Options

Something to consider....

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited October 20, 2016 in Other Cool Shots
This idea of bunching similar subject shots into their own generalized categories ( all the water shots, the rust shots, etc., etc. ) has, to my observation, significantly reduced the incidence of constructive feedback for the shooter. Yes, some feedback has transpired....but nothing like it used to be. This forum was constructed to be a learning environment but this current trend has largely become a show-and-tell, get a pat on the back ( maybe ) and move on.

For those members who find this set-up to be sufficient for their needs, by all means, hang with it. I'll be going back to individual postings simply because I think it's more productive as an educational tool.
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2016
    While I don't disagree...

Viewers can ask questions (like I have)

And offer incidental information about the shots (like I have)

The good part is the increased interest of views and the broad spectrum shots that observers can use in their own photography (I've learned things & I thought I knew it all.. just kidding)

I think the engagement has value... I was getting bored with my photography

Just one man's opinion

One can always view both...
    Rags
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited September 8, 2016
    This idea of bunching similar subject shots into their own generalized categories ( all the water shots, the rust shots, etc., etc. ) has, to my observation, significantly reduced the incidence of constructive feedback for the shooter. Yes, some feedback has transpired....but nothing like it used to be. This forum was constructed to be a learning environment but this current trend has largely become a show-and-tell, get a pat on the back ( maybe ) and move on.
    I enjoy seeing some of the entries in these threads but I think that the activity in these threads is taking away from other threads in this forum simply because of the number of posts. It seems that other (smaller) threads are getting a bit lost.

I have mixed feelings though because at least these bunched threads are attracting activity to the forum.

--- Denise
  • Options
    pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,780 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2016
    I see what you are saying, so maybe we ask the regular contributors to these "themed" threads to regularly post an individual picture for more elaborate comments in it's own thread, as well as comment on others people's "lone" pictures.

I think the solution is doing something more, and not do less of what's happening naturally at the moment.

I'll try and see if it helps.
    Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,831 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2016
    Although I happily view and contribute to these threads I certainly understand Tom's point. They are not necessarily about c&c but about sharing and social activity. I enjoy seeing other peoples' pictures and also the dialog and learning on all levels that occurs (about photography as well as people and places).

Recently I've wondered if it would be a good idea to pull out these threads and put them in a new forum area - the title "Other Cool Shots" suggests single photos to me. I'm not sure what it could be called, perhaps something like "Themed Threads" - I'm sure someone could come up with a better idea.

I think in general there's not too much c&c going on. We discussed this a few months back. IMO, part of it's due to the fact that some of the pictures are pretty darned good and there's not much to say. On the other side some people don't react well to c&c - when I get the feeling comments are not welcome then I just won't comment on that person's work any more. I'm also of the opinion that many people don't know how to give or receive criticism - it's getting to be a lost art. It also takes time to view a photo critically and write more than just "that's great" - and time is not always a plentiful asset. I know I have periods where I can take more time to write and other times it's as much as I can do to look at a few threads, and I assume that it's similar for most of us.

Just my thoughts...
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited September 9, 2016
    Recently I've wondered if it would be a good idea to pull out these threads and put them in a new forum area - the title "Other Cool Shots" suggests single photos to me. I'm not sure what it could be called, perhaps something like "Themed Threads" - I'm sure someone could come up with a better idea.
    I've been thinking the same thing. The activity on these themed threads is good but it overwhelms other threads in the forum.

--- Denise
  • Options
    pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,780 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2016
    You could consider creating a forum called "themed views" and move them there.
    Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2016
    Sara brings up a good point about time.... and c&c

I haven't been on this site much lately except for the themed threads

I have found a lot of the older shots rather boring... I like some treatments of rust - but how much can you take?

The themed threads brought looks of around the world and that interests me

The active viewer population of these websites change, with these changes comes different interests

The current population is very considerate of each other and that's a good thing; for most of the time - but maybe not for learning

I don't fall on the side of a new forum; once created it reduces views on both forums (just my experience... ) and many viewers don't go back
    Rags
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2016
    I'm strongly leaning toward a new forum offering....be it called " Themed Threads " or what have you. Those of us looking for the benefits of such a grouping...primarily just wanting to post or view pictures of a particular theme without necessarily getting into C&C...will have a venue more convenient and suitable to their goals. " Other Cool Shots " will continue to invite those folks that are on more of a learning curve and perhaps more interested in sincere C&C. Additionally, the beginning photographer will have a home that's less intimidating. Putting your stuff up against some of this " themed " stuff ( which is often our best ) can certainly stunt the enthusiasm of the beginner.

