
    As usual, your intended use should dictate the particular body/bodies to recommend. Please tell us how you would use the camera. Also relate which lenses you currently own.

I've been looking at the Nikon D800, D800E and D810 for some time. While I'm just getting started with a Nikon system and now have 3 - Nikon DX bodies, I am looking at possible choices for a Nikon FX body.

I've been using my father's Nikon stuff for some years, most recently to document visitors of my father to help him remember the visits. When he passed, he left all of the photographic stuff to me, including his Nikon collection. Most of the Nikon collection is manual focus, and his only digital body was the Nikon D70.

In order to test the lenses, some of which are AF-D type, I bought a D7100 and then very recently a D7200. In order to "fully" test the prior Nikkor FX lenses I am always looking at used FX bodies. To be honest I'll probably wait until a used D750 becomes available, as it most closely matches other needs, but the D8xx series is enticing, and some of the lenses might be appropriate on one of those bodies.

(I'm explaining all of this because many folks know that I am primarily a Canon shooter.)

Anyway, the D810 is a nice all-rounder body, if you can accept the "very" large file sizes produced. Typical applications are for landscape, portraiture (especially groups), studio work and art conservation work.

It's not really a sports/action body, but some folks are using it that way.
    ziggy53
    edited September 7, 2016
    I'm currently using a D7000. Been shooting a lot of theater photography at high iso. Am not happy with the quality. I have some nice fx lenses. 70-200 2.8 VRII. And others. I'm thinking of going full frame vs crop sensor.

Dave
    edited September 7, 2016
    Yes, I should think that the Nikon D810, or any of the D8xx series for that matter, would be good for that application. Do look at moire/aliasing remediation techniques for those occasional situations which can occur with the D800E and D810. (Not generally a problem, but just in case.)

Mostly just uses LAB color space and some smoothing on either the luminance, and/or A or B channels, recombining and converting back to RGB space at the end. For a bit more advanced technique: http://www.dbphoto.net/techniques/moire/

Your AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II plus a couple of fast primes should get you going. (Partly depending on shooting location.)
    ziggy53
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2016
    dlscott56 wrote: »
    I'm currently using a D7000. Been shooting a lot of theater photography at high iso. Am not happy with the quality. I have some nice fx lenses. 70-200 2.8 VRII. And others. I'm thinking of going full frame vs crop sensor.

Dave

I do work in theaters with a D7200/D750 right now, I can tell you that even from the D7100 the D7200 was an improvement so it might be worth a look. The extra reach and especially AF coverage on DX is nice but you take a 1 stop noise penalty. Otherwise the 2 cameras IQ wise behave very similar with pretty flexible RAW files so if it's performance increase is enough for you sticking with DX might be a viable option.

For FX unless you have another type of photography that demands the resolution I'd say go for the D750 over the D810. The 810 is actually a little bit noisier even when normalized to the same size so you'll have better high ISO image quality with the 750.

I personally went with the 750 over the 810 because my work doesn't need the higher resolution. And the file sizes fill up cards and hard drives faster along with being slower to process and while I could work on them with my current computer there's more lag than I'd like.

But for something more solid to look at check out this link, I set it up with a comparison of the D7000, 810, 750, and 7200:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison/fullscreen?attr18=lowlight&attr13_0=nikon_d7000&attr13_1=nikon_d810&attr13_2=nikon_d750&attr13_3=nikon_d7200&attr15_0=raw&attr15_1=raw&attr15_2=raw&attr15_3=raw&attr16_0=6400&attr16_1=6400&attr16_2=6400&attr16_3=6400&normalization=compare&widget=1&x=0.12019753086419765&y=0.6322533136966126

And I second Ziggy's suggestion of fast primes. The Nikkor 85 1.8G has been great when I'm relatively close with FX or as a short telephoto on DX.
    edited September 8, 2016
    Thanks, I'll take a look.

Dave