Options

Abandoned

roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
edited September 12, 2016 in Other Cool Shots
Found down a dirt track in the Palouse area.

B%26W%20Ford2-L.jpg

C&C always welcomed.
I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited September 11, 2016
    I love abandoned old trucks in the outback, and I like monochrome images a lot, too. I always try to consider conversions of a strong image to monochrome as I am processing it.

But I am not sure that monochrome works for this image for my eye. Do you have a color version, perhaps? The bed of the truck seems to just disappear in the grey of the grass on the right.

Jay Maisel always says "color kills shapes", but I'm not sure that "shape" is that strong graphically in this image. I miss the color, I think.

I am left wondering if there were nice dark rust reds and cool greens in the image originally. I do like the darkened sky.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    15524779-Ti.gif

Great find on the subject. I just don't feel that B&W works that well here. Highly subjective, however.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    pathfinder wrote: »
    I love abandoned old trucks in the outback, and I like monochrome images a lot, too. I always try to consider conversions of a strong image to monochrome as I am processing it.

But I am not sure that monochrome works for this image for my eye. Do you have a color version, perhaps? The bed of the truck seems to just disappear in the grey of the grass on the right.

Jay Maisel always says "color kills shapes", but I'm not sure that "shape" is that strong graphically in this image. I miss the color, I think.

I am left wondering if there were nice dark rust reds and cool greens in the image originally. I do like the darkened sky.
    15524779-Ti.gif

Great find on the subject. I just don't feel that B&W works that well here. Highly subjective, however.

Take care,

Tom

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. This was an earlier attempt at B&W conversion. I always felt it was kind of flat, but enjoyed it.

Here is the color version.

Roadtrip6-07%20021-2-L.jpg

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    I like both! The b&w has more impact I think! Cheers!
  • Options
    edited September 12, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    I like both! The b&w has more impact I think! Cheers!

Thanks Taz. For me, the 2 versions feel totally distinctive. The b&w makes it feel older and more abandoned. The color version has a warm glow, that makes it seem as you could get in and drive it away.

Phil