Obviously, some of us are likely to visit both venues. We're used to doing that anyway, what with the other sub-forums that exist.
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2016
    ...They are not necessarily about c&c but about sharing and social activity

+1

I think in general there's not too much c&c going on. We discussed this a few months back. IMO, part of it's due to the fact that some of the pictures are pretty darned good and there's not much to say. On the other side some people don't react well to c&c - when I get the feeling comments are not welcome then I just won't comment on that person's work any more. I'm also of the opinion that many people don't know how to give or receive criticism - it's getting to be a lost art. It also takes time to view a photo critically and write more than just "that's great" - and time is not always a plentiful asset. I know I have periods where I can take more time to write and other times it's as much as I can do to look at a few threads, and I assume that it's similar for most of us.

Imo, here's always something to say about any(body's) pic, since this lark is totally subjective.
    Within the very narrow genres of interest to me, I see many pics that generate shed loads of 'awesomes' etc that demand a more critical / analytical appraisal (imo) - which, in the past, I've tried to give.

Doing this takes time, as mentioned above, and is certainly not always appreciated (imo) ... so I rarely bother these days.

Likewise posting stuff in some of the themed threads relevant to my interests - eg water and bokeh / soft bgs.
    Since I mainly take pics of waterfowl and aim for 'textured / painterly, oof' bgs, I could probably post examples of this sort of stuff all day ... but I work on the basis that if people want to get an idea of what I'm after, they'll visit my website ... and if they're bored stupid of 'yet more duckpix' they'll avoid it like the plague.

(Personally, I'll invariably check out a person's website to get an overview of what they're trying to achieve.)

Incidentally, I feel the same way about threads that the OP keeps adding (loads) more of their own pics to ... essentially creating a new 'gallery' thread, when they've often got a website that ppl can visit - why?

pp
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,922 moderator
    Thanks for starting this thread, Tom.

I'm ambivalent about these threads. On the one hand, they do seem to be creating more activity, which is good. But it's also true that the amount of constructive criticism in the Shots forums has been declining, though I think that's been true for a long time. That's a big loss to me, as I learned a lot from C&C when I first joined Dgrin. I suppose there's no reason we can't have both.

I suspect that creating a new forum for these threads will create as many problems as it solves. Dgrin shots forums are mostly organized by genres, with the exception of challenges. This would create another exception, which might make it more confusing where pics belong. As a regular visitor, I browse using the New Stuff button, and the listing that gives would not change even if we create a new forum. As a techie, I know how to create a custom bookmark to exclude any forum if I want, but most people don't bother with that. I suppose that a dedicated forum might be useful if the only thing people are interested in is sharing, not C&C, but I suspect there are better options for that than Dgrin out on the net, including our own personal galleries.

I do have one suggestion to make: we could impose a limit of one image per person --Post Your Best X Shot Here. That might prevent the threads from becoming dumping grounds and result in a more satisfying experience for the visitor.
  • Options
    This is a good discussion

and thanks to Tom from me also... thumb.gif
    Rags
  • Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2016
    Great discussion, great points. Like many others with busy lives, I don't always have the time to give a detailed comment. I always assumed (I know, shame on me) that these forums were about C&C.

I have benefitted greatly by giving and receiving critiques, I have learned so much in these exchanges of different points of view. Over time it seems more people are interested only in showing their work and not getting a pointed critique, exchange of ideas, improvements or other possibilities.

Me? I'm no pro, and can use all the help or suggestions available. There are some contributors here, that all I can say is "Wow" and try to learn from their postings.

Thanks all,

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2016

For those members who find this set-up to be sufficient for their needs, by all means, hang with it. I'll be going back to individual postings simply because I think it's more productive as an educational tool.

Thank you Tom. I much prefer to look and comment on individual pics, while I have looked at the threads I am not as inclined to comment.
  • Options
    edited September 13, 2016
    +1

Incidentally, I feel the same way about threads that the OP keeps adding (loads) more of their own pics to ... essentially creating a new 'gallery' thread, when they've often got a website that ppl can visit - why?

pp

I read this comment and thought about it for a while and wondered, why the question.

I visited Pauls site and I must say - it shows very nice work... Congrats

I can post more pictures than most because my photography interests are not narrow.

That's not better or worse - just different

My camera has brought me places in the world that I never would have gone to...

How did I find out about them? Through photos on the internet...

I've traveled by motorcycle cross country and back (10,000km) to shot motorcycle racing in Daytona for years

I traveled to Baja Mexico for the races for years and on the way back shot Salton Sea birds and Death Valley dunes

I've gone to Europe different times, India, then Tibet

Why?, because I wanted to photograph the places and their people

When there is a themed thread I dig thru my website (that has thousand of pics) to come up with one that fits the moment; it also allows me to remember & relive part of it.

Do people come to my website? I don't know or really care; it's simply storage for me

Do I sell my work? ... not really - altho' I do do some commissioned stuff

I really don't have ego about this stuff... like or don't - it's all the same to me

My hope is that one of my shots will inspire somebody to take their camera there and shoot up the place

These themed threads have been the most fun I've had on this site...

I hope that answers your question Paul
    Rags
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2016
    Perhaps the 'post your' photos should have a section all their own. i have nothing against them however at first I thought it was required to post a particular photo in the required thread.